150 messages Options
1234 ... 8
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Underhood Work Light LED Replacement

kramttocs
Administrator
Has anyone switched their underhood bulb to an led? I know I looked awhile back but since it's still a mini heat lamp, I assume I didn't find anything.
I think it was a GE 5 or something. I am too attached to my fingerprints to check right now.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Underhood Work Light LED Replacement

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Of course Gary has it illustrated here:  http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/engine-compartment-lamp.html

And it appears in the '85 EVTM on pg 86, here:  http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/courtesy-dome--cargo-lamps.html

But I don't know where to find the lamp designation.

I'm sure an even brighter LED can be sourced, using less power and creating less heat.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Notation says it's a #90 bulb.

LED 90's don't really have any side spread, so if there is room I'd try a 1004.

These seem more common and certainly throw more light around... at 1/10 the wattage of incandescent.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Superbright LEDs also offer this compact 1142.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/1142-led-bulb-w-stock-cover-12-smd-led-ba15d-retrofit-car/1978/
Seems most likely to fit.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thanks a lot Jim. 90 does ring a bell. I'll give that 1142 a shot!
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The above is 105 or 107 lumens for white vs 75 for the #90 incandescent

That's like 37% more light.

ETA: the warm white (2950k) is a touch brighter and draws 0.05A, while the cool white draws 0.10A at 5975k

#90 is 4W
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  (Literally.  )

I have an underhood light to put on Big Blue but haven't yet as it sits with the hood up 100% of the time.  But I'd sure like to have a really bright LED in it when I do put it on.  So please tell us what you find, Scott.  We need to document this.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
I have one as well but the wires are broken close to the case I attempted to solder together new wires but I'm holding out for a better unit on ebay myself.

I know I planned on running a LED bulb but have to decide cause I'm seriously thinking of running the ford oval embossed abs hood insulation on my truck.  Dont think the light could be used with it.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
The lights from Superbright are the ones I used for my under dash lights, and they work really well.

My truck is all LED inside, and if you turn on the footwell lights, dome light, and the map lights, it's daylight in there!
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Took a look at this one.
It reminded me that I actually bought some BA15D's awhile back to try for this. Cheap, junky ebay ones. They are too long for the underhood light cap to go over but even so they don't light up. Even if I rotate the contacts.

I did notice when I looked at a similar ebay listing just now that it shows both bottom contacts are positive and the base is negative.
I haven't tested the underhood light to know how it's wired.

The link you provided I see it is polarity insensitive but don't see if the contacts are + or +/-.

Looking here it has the comment about:

Note that as with common 1142/BA15D/GE90 marine bulbs, the 2 bottom contacts are the power and ground, and the base shell is not connected. Not for use with antique automotive applications which use a different wiring configuration.
Which if that is the real case and the underhood lamp needs the contacts to be + and - that would explain why the ebay leds don't work.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Just chatted with a superbrightleds support tech and he confirmed that listing had + and - bottom contacts.
Seems to contradict the polarity insensitive part though.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Marine bulbs don't use the shell as ground.
The contacts are spring loaded and less prone to corrosion than the brass part of the socket.

I have to assume he meant the contacts are both sides of the connection and that the bulb will still light either way.
I hate having to test T style bulbs for polarity.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by myrl883
I source my LED bulbs from ebay as I go for a 5 chip led bulb set.  The ones that you typically find are forward firing and don't provide a nice uniform even lighting.

I got a set of blue T10 wedge bulbs in my truck and I cant remember the one for the radio but when I pull my radio to service it I got a new led bulb that has two side firing LED chips and one forward firing that should help even out the lighting.

I also got a set of warm white BA9S 5 chip led bulbs for my '56, but I might get something different cause on full brightness the bulbs are way too bright I think the low setting is about the right brightness for full brightness.

and the lowest brightness setting

"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Good point Jim.
I'll pull out a spare underhood lamp and test the contacts to see what's going on. Based on that I'll feel more confident placing an order.

Hey Rusty - Love seeing the photos of the dash lights (esp the 56) but let's avoid too many other bulb numbers floating around in this thread since it's specifically for the underhood light.
There is a really good thread on dash lights here if you want to share your experience/feedback/results. As more of us go that direction, it's always nice to see what others have used.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
How does the mercury switch work, so that the light comes on when the hood is open?

"Silver" has the underhood light... I replaced the bulb, connected the wire and ,,, nada yet.
1985 Flareside 4x4, Silver, 302, AOD, BFG Mud 33x12.50s.  California truck with 140k original miles :)  (and slowly going up)

1977 F250 4x4 Highboy, Dec '76 production.  NP435 4 Speed, NP205, 4:10s.    Military 36.5s
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Bulb in my underhood troubleshooting light is a GE90 bulb.  The socket style is a BA15D which is how you can find a better selection of LED bulbs.

Honestly there are not a whole lot out there option wise that would be very bright in my opinion.  The best one from Superbright LEDs would be the following.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/1142-led-bulb-w-stock-cover-12-smd-led-ba15d-retrofit-car/1978/

If you want to go else where this place is a marine site but they have the bulb and it has the larger chipsets which will emit more light.  Those chip sizes are the same sizes found on the bulbs I stock for my personal vehicles.

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|65136|2312540|2312566|2312568&id=2363799
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by SCFlareside
There is a glass ampule with two contacts in one end and a blob of mercury rolling around in there.
Tip it up so the mercury covers both contacts and electricity can flow.

You may have seen this in the ubiquitous Honeywell dome thermostats.
A bimetallic spring, just like a choke housing, and the bulb on the end.
It was an iconic bit of product design.
I keep a few for using in projects.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Ordered the superbrightled one so will see how it works out. It's a tad bit longer than the ge90 but shouldn't cause any fits.
Decided to see just how far the light would reach last night. Well it went pretty far but didn't want to go back in so ended up pulling if off, taking it apart, cleaning it, greasing it, and adding some extra tension to it.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
how hard was it to take apart and put back together?  My wires were too short and I am not too happy with the leads I was able to solder on.  Been wanting to take it apart and redo it but been apprehensive about taking it apart.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Nothing to it at all. I was going to take some photos but there's really not much in there.

Once you drill out the rivets the two halves come apart without fuss. Inside there is a white pulley made of two halves. On mine the two halves of the pulley came apart while I was pulling the case apart so the spring tried to escape but even if it does, no big deal. One half of the case will have a white lever that is the locking (clicking) mechanism and that's it. The other half has the mercury capsule and wiring.
The pulley splits with some locking tabs.
All I did on mine was wind the spring back in the center of the pulley (since it came out on me), put some dielectric grease on the contacts, and wrapped the light cord back inside the pulley. The spring center post on one half of the case has slot in it that the spring fits into. After putting the pulley back in I gave it a few revolutions until I liked the tension on it. Put the light socket in the holder and then put the other half of the case back on. I used SS button head m3 x 8 bolts with nyloc nuts and a washer.

Reading that is probably more confusing that actually opening it
Scott

1234 ... 8