What parts for a 300?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What parts for a 300?

Sac79
Before I emptied my piggy bank on expensive parts I thought I'd ask for some advice and see what experiences others have had.

I am determined to rid my truck of the computer since I'm sure it's not capable of running in it's intended state anymore. Thanks to previous owners.

My engine is standard, so I'm not looking for crazy power or amazing MPGs, but improvements in both and simplifying everything would be great.

I don't really want to go to a junkyard and get parts that are older than what was on my truck...

I also want to get rid of the current manifold set. So I'm 99% sure I'm buying headers and an aftermarket intake manifold. I've looked at the Clifford kit, but I believe I can get everything for less money separately.

The headers available from Summit appears to be the best price. Then they have the option of the Offenhauser C series or Dual Port, not sure if the latter is worth the slight premium, maybe?

I'm looking at an Edelbrock 1403/4(undecided on electric v manual)...

And then a HEI Distributor, or maybe just replacement parts for a pre-feedback model.

Anyway, advice, opinions or own experiences would be much appreciated. I've been procrastinating over this for a while now...
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What parts for a 300?

1986F150Six
Administrator
You will be working with a great engine! It is a truck engine, so will deliver its power [torque] at a low RPM range.

Consider the EFI exhaust manifolds [factory]. They will be less expensive than headers, will not tend to rust out and will not have the under hood heat problems associated with headers.

The open "C" type intake offers more flexibility regarding carburetor [2 or 4 barrel] and orientation.

The HEI distributor is easy to wire up [requires a relay], but the Ford Duraspark distributor [1983 and back] does an excellent job. That is what I have.

This will get the conversation started!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
1986F150Six wrote
...but the Ford Duraspark distributor [1983 and back] does an excellent job.
And you can still buy all new stuff too, right?

Ford Duraspark module (Ford modules still available for cheap)
DSII harness (Doesn't Painless wiring offer this?)
Distributor and coil.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Rob, I have chosen to keep mine mostly stock, but have deleted the feedback ignition and carburetion system. My quest has been for fuel efficiency. I am going to attach a link to a report of my truck. Perhaps it will give you some ideas.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1325963-gas-mileage-recipe-4-9l-300-a.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
I agree with David on everything he said, inc the bit about the Motorcraft dizzy.  But if you decide to go with a one-wire unit, which includes the HEI, see the Ignition Simplification tab here: Documentation/Electrical/Ignition.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
1986F150Six wrote
You will be working with a great engine! It is a truck engine, so will deliver its power [torque] at a low RPM range.

Consider the EFI exhaust manifolds [factory]. They will be less expensive than headers, will not tend to rust out and will not have the under hood heat problems associated with headers.

The open "C" type intake offers more flexibility regarding carburetor [2 or 4 barrel] and orientation.

The HEI distributor is easy to wire up [requires a relay], but the Ford Duraspark distributor [1983 and back] does an excellent job. That is what I have.

This will get the conversation started!
Thanks David, I remember reading your MPG thread back on FTE and thinking the only way I got 18MPG was with the rear brakes not doing their job! I took a trip before properly adjusting the brakes after a brake job and got great mileage, albeit with some dodgy braking...

I think decision made on the intake manifold.

I'm still leaning towards headers. I guess I could check the local junkyards just in case there is a good find on the EFI manifolds. I read somewhere that they require more bolts? But I've also read that the headers make accessing the starter near impossible? I did not know that rust was an issue. I've heard paint is(an issue). What about wraps to combat heat issues?

The ignition system probably deserves some more thought. Maybe some other owners of either system will chime in...

Thanks for the link Gary, this really is the destination for all things Bullnose!

Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
DSII harness (Doesn't Painless wiring offer this?)
That will be the next big purchase... Complete wiring harness, which I would rather not think about yet, but probably should, at least when considering the ignition system. I keep going over mine and thinking "This is still good, isn't it?". But with all the time and effort I've already put in this truck, I'm not terribly fond of 36 year old wires, but I probably will tear the rats nest apart and inspect it properly. Maybe I can convince myself that it is still good and only replace what I'm not happy with.
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sac79
Sac79 wrote
I'm still leaning towards headers. I guess I could check the local junkyards just in case there is a good find on the EFI manifolds. I read somewhere that they require more bolts? But I've also read that the headers make accessing the starter near impossible? I did not know that rust was an issue. I've heard paint is(an issue). What about wraps to combat heat issues?
The block which came with EFI exhaust manifolds [1987+] did come with am additional 3 bolts. This was to help on the assembly line as there now was 3 pieces [intake manifold and 2 [3 into 1] exhaust manifolds and the intake and exhaust manifolds are no longer joined together. The three extra bolts are not necessary. It has been recommended to fabricate am "L" shaped piece which is drilled and captured with the rear most lower bolt on each manifold. This prevents the exhaust manifolds from creeping downward. Others have done the installation [upgrade] without the extra pieces and have not had any problems.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Thanks for clarifying that. I've been to a pick & pull and found a '90 & '95 E150 with a 300, unfortunately neither one has been picked at(which makes the job seem so much harder). Access to the engine bay is terrible compared to our trucks! They only want $29 for exhaust manifolds, I checked and it would be for both pieces, not each. So the money makes it worth it if I can't find a truck with the manifolds. I'm going to some more salvage yards later this week.
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Sac79 wrote
Thanks for clarifying that. I've been to a pick & pull and found a '90 & '95 E150 with a 300, unfortunately neither one has been picked at(which makes the job seem so much harder). Access to the engine bay is terrible compared to our trucks! They only want $29 for exhaust manifolds, I checked and it would be for both pieces, not each. So the money makes it worth it if I can't find a truck with the manifolds. I'm going to some more salvage yards later this week.
ceiling is low but you do have a straight shot from inside the cab with the cover removed on the E-150.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
TheScatch wrote
ceiling is low but you do have a straight shot from inside the cab with the cover removed on the E-150.

Thanks. I found an engine that was already removed at another yard. So it was relatively easy to get the manifolds off. My only hindrance was a lack of tools... Paid $55 for the set. I decided against headers, all the manufacturers state that they're for RWD applications only, plus with the starter issue, paint etc. it just made more sense to go with the EFI manifolds. Now I would just like to get them sandblasted...

Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Sac79 wrote

Thanks. I found an engine that was already removed at another yard. So it was relatively easy to get the manifolds off. My only hindrance was a lack of tools... Paid $55 for the set. I decided against headers, all the manufacturers state that they're for RWD applications only, plus with the starter issue, paint etc. it just made more sense to go with the EFI manifolds. Now I would just like to get them sandblasted...

I bought a 95 E-150 with new E40d and EFI 300 so I know your pain lol. Still up in the air about using that EFI engine or my carbed 300. EFI should give more power and possibly MPG but could be harder to get into my truck with minimal frustration. But either way I want the tranny, its like a C6 with OD. Output seal on the trans is starting to leak, probably just from sitting, but other than that its practically brand new.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
At least you'll have plenty of parts to chooses from. And the correct cylinder head for your manifolds. I'm probably going to have to swap cylinder heads at some point as the fact that the EFI manifolds has bolt holes that don't line up will eventually annoy me too much. But I'll live with it for the time being and see whether or not I like the setup.
Rob