3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Vac lines

dmsmith9
This post was updated on .
Hey Everyone,

I am currently planning on doing a HEI swap then upgrading the the carb to a 4bbl , offy c intake and efi exhaust. I have a 1985 f150 with a 300-6 and a NP435. I began thinking about the vacuum lines needed for this set up. I have a few questions.

1. I assume that won't be able to run a EGR if I go this way. Is that correct? If so is it going to cause Pinging?

2. What other vac lines will I NEED? The AIR pump has been disconnected and I kinda of jut want to get rid of it and the vac lines where possible. So far I can only think of needing  Carb to distributor , PCV to a carb spacer with an inlet ( maybe it is on the carb IDK how that works), brake booster to intake manifold and ..... ( any others) ?

I appreciate any help I can get.

best regards,
Dallas
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Vac lines

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
1) You need to adjust your ignition timing/curve and fuel mixture to where you don't experience preignition.
This is all a part of setting up the distributor and jetting the 4V carb.

2) Yeah, you need vacuum advance and PCV.
Without knowing exactly which carb and spacer you have I can't say what ports they have.
Edit: generally vacuum advance would go to ported vacuum on the side of a carb and PCV goes to the large port in the base flange.

You certainly need vacuum for your brake booster and to run the climate control.
I'm not sure if you have speed control, but that has a vacuum servo too.

Climate and cruise meet at a junction mounted to the center of the cowl high on the firewall.
Brakes usually go directly to a larger vacuum nipple on the intake manifold.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Vac lines

dmsmith9
Thank you so much