Locked 3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Upgrades For Big Blue

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
There is an active thread called Upgrades To Big Blue For Overlanding?  You are welcome to comment there, but what follows here is my brainstorming of what I am going to want to do for the truck electrically:

Relays: I will want these relays, and hopefully the PDB will have enough room:
Key On: This will power the voltmeter awa other things
Low-Beam Headlights:
High-Beam Headlights:
Fog/Driving Lights

Power Feed: I'll use the harness from the '96 CA truck which will bring the power across the radiator support to a power distribution center in front of the master cylinder.  But the wire to that box may not be large enough to charge the auxiliary battery.  The fuselinks are #12's and there are two of them in parallel and they are only about 4" long.

Aux Battery: It will be charged via the Cole-Hersee Smart Isolator, which should be located either near the PDB or near the aux battery.

Inverter: The power from the inverter comes directly from the aux battery, so there will need to be a megafuse at the battery.  Then a cable should run back to the current aux battery relay on the firewall, and from there down under the cab and up into the cab to the inverter.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Upgrades For Big Blue

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Fuel System: In addition to installing the 38 gallon tank that I already have, I'll need to put a pump and sending unit in it. My plan is to make the fuel system essentially a 1996 with the Fuel Delivery Modules.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Upgrades For Big Blue

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Here are the sensors and input/outputs I think are needed by the MAF system, meaning EEC-V. Note that this is for a manual transmission and I don't plan to run EGR or evap. However, I don't see MAP.

MIL: I'll use the existing "Emissions" light above the instruments

Data Link: This is the OBD-II connector

Low Range: I'll feed the transfer case switch output to the computer

Ignition: The TFI module will be connected

VSS: The output of the sensor on the speedo output of the t-case will go to the computer

O2 Sensors: Two of the three heated oxygen sensors will be used, and each has 4 wires. So the position for the 3rd one will probably be used for my wideband's sensor.

MAF: The mass air flow sensor will be used

ECT: Engine Coolant Temp

IAT: Inlet Air Temp

FPM: Fuel Pump Monitor so the computer knows the relay is closed

A/C Clutch: The computer normally controls the A/C clutch, but I'm not sure I want it to do that. If I do then I'll have to feed the computer other signals as well.

CKP: Crankshaft Position Sensor - which is in the distributor

SPOUT: Let's you set the timing by disabling the computer-controlled advance?

Fuel Injectors 1-8

IAC: Idle Air Control

TPS: Throttle Position Sensor

BOO: Brake On/Off switch

And, here is the output of a spreadsheet that has all of the pins in the ECU's connector listed, the wire color, circuit number, and the use. This is file EEC Pinouts 1996 CA 460.xlsx from Big Blue/EFI: