Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Vacuum line fun

Edward Michael
This post was updated on .
California emissions style!-)
On the 85 F350 460 manual 2wd
Picture disclaimer:  pics are not always the horizon taken with camera.
                             Sometimes the vertical plain has become the horizontal plain.

Remanufactured Factory Holley with all the vacuum fittings.

Not sure what line goes to which carb inlets.
Planning on going in clockwise sequence on the carb per diagram.
Any input on what the letters designate in the carb circle?
6 total
2 large at each end of carb at top curving toward passenger side.  
   These seem to be BV (bowl vent) hookups connected to the
   TVV's (Thermal Vacuum Valve), Purge CV's, and then Carbon Canisters.
2 more (1 small, 1 medium) above choke.
2 more at front, in baseplate.  Is one of these ports plugged in the diagram.
     1 small
     1 medium/large -  maybe for the PCV.  The diagram notes PCV to HICV then INT MAN.?

These seem to be the 2 vcv's at the bottom of diagram.
Seems important what vac lines go where as they are connected to thermostat housing.

This blue piece seems to be the vac restrictor between the vcv's.

Item(?) 1 connected to smog pump.  Also, vac line that T's near Air Cleaner and continues around to front driver's side... Maybe the ABV (Air Bypass Valve).
Item(?) 2 is not connected to vac.  Just a wire lead off end of item(?) connected to engine.  Maybe Oil pressure?

Item(?) 3 bolted to metal piece between carb and manifold.  Maybe the EGR?
1 vac line goes to front along passenger side manifold.
1 vac line goes toward drivers side back of engine and is capped with a screw(!) after 2".

Item(?) bolted to passenger valve cover with 2 vac lines.  Maybe Solenoid Valve
Unable to release electric connections from item.  It says pull!-0

Is this correct ID?  If so, then this BV-CBV is on the opposite side of TVV per diagram.  Anyone?

Is this lower canister missing something on that open port?

Have not found the identity of these items, yet.
HICV - Hot Idle Control Valve
TK - Throttle Kicker
INT MAN - ?  (It's coming from the PCV in the diagram)
Also, what does the ABV or Air Bypass Valve look like?  (No source that ABV is Air Bypass Valve)
Also, does it look like a port is plugged on the front side of the carb icon?
85 F350 Crewcab 2wd 460 manual4spd
85 F250 Extcab 4wd 460 auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Vacuum line fun

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The acronyms are shown here: Underhood/Vacuum Systems/Vacuum Diagrams.  (I know that is hard to find because I just had to search for it.  So, if anyone has suggestions please let me know.)

The big fitting on top of the bowl goes to the charcoal canister below the battery.  The bigger of the two on the bottom of the carb is for the PCV valve.

And the little one is probably ported vacuum, although it may be hard to tell until you have the engine running.  If you turn the carb over you may be able to tell if you trace that port - if it goes below the throttle plate it is manifold vacuum, and if it is just above the throttle plate it is ported vacuum.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Edward Michael
Which of your trucks is it? I am assuming the automatic one, California style, my 1986 was worse than that.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Completely irrelevant of course, and I don't think I can offer any real help, but this is what I was up against with my 84.

Counting my lucky stars! Sorry to be such an @$$  !
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow - that's the most simple vacuum diagram that I've seen on these trucks!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
You should see the one for the huck or for the 1996 without the Thermactor it is real simple.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
The lower vacuum cannister probably had a "hat" over the open port. It was vented, but kept water from going directly in as it is now.I think your other cannister has one still installed.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco