Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Welding Question

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Two things of note here:

Don't knock it til you try it.

You have a REALLY thoughtful and encouraging GF!

Lucky guy!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
Yesssir that is correct...she's awesome & very thoughtful. She's bought me a lot of tools and she wrenches herself. Guess who was out there until midnight the other night helping me with my lift & covered in grease? Yep...she was lol. We actually work very well together & it's cool that she will do stuff like this with me, not a lot of women would.
1986 Ford F150 XLT 4X4. 300 I6 w/ 4 speed manual.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are, indeed, a lucky man!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I doubt 'luck' had much to do with it.

Sometimes the stars align and you get what you deserve.

(this can work both ways)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

jaxonj
In reply to this post by Quarterwave
You don't need to take any classes to learn welding. As you're a starter, I'd suggest getting a cheap yet quality MIG welder. MIG machines are easy to use and great for newbies.

Here is a video on mig welding basics, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v62lm7FGhNc

If you wanna go in depth: here is everything you need to know about MIG welding as a newbie:

https://weldingrage.com/what-is-mig-welding/

TIG and MIG welding are two most used welding techniques. If you don't know the difference, well, note that MIG welding fuse two metals together (one metal is fed from welder), while TIG welding melts the base metal to join.

Click here, to learn more about whether you should TIG or MIG.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
jaxonj - Thanks for that.  I'm sure it will be helpful.

But you may have missed the email to you that asked you to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then start a new thread/topic to introduce yourself.  Not only do we like to get to know people, but it is important that you read the guidelines as we hold everyone to them.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by jaxonj
I'd argue that way more sticks are burned on pipelines and structural than MIG and especially TIG.
We are seeing a lot of dual shield in ship building, equipment manufacture and the like.
Automated submerged arc is finding a place not only in factories but on pipelines.

But hey, that's only what I see from where I stand.

Practice is important. Welding is a skill you build.
Having a program lay it out for you, and an instructor to show you where you are right and wrong can help not only the result but your confidence to continue.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'd argue that way more sticks are burned on pipelines and structural than MIG and especially TIG.
We are seeing a lot of dual shield in ship building, equipment manufacture and the like.
Automated submerged arc is finding a place not only in factories but on pipelines.
Pipelines? Haven't they all been cancelled?...lol. Just kidding...no need to reply to that. Ship building is HUGE here...local shipyard has decades of work lined up building our new DND vessels.

PS: I love my little Lincoln welder. I did stick welding for years before I ever touched a MIG, so I might find it easier than some, but man I feel like I could teach anybody to weld with my machine in no time. Like everything else...if a dummy like me can do it, I'd argue that anybody can;).

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I was just saying that I highly doubt "MIG & TIG are the two mostly used" welding processes.

Miles and miles of bead are laid in shipyards, on pipelines, bridges and skyscrapers.
No one it using gas shielding out on the plains or 50 storeys in the air.

But I do agree, anyone with enough coordination to write their name can learn to weld with a wire feed machine and the right settings.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
I was a machinist/welder in the military years back. Most of my welding was TIG and stick. Welding machines and associated stuff can add up quickly, so if you are on a budget you need to think about what you're going to do with the machine and how often you'll be using it, else it collects dust and your money is wasted. I have a Hobart Handler 140 (MIG only) and there is nothing, automotive wise, that this machine can't handle. I've welded everything from  body panels to an automobile rotisserie with it. It is made by Miller, reliable, and quality at a reasonable cost. It is also 120 volts. I have 220 outlets but for those whom don't, they must consider the cost of an electrician. Just some things to think about.......
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
In reply to this post by Quarterwave
I just recently started teaching myself to weld.  I have the Harbor Freight Titanium Unlimited 200 multi purpose welder.  It has been great so far for MIG.  I've used it exactly twice so far, just drawing beads on scrap to get used to it.  I'm running 0.023 wire.

The main complaint I read about this welder is the regulator sucks. And that's true, I'll be looking for a replacement soon.

I'm not looking for welding stainless or TIG yet, but I wanted the option.  I've read that having a pedal is super useful for TIG so I would look for a welder that supports that if you're wanting TIG.  The welder I have doesn't support it.

Chris
1985 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab
ZF5-42 swapped 460 hot fuel, factory AC.
Part way through 4WD swap.

1988 Suzuki Samurai -- Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Dart -- Project car
1957 Chevy 4400 Flat Bed -- Collector Project
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
And keep in mind that not all TIG machines can weld aluminum.  If you're getting a multi-purpose machine with the idea in the back of your head that expanding to TIG will let you weld aluminum, make sure that you're getting one that can.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Which is why I said I wouldn't get a tig without high frequency, pulse, a pedal or IGBT.

You can stick weld aluminum.
Look at some of Zila's videos on YouTube.
It isn't pretty like tig can be, but it is strong and functional.
I don't know what else you would do if you had to fix an aluminum catwalk or a truck trailer outside.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
There was a question earlier about community colleges offering auto welding classes. Most decent comm colleges have auto body repair classes which should include a tiny bit of welding.

Right now, due to covid, my local comm college is mostly virtual so their shop classes are very limited. But normally, most trade classes have a night session. These are the schools that are keeping trade work alive in this country and theres usually a lot of good people teaching there, who really care about passing on their skills and knowledge. Ive had a couple phone calls with people at my local school and they took the time to answer my questions.

As a "self taught" welder, i recommend learning a little of each process. Mig is an excellent start for autobody, especially with older metal. But you will want to use all of them at some point. And get a good helmet!
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems