489 messages Options
12345 ... 25
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Website & Forum Suggestion Box

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mark - You should be able to right-click any image and you'll get the pop-up below.  Choose the "Save image as..." option and tell it where to put it.

Does that do what you want to do?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
It *should* work that way, but I don't have any menu when I right click on an image.   If it works for you that way, it must be a browser setting for my side.  I'll dig a little more.  Thanks Gary.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What browser and operating system are you using?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Opera Mini on a Chomebook using ARC.  

I KNOW! Right?
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Why not Chrome on a Chromebook?  Might that work?

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
It does for this problem.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

1985 Bronco
Is it possible to not have thread titles turn purple after you view the thread? It is a good way to know if you have looked at the thread before, but when there are new replies to the thread, the thread title does not change back to blue.
1976 Ford F150: Regular Cab, Long Bed, 2WD, 460, C6

1985 Ford Bronco: Sold

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If you look at the date under latest post, that will be purple or blue, depending on whether you viewed it or not.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thank you, Jim.  That simplified things a lot.

I've been thinking about why the link turns purple vs stays blue, and that turned out to be complex.  But just looking to the right to see if you've looked at the latest post is the best way to solve the problem - or at least the problem as I understand it.

Does that answer the question or need?

Reply | Threaded
|

1985 Bronco
Yes that does
1976 Ford F150: Regular Cab, Long Bed, 2WD, 460, C6

1985 Ford Bronco: Sold

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, on your parts lists, do you have the cab mounts? I had a question this morning, it was for a newer truck, but the question as to differences in the rear mounts, regular, extended or crew would at least have let me tell him whether the crew and extended were the same or different.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - What I have on the website is here: Suspension & Steering/Body Mounts.  See if that answers the question.

And, by the way, I found it by scrolling to the bottom of the page and typing "mounts" in the Google Custom Search line.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Thanks, I will send him to your site. He actually has a 1997 crew cab. Do I need to get under Darth and measure them?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Are you saying my site doesn’t have what you want?  Maybe I misunderstood. Part numbers for crew cab?  Maybe I can add them from the parts catalog. But measurements would be great.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The catalog appears to say that regular, super, and crew cab trucks all used the same mounts.  So, if you can confirm that by measuring Darth's I would appreciate it.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, this new clown skyfei9 needs to go back into whatever hole it crawled out of. All he is doing is trying to sell overpriced tennis shoes.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry.  He and his posts are gone.  But I don't know how he got in.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, I have been having a hard time coming up with website suggestions because it is already elegant and simple, and any change seems to go against that.

However, there is a problem that I want to bring up, and hopefully brainstorm to improve the site...

On several occasions I have seen a question on the Facebook groups and posted a link to Garagemahal. The responses I am getting are “I knew about the site but I had no idea it had all this”. Sometimes I even post another link in the same thread and get the reaction again. Bottom line, people are not exploring the site. When directed to individual pages they are blown away, but they are not finding them because they either can’t find them or don’t know to look.

I don’t think this is for lack of organization. The menu bar is very logical and the categories are intuitive. It’s a near-perfect site index.

I think the problem is that marketers have conditioned us to be lazy. It is hard to get people to even read anymore. Forums are on the decline and Facebook groups are exploding. But you can’t get anyone to read anything without a picture... you see PFA (pic for attention) everywhere so people won’t scroll past the post. We are self-aware of the fact that we have become extremely visual-acclimated. All of our phones use colorful app icons instead of text. My keyboard autocorrect even tries to replace correctly spelled words with picture symbols! I guess where I am going with this is there might be a way to use visually interesting links to entice people to browse and explore the site. I don’t think the menu bar should go anywhere, but I’m wondering if a documentation home page with clickable photo tiles representing the major information categories would entice more browsing than 2-3 tiers of index branches before you actually “see” anything. People still may not know to look for things but if the front end is a little less dry it should help people realize how much is actually there. The psychology of it does not lie. Go to any commercial website and the initial interface is not an alphabetical list. It may have elements of a list, but there will be plenty of visual interest as well.

Thoughts? Ideas?
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - Interesting suggestion.  And, let's do brainstorm that here for a while.

First though, I do see the explosion of Facebook pages and I even have two myself.  But, I don't want to do any problem solving on Facebook.  Instead, my pages are just for pointers back to here, meaning this forum and the whole website.  That's because long ago I got frustrated with answering everyone's repetitive questions on the same things.  That was the impetus for the ill-fated FTE albums which were intended to answer the most oft-asked questions so we didn't have to re-invent that wheel each and every time.  And then when the albums didn't work I created this website.  But, I do provide links on the various Facebook pages I'm on when questions are asked that this site can answer.  On the other hand, there's no way to find previous answers to the same question on Facebook, which is why I don't plan to problem-solve there.

And, as shown on the chart below, people are finding the site.  The chart is for Google searches from 1/1/2018 to today, and basically it shows that the "impressions", which means that this site was offered in the results of a search, went from around 300/day at the first of the year to about 1000 today.  At the same time the number of people that have clicked on the resulting link has gone from about 20/day to 60/day.  Meanwhile, the position within the search results has gone from about 13th to 10th.  All of this is synergistic - as people click on our link then the placement moves up in the results, meaning more people will click on the link.

HOWEVER, I agree that while the menu works and is nice and simple, it is a pain to use.  Even I, who created it, sometimes have to do an internal search for whatever I need.  (Many people don't realize that there's an internal search at the bottom of every page.)  So, it would help to have a better way to find things - w/o searching.

So, I like the idea of having a "documentation" page.  BUT, it needs to be easily maintained or I may "forget" to do it.  I started the site by having a mini-menu on each page, as shown in the example below.  But that quickly became hard to maintain as the site went from less than 40 pages to over 400.

Given that, if there was an easy way to see what is available, but one that is maintainable I'd be all for it.  Can you point me to an example somewhere of what you have in mind?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, first off I have to agree that Facebook for truck info drives me nuts for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I participate because that is where the action is these days, but I don’t particularly like it. I wasn’t suggesting any move in that direction, just comparing the psychology of other media out there.

Emphasizing a “search Garagemahal” function may help people find things since there are now so many pages. As far as a good example of a visual layout, unfortunately I don’t have any particular website(s) in mind as examples. I will have to look for some.

My post may have come off as half-baked, but this morning I linked the ‘86 EVTM to someone who is a member here yet he wasn’t aware that it existed. I have not really thought through any good solutions, I was just trying to put my finger on the why. I may be off base there as well, I’m just brainstorming and hoping to get folks thinking.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
12345 ... 25