WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7573 messages Options
1 ... 96979899100101102 ... 379
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Rembrant
I spent some time today trying to rehabilitate my bumpers to squeeze another year or two (or many) out of them. They were in pretty rough condition, and partially covered in blue over spray. I scrubbed the backsides of both of them previously and soaked in Ospho to try and settle down the rust. The rear bumper I stuck in the press at work to massage the dents out of it, and that worked reasonably well.

So today I scrubbed them down with lacquer thinner and white Scotchbrite pads and that got rid of the over spray. Then a scrub with SOS pads to clean and remove the rust, and then I worked them with some chrome polish and a Mother's Power Ball mini in my cordless drill. It took a while, but they turned out OK for 35 year old crispy parts.

I ordered two sets of Chrome bumper bolts from LMC (That's two sets of front bumper bolts, since they appear to be the same for the rear) and they seem to be pretty nice pieces too. I had to drill all four of the front ones out, and I cut all of the rear ones off since they were easier to access when the bumper was removed from the frame.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Very nice! Good job!

Do you get the SOS pads wet when you clean with them?
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
grumpin wrote
Do you get the SOS pads wet when you clean with them?
Yes, I just used a little plastic ice cream container with some warm water in it. The SOS pads do quite a job all on their own...there's not much improvement with the polish after that, but they sure turned out nice for crappy old parts.

This old truck is seriously over budget this year, so I have to make do with the bumpers I have for the time being. Truth be told, I don't mind a little bit of patina on the bumpers...it will give the truck some character.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
PLEASE don't talk about there being a budget!  Janey might read this!  

Seriously though, those bumpers do look good.  They'll look great on the truck, and the truck itself is going to look wonderful.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Indeed! Looks great!

I saw a bullnose flareside today, looked like a work in progress, but drivable. Hope to see it finished.

Edit: Thanks on the SOS pad info.!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
As you know I'm new here, still poking around and reading about y'alls accomplishments and projects. Still feel a bit out of place, but thought I would toss my two bits in. I pulled the motorcraft  2bbl carb off of Moco this morning,  my 86 F150. I picked up a carb kit at the local Carquest this morning and went through the carb durring lunch. Later this afternoon when it cools off a bit I'll go out back and reinstall it. Hopefully it will run a bit better. I found an Eddelbrock 4bbl intake manifold for sale online for $100.00 + shipping. I'm hoping to snag it and then find an appropriate Rochester 4bbl carb to match it.

But the days accomplishments are a fresh rebuild on my 2bbl carb and a possible 4bbl manifold.Not too shabby for a Monday anyway,,,,,lol
New Project Rough 1986 F150 4x4 Extra Cab
It's so ugly,,,,, I might have to name it  "Moco".
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You aren't out of place!  You fit right in - especially if you are going to put a Q-Jet on that truck.  

I like the Carterbrocks, but the Q-Jet is my favorite.  Very flexible and capable.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
This old truck is seriously over budget this year, so I have to make do with the bumpers I have for the time being. Truth be told, I don't mind a little bit of patina on the bumpers...it will give the truck some character.
Rebuilding an old truck and budget cant be used in the same sentence
The bumpers do look nice.

On your rear bumper when you go to install it watch that you don't go to tight on the bolts as it will pull the dents back in. I think the bolts pull into the brackets so if you use maybe washers between bumper & brackets to close the opening of the brackets might work?

Because of the holes I had in the rear bumper I had to weld up and the front being bent and me beating it back into (some what) shape cleaning them with SOS pads would not cut it LOL.

That is why I welded the bolts on from the back side and cut openings for the fog / driving lights in the front bumper. It would have been nice to have them wrapped but it was not in the budget so they will get painted silver after the body & bed is painted.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Hamm0ckjames
Progress is Good!  

As Gary knows ANY progress is good, even if it's two steps forward and one step back, it's still progress...

Anyway, welcome to the Forum.

Rebuilding your Motorcraft is enough accomplishment for a day. Lining out a 4V manifold is icing on the cake.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Well, reinstalled the motocraft 2bbl. Moco's sounding better, but it still has a hesitation or a slight  miss. Throttles up nicely, but at idle she has a little shimmy. Could be plugs or cap and rotor. Most probably its because she sat in a barn for the past 4 1/2 years. I put 10 gallons of fresh gas on top of whatever old stuff was left in the front tank. The Guage read empty prior to giving her a drink. Will definately have to clean out both tanks in the near future and flush the lines. I did put an inline filter in addition to a new filter on the carb but I imagine there's plenty of trash in the system after sitting for so long.

I hope I'm not boring you folks to tears, but I do enjoy dinking around with this old truck. Hopefully in the not too distant future she will be willing to get out and about and back again.
New Project Rough 1986 F150 4x4 Extra Cab
It's so ugly,,,,, I might have to name it  "Moco".
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Thanks to Gary's generosity I now have a lot of work cut out for myself.

Without shop air, and my chisel, this is going to suck, hard.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Generousity?  I had money show up in my Paypal account to cover the shackles and shipping.

Anyway, glad you can use them.  But hope it goes easier than you think it will.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Today's project is to get these things all cleaned up and seals changed. There's quite a bit of rust in the corners and around the edges, so that is priority, but any tips or tricks for the seal installs? Do they just pop in place?...is it just that simple? Un-do the hinge on the top, the spring on the bottom, and lift the glass out?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cory - I don't remember having to take the glass out/off.  And, I remember Cash breaking his and writing a how-to: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/vent-windows.html.

As for what I did to my truck, the UPS guy delivered this today, but I'm at a loss how to use it.  I know it says "6=8", but am I supposed to saw two cylinders off that 460?

And there are some sort of adaptors, but I can't get my Carterbrocks to fit.  What gives?

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
And there are some sort of adaptors, but I can't get my Carterbrocks to fit.  What gives?

Try a Weber?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Who's this for?  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
<quote author="1986F150Six">
Gary Lewis wrote

Try a Weber?

Hmmm? According to this link, the adapter may be more useful than initially thought!

https://picclick.com/Clifford-Intake-Manifold-2-Barrel-Carburetor-Adapter-08-1013-322699502155.html

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've asked permission from the owner to cut open the plastic bag that the adapter is in, but to this point I don't have it.  But, it looks like the VV I have will fit, and it does so will a 2150.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
So who has a 6cyl truck? Obviously won't fit your antique Stovebolt. Looks like that adapters are for 2 barrel carbs.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
I've asked permission from the owner to cut open the plastic bag that the adapter is in, but to this point I don't have it.  But, it looks like the VV I have will fit, and it does so will a 2150.  
The owner said it will be okay!
1 ... 96979899100101102 ... 379