What Do We Call THE HANGOUT? THE LOUNGE?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What Do We Call THE HANGOUT? THE LOUNGE?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It has been suggested that we have a stickied thread to discuss off-topic things.  Back in the day things.  Who knows what things.

But, what to call it?  That's what this poll is for.  I'll suggest a few and you can either vote for one of them or suggest another.  If enough of y'all seem to like one of the suggestions I'll add it to the poll.

Rules are you get one vote, but you can change your vote.
What should we call "it"?
This poll is closed.   
This poll ended on .
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What Do We Call THE HANGOUT? THE LOUNGE?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary,

If I were a guest in your house should I just hang a new picture of my liking on the wall?
Nope.
It would be polite to ask first.

Thanks for this.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I hope you are a guest in my house one of these days, Jim.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thank you for the invite, Gary.

If I still had any family living in Broken Arrow I probably would have been by already.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I voted for The Lounge. Back in the old days (1999?) when I first got into these internet truck forums, I was on a 4x4 one that had a "Lounge" and it was pretty cool. There's another that I visit once in a while that has a bar...essentially "Gary's Bar"...lol.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So: current events, history, family milestones, pets, hobbies, around the house advice?
Who has suggestions for more topics?

I'd suggest we don't wade too deep into politics or religion.
That always seems like blood in the water.
Although I'd love to hear about your grandkids baptism or you running for mayor.

Gary, are there any rules in the lounge besides being respectful?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think being respectful and staying away from profanity probably covers it.  However, I'm not sure I can be respectful when it comes to politics, so I'd hope we steer far away from that.

As for religion, I don't see that as being nearly the problem of politics.  And most religious people are respectful, so perhaps it won't be an issue.

We can post the few rules at the top of the to-be thread, but they'll get lost very quickly so I'm not sure that will be very helpful.  Let's just be nice to each other.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Gary Lewis wrote
I think being respectful and staying away from profanity probably covers it.  However, I'm not sure I can be respectful when it comes to politics, so I'd hope we steer far away from that.
Of course, the impetus for this entire discussion was me publicly shying away from a political discussion...

Mind you, I think a prohibition on politics in the Lounge is entirely warranted.  I don't know anyone's politics here, and frankly I don't care to.  Politics is one major reason I abandoned all social media earlier this year (the other major reason would lead to a political discussion...); I have some strong opinions on the topic, my friends also have strong opinions, and those opinions were getting in the way of our being friends.  I hope for that not to happen here.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Matthew,
I am genuinely apologetic if you felt my comment was political, rather than an observation of the changing face of manufacturing here in Connecticut.

I never intended it that way, and I hear you loud and clear on avoiding the polarization of social media.

I don't think Dave was going there either...

At any rate I'm glad you spoke up, and pointed it out to me.
My ASD makes me pretty blind to social mores and I find I can often make a simple observation that other more neurotypical people take offense to.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Matthew,
I am genuinely apologetic if you felt my comment was political, rather than an observation of the changing face of manufacturing here in Connecticut.
No no no...*I* made the reference to politics, not you!  I made a show of shying away from it (essentially saying "I could say something here, but I won't"), so you haven't the slightest thing to apologize for.  If anyone should be apologizing here, it's me...

...and thus we illustrate the problem with politics.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Alright then....

Once again I misinterpret the situation.  

Any more suggestions for topics?
Are there any "hot" topics you think we should avoid?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Any more suggestions for topics?
YES! TAXES!...lol.

Seriously...I am just in the middle of placing an order on Summit, and it shows a line where I am being charged tax. Now...just to be clear, I am in Canada, but placing an order with an online company in the USA (warehouse in Ohio I believe) and will be shipping the order within the US (to Maine). This is the first I've seen in any internal US orders where tax is being added. Is this a new thing?

I've seen notes on orders before where you had to pay tax if the ship from location and the ship to location were within the same state, but not when shipping from out of state.

I clicked the "more info" link, and if I don't want to pay this tax, I'd have to supply a letter from the state of Maine showing why I would be exempt.

Anyway, just something new that I haven't seen before...

Are the tax rules changing to close the loophole on out of state purchases?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Summit should ship to New Hampshire.
There is no tax there.

The loophole for online out of state sales has long been closed.
Sellers on eBay seem to disregard it.
And ultimately it is up to the purchaser to pay tax in their state (if there is one)

What about duties and tarriffs?
You damn Canuck's are ruining our economy!!!!    

Let's not even touch lumber..
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
Are the tax rules changing to close the loophole on out of state purchases?
Pretty much, yes.  The U.S. Supreme Court ruled last year in Wayfair v. South Dakota that states could collect sales taxes from online retailers who don't have a physical presence in the state, which was a reversal from earlier precedent.  So now a lot of states are doing that, as you've discovered.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
The loophole for online out of state sales has long been closed.
Sellers on eBay seem to disregard it.
And ultimately it is up to the purchaser to pay tax in their state (if there is one)

What about duties and tarriffs?
Ok, understood gents, thanks for the replies. I just spoke to Summit, and as Dorsai noted above this new Supreme Court ruling changed the rules last fall sometime. However, not all states got on board right away, and it looks like Maine only started charging tax sometime this spring. My last purchase from Summit, shipped to the same address, was in January 2019 and at that time I was not charged tax. Now the tax IS there, and I guess I have to just suck it up.

The way NAFTA is currently set up, duties and tariffs only come into play when purchasing items that were manufactured outside of North America. In this case it is a set of wheels...and they could very well be made in China, but they could also be made in the USA too.

I order items online all the time, and when shipping into Canada I always had to pay Tax. However, shipping within the US had usually been tax free...but I see that era has come and gone now;).

Oh well, I will carry on about my business and stop whining! Thanks Gentlemen!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Is it just that the U.S. has a wider variety of products available?
Is it that you have dollars in the U.S. and the Loonie is not 1:1?

I'm genuinely interested.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
It has been suggested that we have a stickied thread to discuss off-topic things.  Back in the day things.  Who knows what things.

But, what to call it?  That's what this poll is for.  I'll suggest a few and you can either vote for one of them or suggest another.  If enough of y'all seem to like one of the suggestions I'll add it to the poll.

Rules are you get one vote, but you can change your vote.
The FORD Lounge...

Friendly
Open
Responsible
Discussion
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Is it just that the U.S. has a wider variety of products available?
Is it that you have dollars in the U.S. and the Loonie is not 1:1?

I'm genuinely interested.
Yes and yes. Although we are geographically large...our population is quite small in Canada, so we don't have anywhere near the buying power of the US. Did you know that there are fewer people in Canada than there are in California?...lol. There is usually price difference between the same items in the US and Canada, and even if there isn't much difference, the price to ship those items is much different.

For example, this current order in question is for a set of wheels. Free shipping anywhere in the USA. To ship to me, $125 USD, and when converted to CDN dollars that would be more like $175 for me. So, if I ship the items to Maine and then run across the border to pick them up next time I'm close by, I save that expense. I could buy the wheels locally, but the retailer will still have to pay that shipping, which shows up in the price.

Some items I buy online just for the convenience, even if there is no price savings.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yup. I understand.
I believe Canada has about 1/10 the population of U.S.

And I have friends in N.S. that do just what you are doing.

Meanwhile Americans are venturing to Canada to buy drugs.
But more and more this is being done online.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Ok

I'll throw my vote behind this if it is presented as an option.  
 Jim,