Ultrasonic cleaner

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ultrasonic cleaner

Danny G
Now I love me some super clean, but when mixed with an ultrasonic cleaner it's even better. The was 30 minutes with 1:1 cleaner to water ratio.

The door mechanism was coated in a thick black layer of gunk. I wanted to clean it up, treat any rust and lubricate with fresh goo before I put it back in the door.

1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ultrasonic cleaner

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  That worked very, very well.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
"Goo"?
I like to use the PB Blaster Corrosion Stop on mechanisms like that.
The waxy residue seems to last better than white lithium. (hinges, hood latch, striker mechanism, etc)

Is your tank heated? I see two controls.

Man, priced on these have come way down in the last three or four decades.
I guess piezo transducers and the circuits to drive them are a lot easier to manufacture today.

BTW, I like your wood top bench/cart.
Have one similar, but the handle is on the end.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I was thinking about buying one of these things a few years back when I was still working on motorcycles a bit. Seemed like a good way to clean carbs and small parts like that. I don't remember why I didn't buy one, but it was probably due to lack of space and that I stopped working on bikes.

Nice job Scatch! Parts look nice and clean.

I'm still doing things the old school way I guess...with cans of brake clean and piles of old toothbrushes...lol.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I soak stuff in a metal can 3/4 full of a witches brew: MEK, Lacquer Thinner, Dichloromethane and Xylene.
A stainless strainer with the handle bent to hook on the edge keeps parts from disappearing, and above the sludge at the bottom.
There's some wax dissolved that floats on top to form a skin and slow evaporation.

I can't believe I still have a functional liver.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
"Goo"?
I like to use the PB Blaster Corrosion Stop on mechanisms like that.
The waxy residue seems to last better than white lithium. (hinges, hood latch, striker mechanism, etc)

Is your tank heated? I see two controls.

I guess piezo transducers and the circuits to drive them are a lot easier to manufacture today.

BTW, I like your wood top bench/cart.
Have one similar, but the handle is on the end.

Yea it has a heater @ 250 watts says it will get up to 60C, 4 x 60w transducers, operates at 40Khz and a 10L tank. It isn't the quietest, but seems to work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I was thinking about buying one of these things a few years back when I was still working on motorcycles a bit. Seemed like a good way to clean carbs and small parts like that. I don't remember why I didn't buy one, but it was probably due to lack of space and that I stopped working on bikes.

Nice job Scatch! Parts look nice and clean.

I'm still doing things the old school way I guess...with cans of brake clean and piles of old toothbrushes...lol.

I bought this to clean gun parts and suppressors after shooting suppressed to save time, then it clicked I could use it for truck parts. Been thinking of taking the micro carb off one of my generators that needs to be cleaned and instead of taking it apart just dunking it in this.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I soak stuff in a metal can 3/4 full of a witches brew: MEK,

I can't believe I still have a functional liver.
Or cancer lol... MEK is nasty stuff. We use MPK now because it's slightly safer but we have to wear special gloves for it called "silver shields" or crazy thick (like 18-20 mil) natural latex gloves and immediately dispose of them after one cleaning and get a new pair for the next round because it will soak through enough to be toxic.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
MEK isn't the evil ingredient.
DCM is.

That stuff burns like hell, and will push chemicals through your skin just as fast as DMSO.

Methylene Chloride has been banned in many countries and states.
It's harder and harder to get ahold of for us civilians.
But is is used in so many products and processes that it can't really be done away with.
 Jim,