classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Truck Names

Machspeed
Administrator
So I've noted that many here have names for their trucks. Curious as to how your truck was named?

I bought my Bullnose new and so it was around when my kids came into the world. My son at age three or four called it "The Big Truck". Later, after watching some horse movie, both my daughter and son referred to it as "The Black" and then "Blackie". And so, my kids name my truck and it has stuck.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Truck Names

FuzzFace2
I have never named any of my cars or trucks guess I just don't see the point
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Machspeed
My son (16 at the time) and a group of his friends named mine Darth Vader as the predominantly black paint, Lund visor and the grille guard made it look like Darth Vader.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mine have been:

Dad's Truck as Dad owned it first.

Blue was initially named Big Blue, until it pulled the '85 truck home and I learned it's smaller.  So the 2015 became Blue and the '85 became Big Blue.

Huck was half a truck, the frame having been literally sawn in half right behind the cab.

Rusty was.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
Of my fleet, the only ones with names are my '94 OBS turbo diesel. It's "The Turd", because not only is it brown, but it has been plagued with fuel system and engine problems since I've owned it, so it is kind of a turd.

The other one with a name is the Parts Truck. I bought it in a package deal with a 1986 flare side, and it was meant to be a donor vehicle. I got it running to evaluate it, and decided that it's too nice to "part out". Y'all have seen pics of it...
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Mine was named Red Rider by my youngest daughter when she was six. It was something I would say all of the time, trying not to cuss around the wife and kids when I came home at night from the Army. " You betcha Red Rider" and that came from a raido show my parents would listen to when I was a kid.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by myrl883
'Lil Red is smaller than 'Big Red' (a F600) but she's been trustworthy companion for over 30 years.

I don't know what is do without a vehicle I can limp home or fix with bailng wire.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Mine was named by me back in oh 93 or 94.  As a kid I had a electronic toy truck that had these 4x4 wheels that would open up with claws to help climb up over anything in its way, also had a metallic dog like mouth that when closed made up part of the frame.

Since then I took over the truck as the only other option was for the truck to be sold and considering all the time I put into helping work on the truck as a kid I said nope.  Now I am looking at different fonts to try and come up with some kind of lettering for the truck.

Not sure if I want to go traditional 80's/90's with the billboard bug shield on the hood with the name on it, or after replacing the glass have the font cut out on a stencil and etch the glass in the sun screen with it or just a decal on the dash or back window or something.

My other vehicles they were either named when I got them or never received a name.  I dont like naming as I find it hard to come up with a proper fitting name.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
My 2003 Ranger ended up with the name Sticks because I was originally going to buy a 1997 Ranger STX, and I referred to that truck as "Stix". But when I ended up with the 03 instead, I gave the name to that truck with a slight spelling change.

My 2002 Ranger is nicknamed Toreador, because it is Toreador Red.

My F350 has no nickname.

FuzzFace2 wrote
Dave ----
You realize the point when you have two of the same truck, and you need to be able to differentiate them when talking to people about them. Haha.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
lol Or when you have four different vehicles its easier by name than by constantly saying the year or make/model or any combination of that.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
My 2003 Ranger ended up with the name Sticks because I was originally going to buy a 1997 Ranger STX, and I referred to that truck as "Stix". But when I ended up with the 03 instead, I gave the name to that truck with a slight spelling change.

My F350 has no nickname.

FuzzFace2 wrote
Dave ----
You realize the point when you have two of the same truck, and you need to be able to differentiate them when talking to people about them. Haha.
I have 2 different 1970 AMC Javelins, no names, 1 a street car other a drag car.
Maybe I don't talk about them much to name them
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
FuzzFace2 wrote
salans7 wrote

My F350 has no nickname.

FuzzFace2 wrote
Dave ----
I have 2 different 1970 AMC Javelins, no names, 1 a street car other a drag car.
Maybe I don't talk about them much to name them
Dave ----
Maybe you don't spend enough time with them....lol!

86 Ford F150 - Blackie
2014 Ford Focus ST - Catfish
1969 Mustang Mach 1 - Queenie
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Or just cant come up with names.  

Names were not chosen by me outside of my truck as I just suck with naming.  But my '63 and '78 I never settled on a name.  I did a drawing years ago of my '63 with a old race car name where I did the name "Gold Rush" due to the saddle tan poly color but its not offical.  My '78 I did at one time use the name Bast which a buddy she recommended it as Bast was the Egyptian goddess of cats.  I kinda liked it cause it could also be short for another word but it never really stuck.  Me I just refer to them by their year since I only have one of them.  If I ever got another year then I would need a more specific way to make it known which one I am talking about.

For my truck I kinda want a decal on the truck ala 1980's/90's truck style but the name is just so short any font style I try just doesnt look right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
My truck is named the "Blue Mule" after the Truck in the movie White Line Fever (1975, I think). I believe the original truck was a 1973 COE Ford.

As a kid I was absolutely crazy over car and truck movies and shows...Smokey & The Bandit, The Dukes of Hazard, etc...I was obsessed with this stuff as a kid, and remained so well into adulthood...lol.

I had a Blue Bullnose flareside back in the early 90's, and it too was referred to as the "Blue Mule".

It was just one of those movie names that stuck in my head. If my truck wasn't blue I likely wouldn't have named it at all...lol.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
This post was updated on .
Brutus got his name  way back when he still had new truck smell.   it was given by Nick's friend Eddie.  A friend had a 80 foot yacht.  he had a chevy truck with a 454 that could not pull it out of the water.  Eddie had a Dodge with a 440, it budged it, but couldn't do it.  Then comes Brutus, everybody saying and laughting , it can't pull that thing out, its just a six.  Well, we all know it did.  In first gear ideling.   The following day, Nick had a trailer hooked up to Brutus with a tailer with either a trans am or a GTX, i cant remember, and had 3 big block engines in the bed.  Eddie was driving his Dodge with 3 big blocks in the bed and the Dodge died and Nick had to push the Dodge with Brutus and the trailer.   Since then Eddie started calling it Brutus and the name just stuck.  Some friends refer to the Bullnose as a   " Brutus Truck "
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
My wife named mine - thanks to the various smokes, leaks, drips, and rattles it had early on, she constantly called it the 'truck of doom'.  The truck has slowly but continuously improved over time, but the name stayed.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
These are fun stories to read.

I think vehicle names work best when they are given by someone else, other than yourself.  My truck didn't really have a name (well maybe it did, but I can't repeat it here), until I got it back from the paint shop and I finished the interior and starting showing it.  The main judge at the first car show I was in asked me what the "original" paint color was (I get that question a lot, actually) and I answered with, "[Dark Canyon Red] IS the original color."  He was surprised and impressed with the deep shade of red/brown.  When he got to the inside, he was equally impressed with the plush Canyon Red velour upholstery.  He flashed a slight grin and said, "it looks like she is a natural red-head!"  I laughed, and my wife wanted in on the joke.  So I told her, and she said it looks like it belongs to a movie star, what with the shiny red paint with all of the extra Lariat "jewelry" and the swanky, bordello-style interior.  Then she said, "...it looks like a truck LUCILLE BALL would own."

That is when my truck became known as "Lucille."

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
This has been a fun thread. Really enjoy hearing the stories. And WOW, some of you guys have some real beauties too! Lucille is a looker!!!  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
I jokingly refer to my 81 as "The Deuce", for two reasons. One, it is my second truck (never had two before at one time), the first one being an '06 F150. Second, because it looks like, well, you get the idea.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Lucille is a looker! The truck is nice too!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona