Washing the engine!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Washing the engine!

Darksidesm
I'm looking to clean up my engine area a little and just curious how or if anyone else does. I was thinking to just disconnect the battery, hit some areas with soapy water and a brush, got some degreaser for the engine, then just spray it down with a hose.

I do not plan on spraying water near the carburetor.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Justin
1985 Ford F-250 460 V8
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Washing the engine!

1986F150Six
Administrator
You can remove the air cleaner and cover the carburetor throat with plastic and use rubber bands to secure. Also avoid strong spray around the distributor and alternator.

Liberal use of dielectric grease on the plug and coil wires will be beneficial.

For a thorough cleaning, some use a scraper to remove built up grease and then running the engine until warm [not hot]. At that time, spray on the degreaser and allow to soak, then rinse.

As soon as you are complete, replace the air cleaner and start the engine allowing to heat up and dry.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Darksidesm
Google "engine degreaser" and you'll see that there are many spray foams that help.  And, there are several videos that describe how well they work.

I'd pull the air cleaner and put a plastic lid with a hole in the middle down over the carb to ensure no water gets in.  And I'd use a spray foam as the instructions suggest.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Darksidesm
It's not necessary to disconnect the battery.  And if the air cleaner is in the factory housing, it's safe, too, as long as you don't just blast it.  Everything under the hood gets wet when you drive through rain.

Reply | Threaded
|

Darksidesm
Thanks for the info. As simple as it is. It's nice to hear other people's way of doing things. I'm going to try and get it done this weekend.
Justin
1985 Ford F-250 460 V8
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I do it all the time. Have done it probably 100 times in my life, on mine and customer cars etc.Really, not much can go wrong if you understand where it can be a problem. The carb? Not an issue, blast away. If you get to much on the distributor cap, you'll have to remove it and dry it out. Areas of big connectors, just don't spray directly on them.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

1985 Bronco
Here's some ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRSoRkM8GcM
1976 Ford F150: Regular Cab, Long Bed, 2WD, 460, C6

1985 Ford Bronco: Sold