Vacuum hoses - easy to source?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Vacuum hoses - easy to source?

BigDav782
I'm starting to troubleshoot a rough idle, and it seems that looking at the vacuum system is the first place to go.  Assuming I find some hoses, fittings, etc. that need to be replaced, can that be easily sourced at an auto parts or hardware store, or is it specialty stuff?  

Any guidance on purchasing it correctly?

Thanks,
Dave
'85 F150, I6, 4wd, 3 speed automatic
Hopkins, MN (Twin Cities)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Vacuum hoses - easy to source?

Dorsai
Most of it will be readily available at any auto parts store.  Vacuum hose is easy - they sell it by the foot, just bring a bit of the old stuff with you (if you have it) to get the inside diameter correct.  Most of the basic fittings (tees, elbows, etc) are available as well, often in the 'Help!' section.  It's all commodity stuff these days, anything that fits should be good enough.

There may be some Ford-specific bits that are hard to find - but at least on my truck so far, I haven't had that problem yet.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by BigDav782
I reuse the elbows and connectors by finding a rubber vacuum line that fits snugly over the brittle plastic line.
Have a spool of it. (I think it's 3/16")

Then I use paint marker or adhesive shrink tube to make a color collar at each end of the line as it was, from the factory.
Green = EGR
Red= Manifold Vacuum
White= Ported Vacuum
Etc...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by BigDav782
I buy silicone in-color on ebay since it never degrades.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Thanks, may have to check out the silicone hoses!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, me too!  9mm OD x 3mm ID.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yow! That's some thick stuff.
I wonder how they fit on the thermal valves mounted in the water neck?

While you won't have to think about it collapsing, I'd imagine tighter radiuses will be a challenge.

I already have some rubber lines looping because of how they come off the manifold tree.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that is thick hose/walls.  And, I'm not finding it, although I'm not sure I want something that thick.

Here are the possible sizes I found with this supplier on Amazon:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, 6mm (1/4") or 7mm (under 5/16) sounds a lot better to me.

But I'm cheap, and broke, so I'll make do with rubber.
I'm just not that much of a fanatic.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
ArdWrknTrk wrote
That's some thick stuff.
That's how it resists collapsing under full vacuum.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I wonder how they fit on the thermal valves mounted in the water neck?
Just measure the space between those nipples.  If it's greater than or equal to the OD of the tubing, the tubes will fit.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'd imagine tighter radiuses will be a challenge.
No, silicone is MUCH more-flexible than vulcanized rubber; and doesn't kink as easily.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
But I'm cheap, and broke, so I'll make do with rubber.
The stuff I buy is roughly 2x the cost of vulcanized, and I think I've used maybe 20 feet total per truck, which is ~$20 for hoses (colored - black would be half that much) that will never need to be replaced.  That's pretty cheap to me.

Here are some of the listings I bought, but there might be lower prices now if you shop around:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282124697393
https://www.ebay.com/itm/201339508232
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163098085865
Reply | Threaded
|

BigDav782
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thanks for the help all - found Amazon to be the best source, and just used fuel line hose in black.  

Changed out my PCV valve last night (with the grommet), and there was oil in one of the two lines that connected to it, plus oil in the spot where it mounts to the engine.  Is that to be expected, or indicative of something else to worry about?
'85 F150, I6, 4wd, 3 speed automatic
Hopkins, MN (Twin Cities)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Even a tight engine will have some blow by, and many of these engines are past "tight".  So some oil around the PCV valve and in the hose is to be expected.