classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Weird type of swap question

Littlebeefy
Hi guys,
I was talking to a nice guy from Georgia last night who was interested in buying some parts from me for a swap he was trying to do into his 85 Bronco. He wants to swap in a 70-something 302 with a carb and swap out the current AOD for a manual tranny. I can't blame the guy for wanting to use an old engine, but I know that can create some complexities with the engine accessories and pulley system.

He wants to know if the V-belt system and mounts from a carbed 351W will bolt straight up to his old 302 (PS, A/C compressor, alternator) and if he can use the 351W flywheel and engine plate. Anybody know if those are interchangeable with the earlier 302 blocks and heads?  

Thanks!
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Weird type of swap question

Pete Whitstone
I would doubt it. On my 351w, some parts of the accessory drives bolt to the block (water pump area for example) and some parts bolt to the heads (alternator and AC come to mind).

Since the 351W is a "raised deck" version of the 302W, those bolt holes in the head would be off by the amount of the higher deck.

If he goes this route, he would have to find 302-specific accessory drives, I think.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Back in the 70s Ford built a number of "universal" accessory brackets for the Windsor blocks (302/351W) those that go on the heads were reversible to allow for the difference in block height. They went short end up (toward the valve cover) on a 302 and short end down for a 351W. This allowed for most installations to use the same belts and pulleys.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
The block plate should work. BUT the flywheel maybe not. There is something about a 28 oz flywheel and a 50oz imbalance flywheel. Would have to google about the years for each. My old memory is not that good anymore.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
Remember that up through '79 pickups used front sump oil pans with a dipstick in the timing cover, and those won't fit with the '80-'86 (and later!) frame crossmember.
I suppose his '85 351 pan and pickup will work if it has provision for the dip stick.
If the '85 has the stick in the block that will complicate things.

The 28.2 weight was used up until 1981, so he is going to need the lighter flywheel and harmonic damper to make it run smooth.
These parts aren't hard to find, but they're not free either.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.