What coil springs for 2WD 86 F250?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What coil springs for 2WD 86 F250?

FordFETruck
Looking to buy a new set of coil springs for my 7700 GVWR 2WD F250. I see Moog CC820 and CC822 are the popular ones and rockauto says both can be used but the CC822 is the HD version. Not sure which ones to buy, I need to raise the front end up a bit to hopefully gain some positive caster but don't want it to ride so harsh I get launched into the headliner (happened to me once already going over a brand-new speed bump at work) I noticed this past year the front end has been sitting lower and lower, I guess the coil springs have had it. I don't have near the positive camber I used to either. Steering return to center the last 1/4 turn also sucks, it's always sucked but it's gotten worse with the front end sitting lower. Truck has kingpins so I can't use any adjustment bushings. I do have these offset radius arm bushings I will install at the same time as new springs, hopefully it's enough.
1986 F250 351W, C6, 10.25 Semi float 3.55 gear, 250K Miles

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What coil springs for 2WD 86 F250?

thelastkeg
I have an 85 F250 2WD, GVWR of 6300.  It's the light duty 250 with the semi-float rear axle.  It has a 351, automatic, with A/C, and everything said the Moog CC822 springs would work.  They do work, and the stiffness of the ride is fine.  I like the spring height, since I had also replaced the rear springs with heavier duty ones.  But I'm going on 9 years with them and there is still a little too much postive camber even when the truck is unloaded.  I've read that a good alignment shop that has been around a long time could fix it with some different alignment bushing or something like that, but I don't really have a shop around me that I'm comfortable with.  If I had it to do over again I would try out the CC820 springs.  You can kind of see the positive camber in this picture, and it's actually a little exaggerated here due to the uneveness of the parking area.  On a level spot, you can still see the positive camber, and the tire wear confirms it.

Alan
2000 Ford F350 7.3
1998 Ford F150 4.2
1995 Ford F150 302
1985 Ford F250 351/C6
1986 Ford F150 300/NP435/NP208F
1952 Chevy 4100
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by FordFETruck
I cheated on Darth, I had a pair of sway bars from an HD F250 and was not able to get the front attachments off the axles as they are part of the lower spring seats on the 1990. I found a pair of stamped brackets that are listed for the 1986 2WD hd suspension. These are somewhere between 1/4 - 3/8" thick and after installing them under the spring seats it raised the front probably 1/2" which was enough to put the camber back where it needed to be.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

FordFETruck
Thanks for the replies. I wound up buying the CC820 set, I do have an aluminum top end on the engine and no emissions equipment anymore, so that removed what, 80-90 pounds off the front end of the truck in total? that should help. I also have polyurethane offset radius arm bushings that are supposed to give + or - 2 degrees caster depending how they are installed. I'll probably put them in after the new year. My truck has those swat bar mounts under the springs already, but no sway bar. Never has had one up front, must've broken on someone in the past and they removed it.

The new springs are progressive rate, the old ones are constant rate. I sure hope that helps with ride quality and bump steer, it's pretty aggressive on bad roads.
1986 F250 351W, C6, 10.25 Semi float 3.55 gear, 250K Miles