Vacuum Control Valve (VCV) and harness - '81 F-100 I6

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Vacuum Control Valve (VCV) and harness - '81 F-100 I6

rthenry145
I am looking for the vacuum hoses / harness for the VCV and would appreciate any help, part number(s), etc. I have a replacement VCV, Motorcraft # CX-241, D8TE-9D473-B2A but no harness to go with it. Here's a pic of my existing VCV that I'm replacing.VCV Here's a pic of what I believe the harness should look like. VCV hoses / harness and here's my vacuum hose chart. vacuum hose routing Help? Suggestions?
'81 Custom F-100 I6, Style Side, A/C
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Vacuum Control Valve (VCV) and harness - '81 F-100 I6

1986F150Six
Administrator
The original hoses were plastic and prone to breaking after many years. Follow the diagram for routing and you can replace the hoses with rubber vacuum hoses.
Reply | Threaded
|

rthenry145
Gotcha,  I wondered if that may be why they are hard to find.  ALL NOS was used up due to breaking, etc .
Reply | Threaded
|

rthenry145
Anyone know what the 4 port letters on the VCV mean and  routed to what as based on the vacuum chart.
From the bottom up, S E M D.

I think I can follow the vacuum chart but just want to understand the codes / letters on the VCV.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know, although Dave/Fuzzface may know as his vacuum diagram looks just like yours.

But, is this a full-on restoration?  In other words, do you need to put it back exactly like it was?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator

Vacuum Diagram Definitions

Abbreviation Description
A/CL Located in the air cleaner
A/CL DV Air Cleaner Diverter Valve
A/CL BI MET Air Cleaner Bi-Metallic Valve
A/CL CWM Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulator
ACT Air Charge Temperature Sensor, prior to 1992
ACTS Air Cleaner Temperature Sensor
ACV Air Control Valve
AIR Thermactor, short for Thermal Reactor. CA vehicles are installed with it as standard. Air Injection Reaction is what it stands for.
AIR BPV AIR Bypass (AIRB) Valve; also called the TAB (Thermactor Air Bypass) Valve
BV Bowl Vent (on top of the float tanks)
CARB Carburetor
CBD Closed Bowl Distributor
CPRV Canister Purge Valve
DIST Distributor
DPFE Differential Pressure Feedback
DV-TW Two Way Delay Valve
EFCA Electronic Fuel Control Assembly/ (Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR)
EGR Exhaust Gas Recirculation
EGRC/EGRV EGR Vent/EGR Control
EXH HCV Exhaust Heat Control Valve
EVP EGR Valve Position
EGR Valve Position
EVR EGR Vacuum Regulator; also called EGR Vacuum Solenoid
FLTR Filter
FPR Fuel Pressure Regulator (check vacuum line)
HEAT VLV INT Heat Vacuum Control Valve Intake, (next to carb)
HICV Hot Idle Control Valve
IAT Intake Air Temperature Sensor (Air Charge Temperature (ACT), prior to 1992
IVV Thermactor Idle Vacuum Valve
LCV EGR Load Control
MAN VAC Manifold vacuum-Vacuum source; usually ref. to as Vacuum Tree atop intake manifold
MAP Manifold Absolute Pressure
PCV Positive Crankcase Ventilation
PURGE Vapor Canister Purge Valve
PV Ported Vacuum
PVS Ported Vacuum Switch (PVS) Valve
S Spark port
SA-FV Separator Assembly Fuel/Vacuum
SOLV Thermactor Solenoid Valve
SV CBV Carborator Fuel Bowl Solenoid Vent Valve
TCAC Thermostatically Controlled Air Cleaner
TCP Temperature Compensated Accelerator Pump
TK Throttle Kicker
TVS Throttle Valve Solenoid (aka Solepot, Dashpot) OR Temperature Vacuum Switch
TVV Thermal Vacuum Valve OR Thermostatic Vacuum Valve (aka Ported Vacuum Switches; Thermal Vacuum Valve)
VAC Vacuum
VCKV Vacuum Check Valve
VCV Vacuum Control Valve
VDV Vacuum Delay Valve
V CK V or VCV Vacuum Check Valve
VOTM Vacuum Operated Throttle Modulator
VRDV Distributor Vacuum Delay Valve (VDV, VRDV, DV-TW)
VRDV Vacuum Delay Valve (VDV, VRDV, DV-TW)
VRESER Vacuum Reservoir (coffee can style in earlier years; replaced by plastic style)
VRESV REST on earlier years such as SEABRONC's 83 is a Vacuum Restictor/delay valve, it delays vacuum for a certain amount of time
VRV Vacuum Regulator Valve
WOT Wide Open Throttle Valve
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
David - Would you check to see if I have all of those captured here: Underhood/Vacuum Systems/Vacuum Diagrams.  (You have to click twice on Vacuum Diagrams, which probably isn't the best approach.)

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by rthenry145
My guess would be: S - Signal, E - EGR valve, M - Manifold, D - Distributor. The issue comes in what the valve was originally used on, so the letters may or may not be of any value.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
"David - Would you check to see if I have all of those captured here: Underhood/Vacuum Systems/Vacuum Diagrams."

Whew... that is not easy! The list I copied from The Ranger Station, has 62 items. Your list has 27 items.

On your list, is the following not on the list I copied: C: Choke, VRV: Vacuum Regulator Valve; TVS: Thermal Vacuum Switch [Throttle Valve Solenoid on my copied list] and V: Vent.
Reply | Threaded
|

rthenry145
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
No Sir,   Not a full on restore,  I want it running right of course and will gladly tinker her and there as some thing have already disappeared like the SMOG / AIR PUMP system,  which I assume was on it when new.  It's seen a lot of mechanics from a lot of locations over the years, lol !  I will have questions to understand just what I can safely tinker with, i.e. use intake manifold vacuum instead VCV if possible.  What ports can be plugged on my cart YFA 1bl, etc ...    I'm a bit OCD and sometimes want to understand it more than anything so I can make minor changes as they prsent themselves.

For example my CARB is missing the WOT so I know this is an issue with getting the EGR working correctly.  It's been suggested to just cap off the EGR tube and also plate the  exhaust  /gas ports too.
Reply | Threaded
|

rthenry145
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
So my carb is missing the WOT.

I have the DIST running to what I think is the Carb "S" port.
So I was going to use the VCV "D" to run to the Purge CV.  
Cap off the VCV "M" and Carb "3".  
Run the VCV "E" to the EGR if I can get a WOT hooked up otherwise cap VCV "E" as well.
Run the VCV "S" to the Carb  "E".

how crazy is that ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by rthenry145
If you aren't going for a full restoration, and especially if you don't have the AIR pump, then I'd simplify things, as I've outlined here: Underhood/Vacuum Systems.

As for connections to the carb, the YFA's I've been around, like David's, don't have full manifold vacuum on a port.  In other words, the port that his has does not have vacuum at idle, which is the way I like to plumb the vacuum advance on the distributor, but doesn't get very high at large throttle openings.  So you are stuck either running manifold vacuum or the weak vacuum from the carb.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
David - Thanks.  Didn't realize that mine was so short.  But, maybe the Bullnose trucks didn't use all of those?

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
David - Thanks.  Didn't realize that mine was so short.  But, maybe the Bullnose trucks didn't use all of those?

I suspect that is correct. I don't know the range of years covered by the list I copied.
Reply | Threaded
|

rthenry145
First off, I must say again thanks for all the help!  I believe I got it all hooked up and she's ( my wife calls her Betsy) running better than I expected for a novice like myself.  Apparently, I got some vacuum leaks resolved as several areas improved that I can only assume are related such as the transmission is much smoother when shifting from park to reverse or drive, rpm idles down on its own after a short period after cold start.  I replaced the VCV, PCV, oil breather cap, air and oil breather filters in the air cleaner, as well as the BI-MET valve and CWM modulator in the air cleaner. Replaced the Diverter (motor) valve on the air cleaner snout and added a new flex hose from the snout down to  newly installed heat shroud on the manifold!
Replaced the 2 charcoal canisters and purge CV valve while I was at it...
Hooked up a line from the fresh air intake on the carb to the metal tube that passes through a round slot on the intake manifold and is hooked to the other side of my carb.
Of course new vacuum hoses ( or fuel hose if I couldn't find the right ID vacuum hose) all around!

Purge CV valve & VCV

Can anyone shed some light on what the port with a blue cap on the drivers side of the carb is for?

Carter FYA driver's side

All in all,  not a bad 3-4 Saturdays!  Now, on to another topic as I may have a bit of blowby from the oil breather and oil dipstick tube!  HAHA, always something else to do!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good job!  That carb looks great, and with it running that well you must have nailed it.

As for the vacuum port, not all installations used all of the ports.  I can't quite tell from its placement if that port is port vacuum, meaning that it doesn't have vacuum at idle, or is manifold vacuum, meaning it does have vacuum at idle.  And the only reason to ask that question is if you have vacuum connections you aren't sure of.  Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Having said that, you shouldn't have oil fumes from the dip stick tube or the breather.  All of that should be pulled through the PCV valve unless you have a whole lot of blowby.  So check to see that the PCV valve is working properly, which you can do by pulling the PCV valve from the valve cover and see that it has a really strong vacuum on the bottom of it.