classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What could it be!

Fordboy300
Hey guys, how's it going?

So this weekend I decided to do the yearly tune up and oil on my truck.  My truck has always like to foul the plugs it has been 5 or 6 years since I've rebuilt the engine and recently adjusted and changed the setup spring in the carburetor (edelbrock 500 cfm).  Today I decided to check out the cylinder 1 plug just for fun.  Yep the plug was sooty it alsohad the oil residue on the threads and the ground electrode had started to build up carbon deposits.

My first thoughts are that valve seals could be shot.  But it's only 1,3,5, and 6 that the plug has heavy or light  carbon build up maybe piston rings  but I highly doubt because it burn any oil.

The engine is a Ford 300 six.  
"Big Red" 1986 Ford F150 XL

Ford 300 i6 4.9L  .20 over bore(303 cubic inches now), p&p head, Crower 19212 cam, crower lifter spring kit, cloyes timing gears, EFI manifolds, Offenhauser C-series, Edelbrock 500cfm, DUI Ignition Dizzy, dual in single out magnaflow exhaust dumped before the rear axle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What could it be!

1986F150Six
Administrator
I do not know the answer, but I find it odd that the listed prone-to-foul plugs are in cylinders 1, 3, 5 & 6. What came to my mind is that the firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. Is it possible that the distributor cap has arcing issues?
Reply | Threaded
|

Fordboy300
Funny I just realized that it is the most of the firing order.  Well I'm not sure because it has that fancy D.U.I. distributor.

20180530_110247.jpg 

Ford 300 i6 4.9L  .20 over bore(303 cubic inches now), p&p head, Crower 19212 cam, crower lifter spring kit, cloyes timing gears, EFI manifolds, Offenhauser C-series, Edelbrock 500cfm, DUI Ignition Dizzy, dual in single out magnaflow exhaust dumped before the rear axle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Fordboy300
What is the "setup spring" in the carb?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Fordboy300
The setup springs are the spring that are with the metering rods underneath the cover that are top of the carburetor.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh, I understand.  The springs that step the metering rods up under low vacuum.  So, did you install lighter springs?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Fordboy300
Well the carb came with orange spring which is rated at 5 inches of vaccum and I installed the pink spring which is rated at 7 inches of vaccum.  So I believe I went to a stiffer spring and I adjusted the carburetor because at idle it would just smell like fuel to the point if I let it run in the garage I would have a foggy garage and your eyes would burn. It's also had a little stumble when I would get on it from cruise.  I'm sure i have to change jets and metering rods to get it running like a champ.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
At idle metering rods and other main jet adjustments have no operation value,. They are not part of the idle circuit.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Fordboy300
Yes, you installed a stiffer spring.  Now the mixture will go rich at 7" of vacuum instead of 5" of vacuum.  In other words, it will take less throttle to make it go rich.

But that's when underway.  It doesn't change anything at idle.  Nor do the jets or rods.  Just the mixture screws.  So the foggy garage and burning eyes don't have anything to do with jets, rods, or springs.

As for the stumble when "getting on it from cruise", that depends on how quickly you move the throttle.  If you move it quickly and significantly then that is likely to be not enough accelerator pump.  If you are moving it slowly then that could be the springs, rods, or jets.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
You beat me to it.