Water Leak

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
37 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Water Leak

fords4life
Well.... That might be an understatement... It was more like a flood.  Went through a drive through car wash and had a good if water coming out the driver's side air vent under the dash. Assuming it came through the cowl vent and down that way, but seems like that shouldn't happen.  Any thoughts?
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Water Leak

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It does happen.

Usually the cowl drains get clogged with leaves and dirt.
Then the resulting 'mud' causes the inner panel to rust through.
Since the water can't get out it follows the path of least resistance.

You can also check that the windshield is not leaking and the resulting water running across the top of the firewall seam down the drivers side.

Also check the caulk in the rain gutter and the seam between there and the top of the windshield.

All of these have happened to me.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by fords4life
I had three leaks that I found when I bought my '82. One was a hole for the antenna that was added. One was a screw hole that held the clean out cover behind the kick panel. It  needed cleaned and the water was backing up to the screw and leaking out. Third was a seam under the windshield. I had no cowl rust. But these three leaks had the area under the rubber mat, soaking wet. I fixed these then did a complete redo of the interior, with carpet. Nothing is leaking.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

stevenscoffee
Where is this clean out cover you speak of?

I have the same leak?
1985 F150 short bed
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The cowl drains are behind the plastic fender liners on either side.

They look like a rubber wedge with a slit in the end.
I posted pics when I had my cowl open to change the wiper motor.

I don't have it as bad because my polka dot cowl doesn't let in as much leaves and garbage.
(You can retrofit these from '87-'91)

I didn't put them back, because if a mouse wants to get in, it's going to get in...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Mid August in the WHYDTYTT thread.....
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
A problem I found on Darth was the right side air inlet area had no seam sealer anywhere, it was just painted metal. As a result I had a water leak coming from the triple joint when the floor, firewall and cowl side meet, it would run down under the edge of the carpet and sit where the sill plate screws down over the edge of the carpet.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That corner is always a problem Bill.

Any way to get the seams sealed, way down in the sides of the cowl?
I let low modulus (self leveling, Sika brand) masonry sealant ooze down the seams, but really need to send the scope in to see if it did the job.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim, I used some heavy undercoat I bought from Lowe's. I used my phone to take before and after pictures. I have a large borescope (head just barely fits through an aircraft plug hole) and a smaller one that works with my phone. I cleaned out everything then sprayed it, checked it and re-sprayed.
Before, note no sealant of any kind

After, with plenty of undercoating

I had the carpet out, and had gone out to the truck in a pouring rain to locate the leak, right at the junction, the first picture is looking right at that area.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Bill, I have an endoscope for my phone.
It will fit places you don't want to think about. ๐Ÿ˜‰

But I should check before winter.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I have probably the same one. At the time I did this, my buddy John had my large borescope as the display is removable and can be used as a small video screen. He was installing security cameras and was using it to check the aim and focus on them. The little endoscopes hadn't come out then.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

shosh86
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Hi folks, new to the forum.  I'm having the exact same leak in my '86, where the three joints meet in the vertical cowl drain on the driver's side.  

Any tips for getting that corner sealed considering the tight space?  And do I need to seal the whole span of the three seams, or just in and around the area where they all meet?

Also, the leak is somehow getting inside from that corner through the sealant on the interior floor seam, right at that corner.  Should I also reseal the interior seam at that corner?  If so, any tips on that?  I assume I'd need to remove the old seal around that area.

Thanks y'all.
1986 F150, 300 engine, 4 speed, 2WD, base trim
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hi. Glad you joined.

But you may have missed the email you were sent that asked you to go to the New Members Start Here folder and post an introduction. Thatโ€™s important for two reasons. First, we keep the guidelines there and since we hold everyone to them we want to ensure you have a chance of seeing them.

Second, we are a community and, as such, we like to get to know each other. So an introduction is important.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

shosh86
Gary, thanks for the reminder.  Introduction posted.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done.  Thanks.

Wish I could help on the water leak, but I've not yet had to work on a leak there.  However, are you sure the water isn't coming in the kick panel?  There's either a vent or a block-off plate behind the kick panel and debris builds up between the fender and the cab and water can come in there.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by shosh86
If the water is coming through the floor seam it is into the door hinge pillar.
If your truck has kick vents it is fairly easy to remove them and have a look with an inspection mirror.
If you don't, remove the block off plates. (Driver's side you will probably have to take down the parking brake)
Pulling back the fender liners to remove the cowl drains for cleaning would be good too.
It's important to remove the rotting leaves/mud because that stuff stays wet and the rust will never stop.
Dry the recess out well and remove any loose rust.

I put cold galvanizing, seam sealer and then sloppy amounts of enamel in there because I had the fender off anyway.
POR-15 would probably work well to consolidate and seal that pocket too, though I've never tried it.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

shosh86
I've had the kick vent off for a while now since I've been diagnosing this.  I gave the cowl drains a good cleaning.  They are draining freely and there is no debris.

Here's a picture to better explain.  The water appears to be coming in through the area of the interior seem that I've circled in red.  I believe that area is just opposite where the three seems meet on the other side, but I could be a little off.  

(Ignore the duct tape.  It's just there to block that screw hole while I run water into the cowl.)

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
A picture's worth a thousand words....  ๐Ÿ‘

You're pouring the water in right there?
So you can be sure it isn't running down from above.

Only asking because I had some pretty good rust going all across the pinch weld (ledge) in front of the pedal box too!

If you have already cleaned out all the debris and loose rust you should probably treat it with phosphoric acid or an etching epoxy primer, then seal all the seams in there for good measure.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
absolutely! the real issue here is access. you should not seal it from the inside for sure and the only true access will be with the cowl removed along with the driver side fender. it is not really a big deal but there are a lot of fasteners and keeping track of "what went where". phone camera is your friend! you were in this for the adventure, right?
Reply | Threaded
|

shosh86
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
A picture's worth a thousand words....  ๐Ÿ‘

You're pouring the water in right there?
So you can be sure it isn't running down from above.

Only asking because I had some pretty good rust going all across the pinch weld (ledge) in front of the pedal box too!

If you have already cleaned out all the debris and loose rust you should probably treat it with phosphoric acid or an etching epoxy primer, then seal all the seams in there for good measure.
I'm hoping all that rust you see across the pinch weld (ledge) in front of the pedal box was due to years of leaking from the old cracked horizontal seem sealer in my cowl.  I removed all that old sealer and resealed last weekend.  Fingers crossed that's fixed.  I ran a ton of water in the cowl today and didn't see any more water coming in from that ledge.  Just from that one circled area you see.

That's a good idea to pour the water in right at the triple joint.  I'll give that a try tomorrow and report back.