classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unused Wiring Connector Identification

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks to both of you. Will take me awhile to figure out how they've got those diagrams put together. Seeing the Body Marker Lamps With Trailer on one side and the Body Marker Lamps With Dual Rear Wheels as an either or situation is confusing in the diagram at the top but it is what makes sense with the RH/LH front/rear notations in relation to the dually fenders.

Glad you pointed that out Bill. I saw that after I took the photo but forgot to see what it was. I am so used to the barebones flatbed 1 tons that all of this extra stuff is new to me.

Since you have an 86 460 would you be able to see if you have the v8 Black Box on yours? Or I guess it would have been removed when you converted it (if it was there to begin with)?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Mine did have the, as you call it, V8 black box. But along with the other changes I went with the later all electronic speed control. It uses the same switches so when Ford changed from vacuum to electronic in 1993 only the wiring changed. You will also see a metal can with 3 leads next to it, that is the horn relay, only speed control equipt trucks got that since the speed control switches use the horn circuit for power and ground.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by kramttocs
kramttocs wrote
...I am not sure how to tell what it is used for. ...I'd need to know what to search for...
Happy to provide more photos or wire colors.
Search for the wire colors on this & the NEXT several pages:

Ford was pretty good about using the same colors for a given circuit function regardless of year or model.  For example: all simple horn power wires are DB (dark blue), and are circuit #1 (apparently the first electrical device Ford ever put on any vehicle).

But obviously, there are far more circuits than color combinations, so there will be MANY functions for any wire's color(s).  So when you have a multi-wire connector, look up several of its colors, and you should notice some relationship among a few of the definitions, which will help you narrow-down the system or component that the connector belongs to.  You can then look up that system on a wiring diagram to find out if you've got the right purpose for the connector.
kramttocs wrote
...a lot of them terminate with 'Wiring Assembly XXXXX'
How do I track down the details of XXXXX?
That means it's an "inline" connector; a connector between wiring harness sections, as opposed to a connector from the harness to a component.  So there may be several systems passing through 1 connector.  There is an EVTM cell that lists all the harness sections (just by number, which makes it nearly useless) & attached connectors, but not all EVTMs contain that cell, and I don't remember its number offhand.  It's a high number, near the end of the manual.

This is a generic diagram for vacuum cruise:

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
That list by colors will be handy. Thanks!
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio