classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Truck Won't Start/Fuel

Hound Dog Lew
1983 302 2150 Mechanical Fuel Pump

Truck won't start. Looked in carb, no fuel squirting when pedal pressed. Will start when gas in poured in carb and will run for 2-3 seconds. At this point I can get 2 weak streams of gas in carb then nothing. Have to pour gas back in carb and will run for 2-3 seconds...
Has my fuel pump died?
Fuel filter? (1 year old)
Truck ran fine yesterday.
Thanks
1983 F150 Flareside 302 AOD 3.55
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Truck Won't Start/Fuel

1986F150Six
Administrator
Are you sure there is fuel in the tank?
Reply | Threaded
|

Hound Dog Lew
Yup!
Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
In reply to this post by Hound Dog Lew
I might be able to help with this.  Had a similar issue this spring.

1. How long has it been since you changed your fuel filter?
2. Do you run the tanks down where you suck the crud off the bottom?
3. Check for old fuel lines with wear, tear or cracking.  (Mine are 99% rubber hose from previous owner)  

In the end, I would've bet my children that it wasn't the fuel filter because I changed it about 6 months earlier.  But lo and behold!  It was.  Since swapping filter and hose to the pump, I've had ZERO issues with fuel getting to the engine and running.

I don't know the 302 so I ask the question to someone else if it's a mechanical pump like my 351.  The old mechanical pumps are pretty reliable from what I've read and been told.

Seals and keeping oil in the truck are another story completely for me...  
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

Hound Dog Lew
Turns out the issue was the rubber hose between the gas tank and hard fuel line.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Sucking air...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Hound Dog Lew
Glad you got it fixed!  

The rubber hoses on these trucks don't like ethanol and I've seen them leak air when the engine was running and ooze gas when the engine was off - right through the sidewall with no apparent holes in them.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI