classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What New Member Process Should We Use?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, now that we have the barn door shut on the spam 'bots, let's think about what the process should be for joining this forum.  I've done some research and it appears that many Nabble forums are getting hit, so it isn't just us.  And, maybe Nabble will implement something that will prevent it, but we don't know that they will.

So, please put your "new user" hat on and help us think through the best process via which they can gain access.  And, remember that the goal of this site is to help others, so we need to balance how protective we want to be with how easy it is for them to join.

Toward that end I see three choices, as outlined below, with a fourth as "other".
What "new user" process should we use?
This poll is closed.   
This poll ended on .
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What New Member Process Should We Use?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I like hazing by dunking.
If they admit they're a witch burn them at the stake.
If they drown, they *were* a witch.
If they survive they can join.

No, really I'd go for #3 because we are aware that spam bots can all pass a Captcha now.
But if they pass Gary's Turing test they might as well be in
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I like your approach, but fear that there may be some backlash against us for drowning witches. After all, several visited our front door two days ago and no one seemed concerned, and they are all over television.  đź¤”

Anyway, it looks like 9 people have voted, but I can’t tell what they voted for. Perhaps the reveal doesn’t happen until the week is over so that people aren’t influenced. I guess we will wait and see.

Edit: I can see how they voted. Can y’all?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I second this motion!  

I'm up for the hazing too.. Old school, we need to quit babying the later generations.....  
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

jdavidsmi
I'm for #3, as a newbie myself the information and help I have received is well worth a few minuets of my time. Having them supply as much information about their truck as possible, right from the start, saves a lot of guess work about what you are dealing with.

Knowing where to put the information and what would be most helpful, was the real issue for me, but everyone was very patient with me as I figured it out.
David,
1984 F150 LX, 4x4 117 wheel base, Engine Code "F" = 302, 5.0 2/B,
Transmission code "A" = 4sp manual New Process model 435
Axle code "19" = 3.55 (ford 8.8) manf.  08/1983, in Norfolk
DSO code "21" AtlantaFactory Air Conditioner, Dash with Gauges
1990 Goldwing 1500
1986 F150 XLT, short bed, 5.0 automatic
2004 F53 Fleetwood Terra motor home
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
Home town Viola Tennessee
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
David - I’m not sure I understand. Saying “Having them supply as much information as possible right from the start” sounds like you are voting for #2. The intent was that the New Member area would be the only place they could post. And once they post about themselves and their truck I would make them a member.

But that still leaves the New Member area open to spam, and they could fill that up as easily as the normal posting area. So it doesn’t seem to help much, if any.

Anyway, did I misunderstand?

Reply | Threaded
|

jdavidsmi
Gary, I reread the responses and I believe # 3 would be the way to go, so disregard everything past that. Just me overthinking a problem.

The bit about providing as much information as possible, is in response to so many times you and the other guys have had to ask for more information about the truck before an answer could be given. A lot of us newbie 's just don't realize how many different versions of the Bullnose there are.

David,
1984 F150 LX, 4x4 117 wheel base, Engine Code "F" = 302, 5.0 2/B,
Transmission code "A" = 4sp manual New Process model 435
Axle code "19" = 3.55 (ford 8.8) manf.  08/1983, in Norfolk
DSO code "21" AtlantaFactory Air Conditioner, Dash with Gauges
1990 Goldwing 1500
1986 F150 XLT, short bed, 5.0 automatic
2004 F53 Fleetwood Terra motor home
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
Home town Viola Tennessee
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
David - Ok, I understand.  Thanks.

By the way folks, someone voted for "Some other process you suggest", but without suggesting the process.  So I'm going to have to discount that vote unless said person tells us what the process should be.  And believe me, I'd be happy to entertain another process.  I just haven't thought of one.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I told you what 'some other process' should be!  

What don't you understand?

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh. I guess I misunderstood. 🤔

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
If we can't use the witch test, perhaps we should demand a shrubbery? Maybe I watch too much Monty Python?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
LOL!  Your parrot's dead.