Valve cover gasket

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Valve cover gasket

hubcityford
Any recommendations on gasket material and/or manufacturers? Seems like I have some leaks and covers need repainting. They are original covers.

Thanks
Jeremy
Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Valve cover gasket

Machspeed
Administrator
Not sure what engine you have but for my 351 I went with the following:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-vs13264t
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, those would be my pick as well.  But make sure you make the valve covers flat as they are almost always dented at the bolt holes.  That will mean the gasket will be squeezed there but not elsewhere.

I turn the valve covers upside down and lay the edge on the edge of my work table, and then use a small hammer to flatten them.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Machspeed wrote
Not sure what engine you have but for my 351 I went with the following:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-vs13264t
I have these installed on my '84 302 and I'm quite happy with them. They're only been on there a couple years, but no leaks so far (and I've had the covers off at least once and re-used the gaskets).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

hubcityford
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I have 255 V8 but recommended gaskets seem to fit.

Do I need to add any gasket sealer or anything when replacing?

Also any recommendations when repainting cover. I’m going to clean really well and remove any bad paint. It’s the Ford blue color.

Jeremy

Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
In reply to this post by hubcityford
Another endorsement of the Fel-Pro Perma Dry Plus on my 351W.  Leak free over last couple of years despite a couple of remount cycles.

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

hubcityford
In reply to this post by Rembrant
I am almost ready to put my covers back on and I got the recommended gasket. Do I need to add a sealant to the gasket? I wasn’t sure for this gasket material. And if you do, do you add to cover side only or both sides?

Thanks
Jeremy
Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Thats the same gaskets I got for my 306 build.  I also got the Felpro permaseal one piece pan gasket as well as the Ford Racing pain rail doublers to stiffen the pan for a better seal with a one piece gasket.

Cork is fine but they just dont last.  These I like cause you can technically reuse them.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
If you have the one piece rubber gaskets you can put some sealer but personally I dont.  I always use rubber gaskets dry outside of the one piece oil pan gasket, I put black RTV in the corners of the block and gasket for a better seal.

Many claim you do cork dry and rubber with sealer.  I personally do the opposite, I use sealer to affix the cork to the valve covers to make removal easy and I do rubber dry.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Depends on which blue you got the lighter ford blue and then you have the darker ford blue corporate color.  The dark Ford blue the Corporate ford blue was used I believe 1966 to 1982.  82 was a cross over year Ive seen some painted blue and some not.  Mine was painted blue and has the blue distributor adapter.

For paint, I highly recommend Eastwood`s 2K engine paint youll have to get the primer to get a good base but for just the valve covers youll need one of each.  Two of each will do a whole engine.  But once you activate the paint you only have 24 hrs of pot life before it hardens in the can.  Ive actually got 48 hours out of a couple cans but 24 hours is what Eastwood states.

Also be careful, eastwood strongly states these paints have a 2 year shelf life and the some $60 I spent on four cans for my build are from late 2017 which means they are almost 3 years old now and I wont be using them for my build I will be using them on other things that if they dont spray right no big deal I can strip it again.  For the engine itself I will be getting new cans and this time I will buy them when I am ready to paint.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
A thin film of a silicone sealant called" The Right Stuff" is not a bad thing. On the other hand I have the same set of gaskets on my 5.0 Bronco, I put them on in 08 and they still dont leak. It is up to you. Keep in mind that when I say  thin film, I mean put a little on and spread it with your finger untill it stops spreading then add more and continue around the gasket. To much and it will squeeze out, then will get hard and brake off and end up in the oil pan. Then it will get sucked up to the oil pickup screen and reduce the oil flow to the oil pump and the engine, as we all know, that is NOT a good thing.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
I havent heard of that one I will have to look that stuff up.  I always use the Ultra Black since its formulated for use where exposed to oil.  I have tried using clear rtv silicone at work like my boss wants on intake manifolds and even with dimpling the block the clear doesnt last as the oil eats it away till it starts to seep.  On my truck I just plan on using the ultra black as Ive had great luck with it.

Thing to remember that most people forget is you put the silicone on lightly seat the part start the bolts then let cure over night then come back and tighten to spec.  Ive seen too many people put a large bead on the block sit the intake down then torque it to spec squeezing all the silicone out on the inside and outside.  Some Ive seen wipe the squeeze out off.  Me I put a thick bead sit the intake down start the bolts then let cure over night then torque to spec.  This allows it to stick to both parts but it cures in a thicker layer and when torqued to spec it squeezes down providing a tighter seal.  It also helps to prevent squeeze out on the inside and outside of the block as well.

I think I used it on my Fairlane with the center bolt valve covers and they are supposed to be known for leaking but I never had a problem with leakage.  I used it to affix the NOS Ford valve cover gaskets to the valve cover themselves since I have to remove covers for rocker arm adjustment at regular intervals.  But mine are from at least 1966 and they arent really a cork they look more like a compressed rubber fiber type gasket more than cork.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
I use the Right stuff on the big Cat and Cummins engine oil pans and timing covers along with the gasket. These are notirous leakers, same with the valve/ cam cover gaskets on Detroits. It supprises the owners when they dont leak any more.

Also the timing covers for the Cummins 5.9 and 6.7 in pickups. There is no gasket, just silicone. A few years back, Cummins came out with a tec bulliten to use the Right Stuff instead of the sealant that comes in the front seal kit.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
I havent messed with dodge diesels much, boss tends to run them off cause the dodges have way too many problems that are a pita to diagnosis.  We only do the ford diesels and I know ford has this gray silicone that is tacky as hell that is used on oil pans as ford doesnt use gaskets on the oil pan.  I thought of using this for my truck but after I had to clean that stuff off I realized no I dont know if I want to that stuff is a pita to get off with a scraper.  Its easier to get it off with a wire brush or a sanding cookie but that turns it into a fine powder that gets everywhere and if you are dealing with a block or head for example it gets all inside the motor and hard to avoid it.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
I finished an Inframe on an N14 Cummins that I did ten years ago. I built it with The Right Stuff on all of the normal leakers, It all came off with the fingered gasket removers on a die grinder. No mess, just chunks of silicone every where and swept up and trashed.

Just as a heads up, with the right scan tool like the Snap on Versis or the older MODIS, the Cummins are easy to figure out.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Well I will have to look into that.  I like good silicone that actually comes off with a scraper over that ford stuff that is very sticky.

For us its not so much as scanning the systems, its just that all the dodge wreckers we work on they always have these weird electrical problems that when you follow identifix which is basically the same as somedata, it just makes you run down the list and then at the end it says replace the item and you are like ok but we didnt test enough to know if it really is the item.

We've been burned before doing like the test chart shows only for at the end to find out the replacement of the part wasnt what fixed it but there was a broken wire.

We even replaced a whole harness on a dodge wrecker as they are known for the plastic insulation coming off due to oil soak over time and we replaced the harness and not kidding not even 2 months later came in with an electrical problem and that new harness had a short some where and we had to run a bypass wire.

That is more of the reason why we just avoid the dodge stuff.  I wouldnt mind working on them cause thats money, but boss doesnt want to get involved with it.  Plus boss doesnt want to charge properly for jobs like this either.  I mainly focus on the old vehicles cause no one else wants to work on them doing repairs or conversions and I like it and hate it at the same time.  I like it cause I like the old stuff, but I hate it cause the pay just isnt proper as the labor is skewed on the old stuff in such a way the other guys just dont want to work on that stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
That funny, I dont see many wiring problems. I do see alot of VVT controler, EGR coolers, manifold pressure sensors( normaly filled with soot from the EGR) and the always fun, it wouldent start yesterday morning so I gave it a little ether and it fired up with a miss that went away a few seconds later. The check engine light came on so I took it to O'Rillies and they hooked up to it and said it has a code for a bad crank possion sensor, so I changed it and this morning it did the same thing as yesterday. Thats code for you have a bad injector that leaks off over night and High pressure fuel pump has to re prime the fuel system.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Yep, we dont see those problems as all the wreckers are deleted emission wise from the dpf to def to egr.  Even the fords get an egr cooler delete as well.

We mainly see electrical issues, like broken crank sensor wires due to a belt coming apart for example down to oil soaked wires that just broke down and is shorting out to one another.

These trucks they sit and idle all day cause the wrecker drivers cant be bothered to not have A/C so these trucks have like ten times the hours they should have for the miles on the engine.
Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
NO, NO, NO sealant on those gaskets! They are meant to be installed to a dry surface.

FelPro PermaDry are good, as are the Ford OE steel gaskets (which are made by Mahle...)
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Except the permaDry one piece oil pan gaskets it clearly states to place oil safe silicone in the corners of the timing cover and rear main area of the oil pan.