34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Truck Names

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
Pete Whitstone wrote
I jokingly refer to my 81 as "The Deuce", for two reasons. One, it is my second truck (never had two before at one time), the first one being an '06 F150. Second, because it looks like, well, you get the idea.
I really dig that name!  Your truck also has a KILLER theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83f_oVMPv4E
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
I call mine Frankenstein because it is put together with misc. parts. Not very original but hey I'm not that original anyway, just old.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
The only vehicle that ever had a name and really stuck was the 82 F250 we used on the farm. "M4C" after our family farm McCarty Creek Cattle Company.

Otherwise it's pretty much: the tan truck, grandpa's truck, the red dually, the white dually, the new truck, the 1 ton, etc

I could say I've named my trucks by the town where I bought them but those only really get used here.

Good thread idea - neat to read the stories behind the names
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

john
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
My dear wife named mine the Blue Pill Express. No not THAT blue pill ... the other blue pill... Aleve.
Because I take a pill before working on it and afterwards. Plus it’s the same shade of blue.
John in Odessa, Tx
1981 F150, Custom base model
Holley 390 w/Offenhauser intake
EFI exhaust
T170 SROD transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
That's good stuff, John...lol!  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseLuvr
In reply to this post by grumpin
I bought my truck from a good friend's mother after she was widowed.  They lived on a farm in Mississippi and he used it on the farm only -- it hadn't been registered or used on a public roadway for years.  (The passenger door had a large oil-can dent from when a cow had leaned against it.)  When his father put HUGE Maxxis Mudder tires on it my friend and his buddies nicknamed it "Feets", so Feets it is.

Mark
‘84 F150 4x4 351W 4sp. Regular cab, long bed, all original. '69 Continental MK III. Older restoration. '95 Saab 900S Convertible. '05 Saab 9-3 ARC Convertible 2.0T. Lime Yellow. '09 Saab 9-3 AERO Convertible 2.8T. Sand Beige top. '13 MINI Cooper Factory JCW 6sp. '01 H-D Sportster. '03 Yamaha FZ-1.
Reply | Threaded
|

Charles Seymour
In reply to this post by Machspeed
My truck is a blue 86 Ford F-150 302 short wheel base 4x4. She got her name Betty because of the song "old black betty" I'm sure you know it. But she's blue so I can't name her Black Betty. So, Betty is where she got her name.  
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I'm into blues so I was looking for something like that.   Wife had a Tuscon we called Delta becuse we would go to Clarksdale MS for Delta blues every year.   Thought about Delta II.   Then we were joking one night and decided Walter would be fun because our daughter names everything with older names.  She had cats named Gerald and Cecil.  

Walter seems like an older gent's name (I had a great uncle Walter), and the truck seems to be an older gent.   But if he tells me different, we will do that.  I sometimes feel like I should be wearing a fedora like older men wear to drive to church.   That's about all I see driving the few bulls left around here.  I've also called it "You big blue POJ/C/S"  Junk/Crap/s - well you get the idea.

I have a 2020 Hyundai Kona that the wife named Zippy because it zips around everywhere I go.  Anytime I do something quick in it, she calls it a "Zippy squirt".  Silly name, but that's fine with me.

It doesn't have to have a name to me.   Wife likes a name for the cars.  She calls her Sante Fe "Classy" because she feels it's very nice (it is).   I call it "Bread truck" because it feels like I'm driving a bread truck compared to my little Kona.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
Funny, I've never been big on naming my vehicles but others of my family will periodically attach a name to something. Sometimes it sticks other times it doesn't.
When I first brought home my '85 my wife started calling it "Old Irish" because it reminded her of her old Uncle Irish's truck, but it didn't really take. We just call it "the truck" because our other vehicle isn't a truck.
But then I brought home a project-worthy '82. When my son came out to have a look at it he named it "the Beige Beast" because of it's faded beige paint job (complete with lichen patches), 35" inch tires and old-school halogen light bar, all of which gives it a more beastly look than "the truck". That name stuck firmly.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what was that beige-ish color might have been called when new (I'm assuming it's original)?

Lucas
"The truck" - 1985 regular cab F250 4x4 - 351W HO, C6
"Beige Beast" (project) - 1981 regular cab F250 4x4 - 300 straight six, T18
Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
I've never been big on naming vehicles, my Suzuki Samurai is just the Samurai, my wifes Kia is the Kia, my Dart is the Dart.  For some reason we named the truck.  My wife and I are horror movie fans and the fabric I chose to replace the headliner is the same pattern as the carpet in the movie The Shining so we went with Redrum.  We'll see if it sticks.
Chris
1985 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab
ZF5-42 swapped 460 hot fuel, factory AC.
Part way through 4WD swap.

1988 Suzuki Samurai -- Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Dart -- Project car
1957 Chevy 4400 Flat Bed -- Collector Project
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
CRittaler wrote
... same pattern as the carpet in the movie The Shining so we went with Redrum.
I like it! Please tell me you have an Overlook 237 keychain
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
I actually don't lol but I'm going to look for one now!
Chris
1985 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab
ZF5-42 swapped 460 hot fuel, factory AC.
Part way through 4WD swap.

1988 Suzuki Samurai -- Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Dart -- Project car
1957 Chevy 4400 Flat Bed -- Collector Project
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Lima Delta
We have the paint codes here, in the documentation....

Desert Tan, Fawn, Pastel Sand perhaps?
I can't see much on my phone but the paint codes are right on your door sticker.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ranchman
In reply to this post by CRittaler
When I was a young man I worked at the Stanley hotel. Redrum :-) And yes it was haunted.

My Mom named the truck big blue when my Dad bought it new. She had a hard time getting in it. As time went on the named changed to Old Blue. I kept the name.
 Jeff,
I like trucks. I really like Ford trucks, Old Blue 1986 F250 460 4x4 standard, Polar Bear 1992 F250 460 4x4 Auto, Blackie 2001 F150 5.4 4x4 Auto and a Chevy Named White Truck 1979 C30 454 standard.    What did I do with that wench I just had it!