Vacuum repair

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Vacuum repair

Troy
Found 2 broken vacuum lines an some broken fittings, mostly on the smaller sizes. Anyone know the specs the various sizes used? Green, red, black.. Color doesn't seem like a way to order parts.
1985 (1/2) F150 XLT Lariat Explorer, rally wheels, no pw or pdl
5.0L efi a.t w/o.d. 175KM. clean interior is a great place to spend time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Vacuum repair

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know the specs, but you can buy vacuum line in bulk at most parts stores.  The ones you have are probably 1/8" or 3/16", but take pieces of what you have in and they can sell you several feet off the reel.

Vacuum line is sized by the internal diameter, so you can figure out what you have by using drill bits.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
In reply to this post by Troy
When I fix my vacuum lines, I usually get lengths by the foot in the comparable size at the local parts house. I don't worry about the originality.

Others on this forum have said that the hard vacuum line sets/kits degrade too quickly for their taste, and the best bet for original-style vacuum lines is to carefully remove them from an actual truck of similar vintage.

But if you are not concerned with originality, you can make an "upgraded" vacuum network like I did out of the soft lines (which seem to last longer than the hard plastic). Depending on what's needed, you can make it look really good with some of that corrugated plastic tube wrap and/or electrical tape to hold the lines in place where they need to run.
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Shop eBay for thick-walled ~3mm silicone tubing:

Matching the original colors will make your life easier.
Reply | Threaded
|

Troy
In reply to this post by FoxFord33
Salvage could be doable , a friend has an 83 for salvage that I recently took the front crossmember from (mine appeared to be used to tow the vehicle at some point in time, badly and visibly mangled)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Does that '83 happen to be a 4wd F250 or 350 w/a 460 or diesel?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Troy
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks, that makes sense now that I think about it. The mess of wiring and vacuum lines behind the battery is a sight to behold...looking forward to this now that the whole vacuum system has to be checked . Would you think 5psi (and some soapy water) would be enough to expose the leaks?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Unless you have a very large compressor, plug the individual lines, or do it in a way I've not grasped, it would be hard to maintain 5 psi in the vacuum system.  But, you can do the smoke test, as described here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-td11511

Reply | Threaded
|

Troy
2wd 150, 300/6...couldn't be farther away from the desirable .Bottom end went on the motor. Except for the motor and cab corners, its actually salvageable. I sent him a link to the site, it's his father's truck from New, he bought a 85 f250 garage queen, I know he'd like to see the broken one go to someone who would do something with it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That would be cool, but it can't be me.  I'm looking for something quite different for the engine cross member.

Reply | Threaded
|

Troy
I see a dollar cigar in my future ...
Reply | Threaded
|

Troy
In reply to this post by Steve83
Food for thought, thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Vinny - What year EVTM is that from?  It is good stuff!

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
Gary, when I get back to the house in a few days, I will look.  Seems to me it was around 87 or 88.
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Don't I have an '87 EVTM from you?  I was just thinking about capturing those pages somewhere for vacuum info.

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
I don't remember the ones I sent you, but I do have a spare 87 I can send you (as long as your Bullnose garage won't reject it..).  I'll check it out this coming week...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I thought you said "May I look at the '87 EVTM" when you were here.  Like you knew I had one.  And I reached up, pulled it out, and handed it to you.  So I assumed you'd given it to me.

I'll go out and check after while to make sure I have one - after the rain stops as I might melt.  But I'm pretty sure I do.

However, the Bullnose garage, aka Garagemahal, doesn't reject anything.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
All '88-96/7 EFI vacuum lines are essentially the same layout:

The only minor changes are for systems that are deleted, like 2ndry air, MAP, or a vacuum kickdown.  Some '87s add a stove valve.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - Thanks.

Vinny - I do have an '87 and I think you sent it to me.  Maybe you don't really have one?