What rear axle/diff is this?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What rear axle/diff is this?

Gsmblue
I am confused as there is no bolt pattern! What am I dealing with here??

1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What rear axle/diff is this?

salans7
That is the famed Ford 9". It was phased out around 83 or 84 in favor of the Ford 8.8.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Ha! Thank you, is that a good thing?

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Yes, they're generally regarded as being one of the strongest 5 lug axle housings you can get. Of course they have their limits, but they're very solid right out of the factory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
Shaun - The 9" continued through '86:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I seem to remember reading years ago on eff tee wee that the ratio of 9" trucks to 8.8" trucks was in favor of the 8.8 for the last few years of bullnose.

That's why I referred to it as being phased out, rather than stating that it was discontinued.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
So now I need to learn about 9inch rear ends and how to stop the leaks!  fun!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll see if I can get the 9" writeup from the FSM up on the website.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Just watched a few videos. I can do the gasket on the pumpkin, but if the axle seals are gone, that is a pain!!! I don’t have a press for starters.. grrrr

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
There are many reasons to swap to an 8.8" when that 9" becomes unusable.

The main advantage to the 9" - the reason it's so popular - is that WHEN (not "if") it grenades, you can swap out the chunk relatively quickly.  That's a big plus at a race, or when you go off-roading far from home or civilization.

But the 9" is MORE LIKELY to grenade than the 8.8" because the 9" is mechanically weaker, in several ways.  Ford (which designed both axles) switched to the stronger axle with the better overall design beginning in '83 and finishing in '86.  The highest factory rating for the 9 was ~3200 lbs; for the 8.8, it started around ~3500 & approaches 5000 lbs.  Even though the aftermarket is still producing upgraded modernized 9" axles, the 8.8" was chosen for the Rally Fighter project, which was a ~500 hp off-road vehicle.

So for a typical street vehicle, the 8.8" is the better choice.  And with a little effort, it can be had with factory disk brakes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
That is Steve. the 9 inch rear end looks a pain to work on....

I think that a switch to 8.8 will happen some time between the 3G alternator and the rear main seal...

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
If the Ford 9" is so weak as far as "grenading" why does every NASCAR team use one? A NASCAR "stock" car chassis is a real interesting collection of the best for their usage designs, front suspension is derived from the 1957-64 Ford, rear suspension is derived from the 60s Chevrolet pickup truck coil spring system with the long trailing arms and track bar. Rear axles are a full floating Ford 9" using (by now) an aftermarket  nodular iron or even steel "pumpkin".

Many drag racers use the Ford 9" center section as the straddle mount pinion design is very strong. Yes, wheel bearings and seals can be a PITA to do, I usually cut the old bearing down with my angle grinder along with the bearing retainer to get a bad bearing off. I never in all my years of having Ford cars and trucks had to replace an actual axle in a Ford 8" or 9" or even the late big car 9 3/8". The 8.8" style, great design, no inner wheel bearing race, just let the rollers ride on the axle surface, fairly easy to replace, and probably will need an axle at the same time.

I personally hate the "no inner race" style axles whoever made them, I have seen to damn many with the "inner race" area so bad that only a new or nearly virgin used axle is needed.

"Your mileage may vary "
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
85lebaront2 wrote
...why does every NASCAR team use one?
I already answered that:
Steve83 wrote
...you can swap out the chunk relatively quickly.  That's a big plus at a race...
Every mechanism wears eventually - the 8.8" is no different.

But it's a better design overall, and substantially stronger than the 9.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I don't know enough to compare a stock 9" to a stock 8.8".  I know there're both pretty good half-ton axles, but I'm not going to say which is better.

But if you're looking to build a stronger axle I've got to believe that you can go farther with a 9" simply because so many racers use it.  There are aftermarket center sections, gears, even housings that are way stronger than stock 9" parts and likely even a lot better than most 1 ton axles.  But you're nowhere near stock axles at that point.  So while it can answer why NASCAR and drag racers use them, it doesn't mean that "you" necessarily should (whoever "you" are), because the 9" axle "you" have will probably cost $10,000 or so less than the ones being used in racing.

And again, not that the stock 9" is bad at all.  But a stock 9" isn't what racers are using.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Thanks for all the input.

No racing here, just want a reliable set up that I can use day to day and not have oil stains everywhere.

My biggest concern is I do not have the right equipment to service the 9 inch. I may end up pulling it a part and seeing if a local shop will replace the bearings/seals on the axels for me. I can do the pinion and gasket.  But this goes from a $50 job to a $200-$300+ job real quick.

I know I have big money to spend on this truck in the not to distant future, I just did not think it would be here. The engine rear main needs replacing and there is a leak on the transmission somewhere.. Both out of my scope, and this axel is looking the same way.. Need to think more..

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Hmmm. looks like I have both axles. 9" in the 82, and 8.8" in the 87 Bronco. I like PARTS...

I'm going to take after Gary and have an entire floor in a building dedicated to storing PARTS!!!
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
Steve, what do you mean switch to factory disc brakes? Were any bulls manufactured with disc brakes? Or dyou mean swapp9ng them from somewhere else?
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
The old school way of replacing those bearings is to cut them off, cutoff wheel or carefully with a torch. Then to put the new bearing on find a long piece of pipe to fit the diameter of the bearing that is longer than the axle and use a big hammer to install. Have done this many of times. Or some parts stores will press the bearings on for a small fee.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by blackdog
blackdog wrote
Steve, what do you mean switch to factory disc brakes?
blackdog wrote
Were any bulls manufactured with disc brakes?
No.