classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Unused Wiring Connector Identification

kramttocs
Administrator
I looked through my 86 service manual and while I think I can identify #2 in the pictures, I am not sure how to tell what it is used for. No doubt they are already posted here or on FTE but I'd need to know what to search for :)

#1. Inside cab. Behind dash cluster bezel in the hole behind the cubby (where the diesel wait lights would be in a 6.9).

#2. Engine bay. Under brake booster. Truck does have the trailer tow package.

#3. I forgot to take a photo of this one but from the ground screw that the wiper motor connects to just below the cowl there is another ground wire with a connector that's not plugged into anything. I know my 86 parts truck has this also. Is it there just for easy ground access or some factory use?

Happy to provide more photos or wire colors. I am referring to the two plugs that aren't connected to anything in the photos. Thanks!
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Unused Wiring Connector Identification

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think #1 may be C327 shown best in the illustration on Page 69 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/headlamps.html.  And electrically you can see it in the upper left corner on Page 53 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/carburetor-circuits.html.

For #2, see Figure 1 on Page 134 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/trailer-option1.html.  Can you tell which connector it is?

As for #3, do you have the engine to firewall ground that is usually from the valve cover rear bolt to the wiper motor's screw?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Been looking through the service manual and I think I must be missing something big here. Maybe someone can teach me to fish (or read).

#1: To Throttle Position Module connector?

The book has a lot of well laid out drawings of the wiring but a lot of them terminate with 'Wiring Assembly XXXXX'

How do I track down the details of XXXXX? I figure there has to be somewhere that explains what the specific wire harness is for and the wire colors but for the life of me I am not finding it in the book.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The EVTM is the way to go for wiring.  And I think you'll find that the connector would have been for the Throttle Kicker Module on Page 52: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/carburetor-circuits.html

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
On #1 there are a couple of connectors behind the HVAC that look about like that... my guess would be either the clock plug-in or the connector for the optional courtesy lights in the glove box and kick panel areas.

#2 I have no idea...

#3 sounds like the under-hood retractable Light. It had its own braided metal ground strap between the hood and the firewall and a one-wire connector in the cowl area as you describe.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks!
Heading out to the shop with a flashlight to do some looking.

#1 - I think you're right. Now I need to see what that kicker thing actually is and if I should have one or not.

#2 and 3 - I'll try to have answers to those shortly

Appreciate the links. Sure glad you have these all scanned in.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Ok, so did some floorboard gymnastics and found out at least a couple things. One being that taking photos in the pitch dark actually generates pretty clear photos...

Good idea on the clock connection. Looks like it's on the passenger side of the hump but took a photo of the clock harness anyways for posterity (this is the end of the short clock jumper harness that plugs into the main harness):

#1. Didn't find it on my 80 400 but on both of the 85 460 trucks that connector is connected and goes into the 'v8 Black Box'. Or at least some of the wires on it do:

The box on the 86 is a completely different animal and apparently doesn't use/need that connector. Now I am dying to know what the differences are here in the boxes and wiring.

#2. I am sure it's part of the trailer package but really not sure what it matches with yet in Gary's photos. Tried to get a better photo but not sure I did since my hand takes up half of it:

#3. I do have the firewall ground to engine cable (looks like it's going to the intake manifold on this one) and this unknown ground is actually a Y leg of that same cable:

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
This post was updated on .
By elimination I would say that #2 is C915 in the drawing. Not seeing where that goes or what it does on that page at least but haven't looked through all of the EVTM pages yet to see if it comes back into a picture/diagram.

Update: looks like that box under the dash on the 86 with a bunch of wires in the photo is the speed control. So maybe I just missed seeing the 'v8 Black Box' under there.

From FTE (NumberDummy old post)- the 'v8 Black Box' on the 85's is the Emission Throttle Positioner Control Actuator Assy. Both the 85's did originally have the smog setup (since removed) but so does the 86 (everything is still hooked up) so not really sure why the 86 wouldn't have it.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the thing under the dash is the speed control box.  

As for C915, check Page 72: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/exterior-lamps1.html.  It goes to side marker lamps.  Maybe you don't have them?

On the ground wire, I think that the EFI system used a leg off the engine/firewall ground, but I'm not finding it.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The ground pigtail on the 1986 was never connected to anything on Darth or Matt's F150 5.0L EFI, I hever found anything it is used for, underhood light is fed from a pigtail on the battery positive stud on the driver's side firewall. That was the source for several items. It is shown in the power distribution section on the 1986 EVTM.

Clearance lights, those could be the roof lights if it is under the dash near the fuse box. The rear fender lights on the dually are fed from a relay that doubles as the trailer tow running lamp feed.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks guys!

That puts the #3 ground wire to rest.

I don't have cab roof clearance lights - yet. The lights are on their way actually and I'll be pulling the harness from the 83 parts truck once weather warms up.

That Exterior Lamps diagram does seem to indicate that's what the #2 plug is for as the wires on the plug look to be black, white, and white w/red stripe. Wonder what it's calling 'Body Marker Lamps with Trailer'. The wording just seems a little odd to be referring to trailing running lights. Guess I could check and see if the plug is always hot or not.

So on a dually are the rear fender lights always on when the truck is running?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
No, the running (park lamps) circuit activates the relay to power them, the reason was to take the added load of the 7 extra lights (2 on each fender and 3 under the tailgate) off the light switch.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Ah, I was misreading the 'always hot' part of the diagram. Will have to keep an eye out for anyone that has that #2 connector plugged in to see what additional lights they have.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
You have to pay attention to relays. The relay power contact can be always hot. Question for you, the two lead female plug in picture #2, with the yellow a yellow red wire. Where is that located? Under dash or underhood? I know it will not be C915, it's in the back at the rear crossmember.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
#2 is underhood under the brake booster. The connector is in a harness that comes through the firewall above the cable management sleeve that is mounted above the brake distributing/proportioning valve.

Hard to see from the photos but it's actually a 3 wire connector with what appears to be black, white, and white w/red stripe. I need to get on a stool to lean closer to it and see if the black and white go into the same terminal (only saying that based on their proximity in the photo).

The C915 was based on viewing the connectors in the right hand drawing here:
http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/trailer-option1.html

Not positive it's that one - it just appeared to be the most likely choice.

This evening I can try to match wire colors under the dash and maybe do some continuity checking.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
You need to use the 1986 EVTM, Ford changed a number of wiring items between 1985 and 1986, the most important being the wire colors. 1985 used dots or dashes, 1986 it was changed to stripes.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I'll check that out (http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/trailer-option.html)
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Ran into an issue (may start a new thread for it) but looks like #2 is for sure the body marker lamps circuit.
The white w/red stripe looks to go into this relay (photo below) which matches the diagram (http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/exterior-lamps.html). The Trailer Lamps Relay Terminals diagram cutout shows the same 5 wires that are shown in the photo below.

I've stared at that diagram a long time and it's finally making some sense.
I see the plug location at C915 in the bottom left and it showing the white+bk combining matches the plug.
My understanding is that the whole mess of lights  in the middle of diagram is IF something was plugged into the #2 plug in question. That 'something' being the wiring and the Marker Lamps Relay.

The part that was really throwing me was that I didn't notice C915 is in the middle top (below the 'funnel bracket') and at the bottom left. Once I mentally combined those two points into one plug it was more clear.

So there are 3 lamp circuits with 7 bulbs: RH side body, LH side body, and Rear.  
As was mentioned earlier, the DRW's have front and back fender lights which match the diagram for RH and LH side with their front/rear notation. They also have the under tailgate lights (rear circuit).

Can stylesides also have RH and LH side lights and rear lights as a factory option (like a camper special setup)? The diagram seems to indicate that they can unless I am misreading the 'funnel bracket' part.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't answer your question.  I'm not able to find a description of the side marker lights in the two dealer facts books I have on-line, although I have discovered that the 1983 version thereof appears to be missing 24 pages - right in the section I wanted to study - Options and Accessories.

Maybe someone else can answer the question of "Can stylesides also have RH and LH side lights and rear lights as a factory option (like a camper special setup)?"

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
No, but a styleside with the trailer tow package will still have that same relay. It shows it as either or. I see you also have the hot fuel handling package from the fuel pump relay (inside the cover below the green relay).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile