classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Troubleshooting Help

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I just put the '82 Bronco brochure up on the site.

BUT, I need y'all to help me understand what is going on.  You will see that there are two pictures of the cover - pages 1 & 2  And on my computers the first one is blotchy, as shown below.  But the second page isn't blotchy.  And, if I put #2 in place of #1 in the file it comes through crisply - as does the other one.

To say it another way, some pages look blotchy if they are made to be Page 1 in the file, but other scans of the same page look great as Page 1.  

So, is the first page blotchy to you?  How does the second page look to you?

The first page was scanned in using a commercial scanner at 600 dpi and it looks great when I look at the pdf.  (You can download the pdf to see if it changes for you if you want.)  But the second page was scanned in using my new Xerox scanner - which is why it doesn't capture all of the page as the page is larger than 8 1/2 x 11.

I've seen this before.  Meaning that many of my scans heretofore have had a blotchy first page, although the subsequent pages are fine.  In fact, if you move Page 1 to be the second page it is fine.

But I soon noticed that my new scanner doesn't do that.  IOW, all of the pages come out CRISP, regardless of where they are in the order.

Again, you can't see the difference when looking at the pdf itself, only when it is embedded on here.  

Anyone have any observations?  Suggestions?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Troubleshooting Help

grumpin
I see what you mean. Wondering if the first page is different material.

Thicker or a coating on it.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I don’t know if I can be of much help, but some years ago I was doing some scanning and printing and ran into some cube-like blotchy prints similar to this. I was told it was a compression artifact and I actually got better results scanning at less resolution and then not compressing as much. I have no idea if this applies or why it would affect different pages differently. I just thought I’d throw it out there as a possible cause of the problem.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dane - It isn't a coating as it looks very good when you look at the pdf itself rather than the embedded image.

Jonathan - You may be onto something.  The page that looks good is scanned at 300 dpi and the one that looks blotchy is scanned at 600 dpi.

But, the issue is only with the first page.  You can shuffle 600 dpi pages all day long and the one that is first looks blotchy.  However, if you go with 300 dpi the first page always looks good.

So it looks like there is some algorithm that is compressing the first page in a way that makes it blotch if it is 600 dpi, but not so at 300 dpi.  But why does it only happen with the first page?

Anyway, I'm scanning at 300 using my own scanner, and will ask the professionals to go down to that when I have more scanned.  But, I may be able to downgrade existing scans to get around the problem.  We shall see.

Thanks, guys!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Maybe you should just scan a blank page first and everything that should be clear will be clear???  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I don't like that idea because it may make people think they've gotten the wrong thing, but I tried it just to prove it'll work.  Go take a look: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1982-bronco.html

And, it does work.  So, that pretty much proves it is something to do with a first page scanned at too high of resolution.  And the easy solution it to only scan at 300 dpi.  But once we've looked at this one long enough I'll see if I can compress it a bit.  Maybe that will solve the problem.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Maybe you can scan a page that has some simple blurb that says something like "Gary has scanned the following document"

People wouldn't think they were lost, nor would they take offense.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, see what you think of that.  

(An evil grin is on that page in the pdf, but doesn't seem to come through on the webpage.    Anyway, I've read so many IBM documents that said THIS PAGE HAS BEEN LEFT BLANK that I just HAD to do that.  I've been waiting for that opportunity for decades!)

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Looks good!

That’s funny, I’ve read this page intentionally left blank for years with aircraft manuals.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And now you know why!   😈
 Jim,