classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

We'll call her Rahab

tdm3
This post was updated on .
She's appears to have lived a rough life but hopefully she can be saved.

As I said in my introductory post (http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Middle-Tennessee-Bullnose-owner-td37925.html#a38047) the valve covers (and the oil filler) seem to be from something other than a 1980 302.  What year range and line were those used?  All of the brackets are jury rigged, so that also points to an engine swap at some point.  Engine runs pretty well.  

Transmission is either c4 or c5.  I don't know how to tell them apart externally.  Can you? Transmission is noisy and clunky but not sure it's all the tranny's fault.  Mounts appear to be shot.  

All in all she is what is to be expected for $600 bucks around here.  She'll have to work for a living (Rahab again).  The old rusty box is coming off to be replaced by a flatbed suitable for hauling bee hives around.  I have a rebuilt 289 and to be rebuilt c4 that may end up motivating her.  Also have a 4 barrel intake and small Holley carb. for it.

She has three aluminum wheels.  The two on the rear appear to be from a Ranger and are 15".  One of the fronts is a 15" from a Mustang and the remaining front is a steel 16".  Baby will need new shoes!  Two more of those Ranger wheels might fit the bill.

If you can answer any of my questions above, please do.

Thanks

David
1980 F100, 302 2v, automatic transmission, long wheelbase, very patinated
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: We'll call her Rahab

tdm3

David
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No idea where the valve covers came from.  But this is supposed to ID Ford's 3-speed autos, but I can't see enough of that one to tell which it is.  But from what I read the C4's dip stick went into the body and the C5's into the pan.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

tdm3
Block casting numbers are D9OE-6015-E3A with a date code of 9A15.  So if I interpret correctly that'd be the correct block series for this truck.  It has an aluminum 2 barrel intake and the iron heads have a casting date of 4F29.  It appears to me that someone replaced the heads, but I may be all wet.  Anybody more knowledgeable than me? (That'd be a yes.)

It doesn't really matter.  It's not a valuable vehicle.  Just curious.
David
Reply | Threaded
|

tdm3
Valve covers have an 1986 part number.  That with the head date code makes me think someone just swapped heads at some point. That explain the bracketry fiasco too. Transmission is a c4/5 with a b servo.  Not going to pull the heads at this point just to see the casting numbers.  

So...what to do?  Pull the bed first.  She's got severe rust.  Cab is in pretty good shape.  The frame is rust free too.  

Then I'll decide on the motor.
David
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Valve covers are definitely passenger car, maybe Mustang?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by tdm3
Ford used both aluminum and cast iron intakes, and I haven't been able to figure out why.  So it may well be original.

On the heads, I don't think there's much way to tell on small-block heads w/o pulling them.  D8OE's were fairly common then.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
Valve covers are definitely passenger car, maybe Mustang?
That's what they look like with that tall filler neck on the passenger side.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by tdm3
Welcome aboard. I keep seeing Rehab and thinking it's Rhubarb. Maybe I'm dyslexic.

If you get a chance, post up a picture of the certification label that's on the cab...driver's side door jamb, next to the striker post. That will help answer some questions about the truck.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

tdm3
It's Rahab. As in the prostitute in the Old Testament who ends up righteous.  Could be rehab though.  Working on old trucks and cars is certainly rehab for me...most of the time. 
David
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, I know of Rahab.  She's in the lineage of Christ.  Saved a bunch of guys from getting killed also.

Reply | Threaded
|

tdm3
I've decided to go with the 289 and c4 install.  I had bought my wife a 1962 Fairlane and purchased a 1964 289 (5 bolt) to go in it.  The Fairlane had an inline six in it.  Well long story short, my wife loved the car but was never comfortable driving it.  So we sold it and now I have a freshly rebuilt 289 and matching C4 ( to be rebuilt) with corresponding 5 bolt bellhousing that I'm going to transplant into it.  The engine is bored .040 over with flattops and a little bit of a bumpy cam but nothing radical.  Also have a 1850 list holley 600 cfm to round out the picture.  That's the project for these long wet winter months in middle Tennessee.  

Here's a picture of where the 289 was supposed to go.

David
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like a good fit.  I like it when an unexpected plan comes together.  And this one sounds like a good one.  

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Need to get a red rope for your rear view mirror.

Oh, and looks like we bought our parking brakes from the same place.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

tdm3
"Need to get a red rope for your rear view mirror.

Oh, and looks like we bought our parking brakes from the same place. "

Those parking brakes work really well and cheap to boot!  I have to confess to being a little dense so you're going to have to help me with the red rope business...

David
David
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I suspect he was referring to this about Rahab from Joshua Chapter 2:

15-16 She lowered them down out a window with a rope because her house was on the city wall to the outside. She told them, “Run for the hills so your pursuers won’t find you. Hide out for three days and give your pursuers time to return. Then get on your way.”

17-20 The men told her, “In order to keep this oath you made us swear, here is what you must do: Hang this red rope out the window through which you let us down and gather your entire family with you in your house—father, mother, brothers, and sisters. Anyone who goes out the doors of your house into the street and is killed, it’s his own fault—we aren’t responsible. But for everyone within the house we take full responsibility. If anyone lays a hand on one of them, it’s our fault. But if you tell anyone of our business here, the oath you made us swear is canceled—we’re no longer responsible.”

Reply | Threaded
|

tdm3
Well, see, done in by my own pun.  Red rope it is and it'll be a good addition.  

David
David
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Reply | Threaded
|

tdm3
Haven't worked on the truck herself but have been assembling the 289.  A couple of poor pictures here to prove she exists.  I have a set of valve covers coming, used but more attractive than these.  Oil pan will come from the engine currently in the truck.  Ordered a new oil pickup to fit the truck pan.  It is progressing.  I hate cold weather and find getting motivated in the winter more difficult.  Woe is me...

David

David
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Progress is good!  

We've got L15-H27° tomorrow.
At least it won't be sleeting here.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.