classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Two more items on the to-do list

macnewbie
I added two items to my to-do list over the weekend:

1. windshield washer nozzle appears to be clogged. Pump runs but no fluid comes out. Any tips on how to remove the nozzle from the cowl?

2. the turn lights work, but they only "lock" into place properly when signaling a right turn. Left turns do not, however for testing purposes I turned the wheel both directions while parked and low and behold there is a position where it locks (but of course not when the steering is straight ahead). Just listing it here in case this is a known issue with a known solution before I start taking it all apart.

BTW, I have a fairly decent 3d scanner, so I am thinking of scanning certain parts (radio bezel comes to mind) in case anyone wants to 3d print one one day. Any interest?
Juan

1986 F-150 XLT Lariat 2WD, 351w HO
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Two more items on the to-do list

BigBrother-84
Hi, not a pro but went through these two issues:

Q1- You should be able to access it from under the cowl, without unscrewing anything.
Beside wiper motor passenger side, try to pry the two clips and push up:

Q2- When I had this kind of trouble (one turning side didn’t disengaged when coming back to straight drive), I opened the turn signal assy and cleaned it.

A puller is required to pull out the steering wheel.

It worked some times but I finally had to replace the unit.  Amazon, not too expansive.
If you go that way, my advice, buy it new.  I tried the "used part" way, it concluded by a fail, it doesn’t worth the time and effort.

Be careful to order an identical unit, there are couple of "similar" out there, but won’t fit.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

macnewbie
In reply to this post by macnewbie
Excellent, thank you! This forum is truly amazing. A breath of fresh air on the internet.
Juan

1986 F-150 XLT Lariat 2WD, 351w HO
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I believe the brushes and ground are different between trucks with or without speed (cruise) control.

Not sure whether you do, or not, but it's something you need to keep in mind when ordering a replacement turn signal cancel switch.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
I agree with Big Brother. There are a couple different turn signal devices. I got mine all apart before realizing I bought the wrong unit. The part ended up being about $50. I finally decided it wasn't worth it and when I turn right, I just manually click it off. One of these days I'll fix it but my list is too long to to invest $50 in it right now.
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.