1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Under hood light - good price

Steve83
Banned User
They're fairly common in JYs in 80s-90s Jeep Cherokees (without the Ford logo, and with a Jeep connector).  But most of the used ones are missing the globe because the tiny retainer fingers break off; or because the rare bulb is replaced with a larger one that melts the globe.  And it's common for the wire to get twisted or dirty, fouling the automatic rewind mechanism.

So that's really a deal of a price for a NOS one.  First thing I'd do is put an LED in it, though.
Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
Well, did anyone here get this one?  I bid on it, but it went higher than I'd like to pay.  Sold for $60 plus shipping.
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
Hey Steve - what led do you put in this one? I remember looking a few months ago but wasn't confident on which would fit. I was thinking the original was something like a GE 50 (could be way off).
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Anything that you can fit.  I wouldn't use the original bulb socket, except maybe as a mounting post.  I'd pull the wiring up through the base (because it fits the reel, and has a useful magnet), solder it directly to the LED, and glue the LED to the socket or plastic base.

But I got mine before LEDs were common, so they have good original-type (described in that caption) bulbs in them.  When those start burning out, I'll start looking for LEDs - maybe the one YOU recommend!
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Haha it may be awhile - ever since I had issues finding a direct fit led (socket and height) I've been pulling the bulbs when I find them in the jy so I should be good for a few years ;)
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio