classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

WTB Radiator, radiator hold down bracket

Pete Whitstone
Hi, I am looking for 2 items for my 81:

1. A good 351W radiator (AC, with auto trans cooler)
2. The bracket on top of the core support that holds the radiator down - I am missing one side.

Let me know what you have. I am in McKinney TX 75071.

Thanks!
Pete
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: WTB Radiator, radiator hold down bracket

FuzzFace2
Pete, have you checked Rock Auto for the radiator?
That is where I got mine for my 81 with a 300 six.

I cant help on the hold down but on the mount you know it is a 2 part deal.
1 part goes over the radiator, C bracket with a tail and the tail bolts to the support then there is a support bracket, Z type, that goes over the top of that part to support it.

A member got a set for me but was missing the top support so I had to make one.

Before I got them I made brackets that was just an "L" to hold the radiator in place and used rubber hose between it and the radiator to protect it.

Think of this as a BTTT
Good luck
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. I can source a new radiator, no problem. I just haven't found one at a price that appeals to me, I think the cheapest I have found is $204. I will probably have to do that eventually, either that or go see what's in the boneyards, but I don't know how much luck I will have doing that for 40 year old vehicles. The 2 peice clamp-down you show in your picture is exactly what I need. I actually have the upper piece, it's the lower piece that contacts the radiator that I am missing. I also considered fabbing something up, but was hoping that Ford guys were like the guys on my other car forums - hoarders with loads of parts trucks laying around!

Pete
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
It took a little while before I got mine.
Part of the problem is somewhere around 83 or 84 the radiators changed and so did the hold downs, bolts go thru the plastic tanks into the support. Wrong radiator in my truck when I bought it.

Parts truck had the right radiator but when they pulled the motor they did not throw the mounts in the truck.

I think I got mine thru https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum231/
From someone parting out a truck.
Good luck on the hunt
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
1985 was the change over year for radiator mounting. There may be some late 84's that have it too, but my core support came from an 84 and it was still the old style mounting.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
I have a good radiator from a 1985, but it is for a six cylinder and I just noticed you are seeking one for a 351...
Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
Is there a difference? Here is the part I am looking for.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That part was used on all Bullnose radiators regardless of engine from 1980 - 1984, as shown below.  You can see the illustrations on Documentation/Cooling System/Cooling System Illustrations.  And there are two pieces, the "support", which is the bigger piece and is 8A193, and the "reinforcement, which is 8C241

80/84 F100/350,F(Super Duty),U150 6&8 All E0TZ 8A193-B

80/84 F100/350,F(Suoer Dutv).U150 6&8 All E0TZ 8C241-A
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
1986F150Six wrote
I have a good radiator from a 1985, but it is for a six cylinder and I just noticed you are seeking one for a 351...
I just realized you were offering a radiator, not a radiator bracket, my bad. There is definitely a difference between the I6 and the V8 radiator. I have the I6 radiator in there now, but am looking for the V8 radiator, like you said. And the clamp.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
Yikes! I think I'll take the one I have off, throw it on ebay, and fabricate myself 2 brackets!!! That's some steep pricing. Thanks for the links though.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator