WTB: In-Bed Spare Tire Carrier

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

WTB: In-Bed Spare Tire Carrier

fords4life
Since I have the rear dual tank, I'm looking for the parts to put the spare in the bed.  I know I can go aftermarket far easier, but I'd like to try and source the correct parts if it doesn't bankrupt me.  Anyone have anything from the parts diagram?

Does anyone know for sure if the 1A457 is only required for the 6'9" bed?

Thanks!
Nathan
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: WTB: In-Bed Spare Tire Carrier

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't answer your question.  All I can do is stir the pot.

You probably know, but I have the illustrations and part numbers for the spare tire carriers here: Exterior/Spare Tire Carriers.  And as you've found, while the illustration shows that 1A457 is for a 6' 9" Styleside box, the text section doesn't say that.  In fact, the text section implies by the absence of any other info that it is for all bed lengths and Styleside as well as Flareside.  Plus, the actual part number is E0TZ 1A457-A and it is called an Extension (Spare Wheel Carrier Support).

But wait, the plot thickens!  There is another mention of 1A457 in the catalog, and it happens to be with another Extension Assy. (Spare Wheel Carrier Support).  This is said to be for 1983 through 1989 F100's through 350's, but it was replaced by (r/b) E3TZ 1A457-C.  However, that part is for the little Ranger, not the full-sized one.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
I pulled the image from your info. (Thank you BTW for such an awesome site, it has been a HUGE help)  I actually printed it, wrote the part numbers on it and sent it off to a handful of the NOS suppliers to see what everyone has.  So far one supplier has responded and they have the 1A457 piece and they want $300.  I asked them if it was for the 6'9" bed only and their response was....."there is only one application," but didn't comment on what that application was....very helpful....
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad the site is helping, and thanks for saying so.  You are welcome.

LOL!  "There is only one application."  That is hilarious!  But, $300 isn't funny at all.

Some place there is a discussion of the in-bed carriers, but I'm not finding it.  Anyone know where it is?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
I think I may have item # 1386.

Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
Any idea how much you want for it?
Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Sorry, I'm teasing with that one.

Still have the 86 Bronco it came with.
Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
That is cruel and unusual punishment and I think you should send it over for free now......  
Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
I apologize!

I really do feel bad.

I think there may be some pieces in a truck I'm scrapping, (Red truck in my profile. Rust got to it). Will check in the next few days.

I am up in Canada, shipping may get a bit pricey though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
NotEnoughTrucks wrote
I think there may be some pieces in a truck I'm scrapping, (Red truck in my profile. Rust got to it). Will check in the next few days.

I am up in Canada, shipping may get a bit pricey though.
This truck being scrapped....manual trans by any chance? Will you be selling parts?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
I have about 20 trucks, all being parted, saving 3 or 4 of them. Some are manual, most are AT.

I really should put up a tour of my field of dreams.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Create a "project" or a photo gallery?

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by NotEnoughTrucks
NotEnoughTrucks wrote
I have about 20 trucks, all being parted, saving 3 or 4 of them. Some are manual, most are AT.
I see. I've been looking around for a floor shift manual trans steering column for my '84. Not much left for these old trucks out here in the Maritimes. Everything has long rusted away. If you have any that you want to part with, let me know. It's not the end of the world if I don't find one, I'll just modify the one I have if need be.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
I'll check. For some reason I think I have one without tilt. I'll message you.

Also thought about the original post here. No more teasing! I do have a bed mount spare tire bracket. Shipping from Canada. S0A 2P0. Cost of shipping plus $50 CDN for my time to take it off sound fair?

Getting cold again here. May be a few days before I can get at it.

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
In reply to this post by NotEnoughTrucks
Do you have an underbed spare tire assy.?
 Thanks Randy
Oh and a tachometer for 83 gas/automatic transmission?
Beaglerock/83f150 351W C6 Transmission 2 wheel drive.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Randy - I may have the spare tire carrier.  I will look tomorrow.  The shipping would be a lot less than from Canada.  In fact, you could come up and get it.  Or, we might meet somewhere some day - I'm sitting in the Barnes & Noble on 71st Street, so do get to T-town ever other week or so.

But, I don't have an extra tach, so I'll leave that to Ray or someone else.

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Alrighty sounds good Gary, unfortunately I work nights in Tulsa twice a week and never know what nights. This week it's Fri &  Sat . Ugh normally tue & Sun.
Beaglerock/83f150 351W C6 Transmission 2 wheel drive.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Skiatook's not that far.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by fords4life
I asked Bill/NumberDummy for help on the 1A457 question, and he said it appears to only be for the 6' 9" bed.  (And, I asked him to join us here.)

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
My guess as to the reason for only the 6' 9" bed, is that the tire is to be mounted behind the driver and must have sufficient clearance between the front of the bed and the area where the rear wheel cover protrudes into the bed.