Virtual Truck Show? Thoughts & Ideas, Please!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Virtual Truck Show? Thoughts & Ideas, Please!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This September 19th, the third Saturday, is the time for the 2020 WHATEVERITIS Truck Show.  (Garagemahal or Bullnosebible?)  However, in the background David and I've been talking about whether it'll get to happen this year.  And in the midst of that he suggested we consider a virtual truck show.  Here's his suggested text:

Due to the uncertain foreseeable future [COVID-19], if it is not safe to hold this year's Truck Show, each person who planned to be there could take current photos of their truck, which they would have driven, and post them. You might want to standardize by asking for a front and side [or all 4 sides] taken from a specified distance. Perhaps one photo should include the owner. These photos could be put together [your magic] and displayed.

Next, each person [attendee] should include himself or herself eating some barbeque, sausage and beans. Then, these photos could be grouped to show what would have been the Friday night feast at your house.

Oh yeah, take some photos of Janey and her breakfast casserole and delicious brownies! That way all of us seasoned veterans can groan and sigh, knowing how very delicious they are and what we missed!

Finally, take some really good photos of The Garagemahal and your trucks. That would be for those who would want to see all that there is to see and would act as a teaser for next year!

To that I'd add that we set out the categories, like Best Interior, Best Engine, Best Paint, etc and let y'all vote on the entries.  Then I ship out the trophies to the winners.

So, with that I'm asking for your thoughts on how we could host a virtual truck show - if we have to.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Virtual Truck Show? Thoughts & Ideas, Please!

Rembrant
Outstanding idea!!

I'm all in, 100%.

I would have loved to attend the show this year Gary, but between the virus issues...and now the economic issues...and border issues, it's not looking like it will happen. Heck, even all of the local car shows here are cancelled for the foreseeable future. A Virtual show should turn into many more entries than would actually be there physically, no?

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I'm sure we'd have many more entries that if we had a f2f meet.  But we probably need a few more rules.  Unlike previous shows which were open to everybody, I'm thinking this one is only open to Bullnose Forum members, and we may have to have a cutoff date or a post-count minimum.

Does this make sense?  Or should it be open to anyone?

However, while the theme is "Ford truck", that doesn't mean it has to be a Bullnose, so whatever Ford "truck" a member has would be acceptable.

What else?  What other rules do we need?

Also, we usually get sponsorship from LMC, JBG, Summit, etc.  If we do I would mail the gift certificates with the trophies.  But, I'll ask them not to send me the catalogs and other stuff, like window cards, as they won't be used and I don't want to ship them.

Ideas, please!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I love the idea, and believe it would be a great alternative to the show this year.

How about members who have two Ford trucks that could possibly have made it to the show if the right arrangements were made? Can we submit both trucks? Or are we limited to one truck per member?

What about trucks that are half-complete, in other words ones that have half an interior and an empty engine bay?

Reply | Threaded
|

Dee1986
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I'm thinking that this is a fantastic idea. I'm already realizing that there won't be many or any of the local shows that I frequent with my 49' so any way to get the feel of community that comes along with them even through the power of viral technology is welcome. I'm pretty new here, but will support as much as possible to see this materialize.
Brian,
1986 f250 xlt lariat 4x4/ 460 4 speed
2016 super duty lifted
1949 Ford custom sedan, orig flathead eight
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Shaun - Don't know why you couldn't submit both trucks.  Seems reasonable to me, said the guy with two trucks.

Brian - Thanks.  

All - Keep the cards and letters coming in, please.  But another thought - do we just do this similar to the Truck Of The Month poll, meaning there's a time frame for submitting, then there's a time frame for voting?

Is there a way to use video to advantage?  (If we were doing Facebook I'd suggest FB Live.)

What other ideas do you have?  Please share so we can think out of the box.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
Is there a way to use video to advantage?  (If we were doing Facebook I'd suggest FB Live.)
We have been using Microsoft Teams at work a lot lately, and it seems to work pretty well. However, I have only been using it on my laptop. A couple of my coworkers have been using it on their iPhones and are happy with it. I haven't tried the app yet, but will get around to it sometime. Anyway, it has been working OK for remote meetings and presentations and such. Just an FYI if you were looking for something to use. I'm not familiar with FB Live at all, but I have a few people in my friends list that have used it at concerts and live events.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a possibility, Cory.  And for church we are using Zoom.  So maybe one of those would work for us - assuming we want it to be live.

But I could just video things and post the Youtubes.  

We need to kick this around quite a bit.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I've done some training on Zoom as well Gary, and it seems to work fine.

A Youtube video would work as good as anything. Might be good advertisement for the webpage/forum as well. I have no problem taking/posting videos.

I think the idea of a Virtual truck show is cool though.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
On the truck categories, perhaps an ugly truck. Mine might qualify for that one, though I know they come uglier as I've seen them around here. There's nothing wrong with the normal categories that are normally seen at other shows, but having some unique categories to suit our members would be nice as well.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Dee1986
The way you have the TOM photos and voting seems like a good platform to transition into different categories like stock, custom, high performance, rat rod.
Brian,
1986 f250 xlt lariat 4x4/ 460 4 speed
2016 super duty lifted
1949 Ford custom sedan, orig flathead eight
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
If possible, set aside a "section" where "attendees" can photograph items that would have been brought to the show for sale. Then, if anyone was interested they can contact the seller through email, via the forum.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
1986F150Six wrote
If possible, set aside a "section" where "attendees" can photograph items that would have been brought to the show for sale. Then, if anyone was interested they can contact the seller through email, via the forum.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Good idea, David.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I like the idea Gary.
Some of us wouldn't have to plan for 4-5 days travel time, and with a lot of us underemployed ATM we wouldn't have to budget for fuel or accommodations either.

While I'm not a technophobe, I'm not too up to speed on the latest apps.
Teams, Go To Meeting, Slack and Duo (nee Hangouts) work cross platform, where Facetime doesn't.
I suppose I could make a burner FB account, but I still despise their data gathering (not that others like Google and Amazon don't... but I don't need FB)

I think it should stay the Garagemahal show.
That's where all the work happens.
The Bible is a resource of knowledge and documentation.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

NZCOBRA
Would that mean , trucks from other country's could enter  !
1986 F150 Lariat Supercab 302 efi , soon to have a 385 ci w , forged crank,king bearings , crower billet rods, Auto tech forged pistons world products Snr heads , Comp retro fit 35-421-8 HR, steel roller lifters , Milodon single idle gear drive , Mallory dual sync dissy ,Motec ECU , Profesional products intake , 75 mm TB , 40lb EV1  , Doug thorly Tri-y long tubes , Block 1974 with 1990 serpentine front drive  and new Motorcraft A/C pump , will put 3G alternator on it , ford racing diff cover and have a new track-loc , to fit .  I have converted it to a 5 speed Tremec TR4250 as the AOD died .
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Isn't that the whole point?!?!?

We do have members from Central & South America, Europe, the UK and Oceania.
Why wouldn't we want everybody to participate?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by NZCOBRA
Yes!  We want everyone to participate!  So, Vaughn, you'd get to show off all your work.

For those of us that have made a lot of changes to our trucks, that could mean we want to provide a lot of pictures to show off the work.  But, I think we will have to limit it to a small number for each truck or people won't get through all of them.

Do any of you know of other virtual shows like this?  If so, please provide a link as I'd like to see how they are doing it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
Do any of you know of other virtual shows like this?  If so, please provide a link as I'd like to see how they are doing it.
Gary, I don't know of any virtual truck shows...I guess you're venturing out into new territory here. I was look at this Canadian truck club below, and they posted pictures from various events and shows...obviously after the fact, but you could do something similar as the main event.

Just pick an event in the Club Event Photo Gallery section linked below. Some nice old Fords there too.

http://www.fordtruckclub.com/PhotoGalleries.html

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok folks, we are now almost exactly two months after we last posted about this idea.  And, we are two months and about two weeks from the date of the show.  I think we need to make a decision by the 19th of this month as that will be exactly two months from the date of the show and I need the time to prepare for whatever is decided.  So we basically have two weeks to make the decision.

If I had to decide today I'd say we should have a virtual show, meaning we won't have the truck show "in person" this year.  I say that because it is my impression that the spread of the virus is accelerating rapidly instead of slowing.  And I just read this article that says 65% of Americans agree with me.  In fact other countries certainly agree as the EU has just decided that we Yanks cannot travel to Europe.  Further, the borders to/from Canada & Mexico are closed for non-essential travel, and that closure keeps getting renewed.

But, I would like to see your thoughts.