What are the symptoms of a bad or weak ignition coil?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What are the symptoms of a bad or weak ignition coil?

LARIAT 85
Look for a stock coil bracket for a late 1960s 289 or 302 engine before emissions controls.  Here is a short description of the different coil brackets (with pictures and part numbers) that Ford used to mount the coils:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/tech-qa/1808-coil-bracket-issues-vintage-mustang-tech-questions-answers

I like the way you think.  I used stock Ford alternator brackets from an earlier non-emissions model to mount the alternator in a better location when I deleted the thermactor on my truck.  It looks a LOT better without that huge thermactor bracket, and the alternator is now mounted higher up so I can actually get to it.  And since I used OEM Ford parts, no one can tell it isn't stock to my truck.

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What are the symptoms of a bad or weak ignition coil?

Rembrant
Thanks for the info Rick.

I still have the original smog pump bracket, but I cut all of the upper parts off of it. I may make a custom coil mount that sits on top of that bracket...we'll see. It's low priority at the moment, but I am contemplating installing a different carb and if I do that the coil is going to need to move.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995