Water leak in door seal channel

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Water leak in door seal channel

Gimmeagig
I just installed new carpet in my truck, cleaned everything up, patched the floors where needed etc. It has been raining and I notice that there is water collecting in the channel where the weather stripping is right underneath the alloy plate that covers the edge of the carpet and the door seal. I'm not sure how I can hunt down where the water is coming from. Maybe the seal of the windshield?I have that channel treated with surface shield but still I don't want water sitting in there forever. I wonder if I could just drill a hole into the channel to drain the water out. I think that would not drain into the rocker panel. I'm pretty sure it would come out to the side of it.Do you guys think that's a good idea? Any other suggestions?
1985 (March) F150
351 HO
Edelbrock carb
Shortbed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Water leak in door seal channel

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
BTDT

Check the caulk in the rain gutters above the door.
Another place common for leaks is the cowl where it comes down inside each side of the cab.
There are rubber spouts (drains) at the back of the front wheel wells that get clogged with leaves and other debris that turns to muck and rusts through into the cab

I think drilling a drain hole is far better than having water sit in there. (Gary will remember my photos showing the bright blue kiddie pool through the holes I made)

The rockers are open to the inside.
Water can't get trapped.

Edit: found it!

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gimmeagig
I though I had sent you a thank you for helping me. But for some reason it is not showing up.
One question. Caulking in the raingutters? What does that mean? I didn't know there is supposed to be caulking.
1985 (March) F150
351 HO
Edelbrock carb
Shortbed
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There is caulking in the gutter seams and around to the back window corners.
It's a common place for leaks because it dries out and no one under 6'8" is ever going to see it.

Basically if it's loose or cracked you need to dig it out. Prep the rust and reapply seam sealer.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gimmeagig
OK thank you so much for your help. I just drilled the hole (it is wet only on the passenger side channel.)
It will never be a show truck or for resale. I just really like the truck it has just the right amount of patina.
I just need it to last as long as I do. (I'm 67) Maybe a coat of wax will be enough LOL
1985 (March) F150
351 HO
Edelbrock carb
Shortbed
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Glad I could help.  

I wasn't suggesting that you repaint your truck, just that you want to stop the water running in over the doors (or down through the kick panels) before it causes major structural problems.

On my truck the rust ate up the whole lower hinge mounting plate on that side and made it impossible to open and close the door.
The A-pillars are many layered and it was a big challenge (for me) to remove the cancer and make it solid again.
 Jim,