Tremec RTS rebuild

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tremec RTS rebuild

blackdog
I took the top cover off of my transmission to inspect the main gears in order to decide whether or not i could use this tranny in place of the AOD<nabble_embed></nabble_embed>, and it looks to be in really nice shape. i picked up a bearing splitter/puller from harbor freight for fifty clams and now i just need to decide on which rebuild kit to buy, so i should be able to break this thing down, clean it, and replace everything i need to in the next couple weeks. i'm going to be taking a bunch of photos (posting some), and maybe a video if i'm feeling tech-y. if anybody has/knows where to buy a shop manual / rebuild guide for these i'd appreciate the info. although i feel comfortable enough to carry out the rebuild without it, i would love to have company material. apparently these are popular swaps for model A guys who want an overdrive gear, yet i still cant find any downloadable files or ways to purchase any manuals. If anyone has any information that might be of use for reference or otherwise, it is gladly welcomed. Thanks

86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tremec RTS rebuild

blackdog
steve, i just saw your diagram posting of TOD exploded on that other site, this is great
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by blackdog
I'll show my ignorance - is the RTS also known as something else?  Was it original to these trucks?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
a.k.a TOD "remote tower shift" or "three-rail overdrive?". seems that it was original to these trucks, replaced either SMOD or SROD after 83. housing has "ford" stamped into it, and one or two or three sites relating to swapping these into model A's has it listed as an available transmission on ford trucks from 83/84-87. i'll post cast numbers and transmission tag tomorrow for reference. tremec apparently also built these for jeeps and fords as early as mid seventies, with some changes along the way. in my post "trans swap?", one user johnny something (whose comments have been deleted from multiple threads) posted that mine could be a tremec instead of a "ford, ford" toploader, and i believe that he is correct. all gears are synchronized (which means always moving, sometimes engaged?) and there are three rails in topcover which engage the gears. just my luck that the transmission that i stumble upon has little to no references or documentation. the official tremec site has pdf's of theirpast model transmissions, but i didnt have casting number handy to look mine up earlier. tomorrow after work i will cross reference and see if they have mine in their archives for free download. this transmission seems to have been offered in light duty trucks, mostly the 300's but also with some 302's, according to one site on converting these for model A usage. This site has coding and gear ratios listed for every transmission of this type listed, so i will dig that link up and post it here along with the info from mine tomorrow.
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If it is original then wouldn't the factory shop manual have the rebuild info?  I'll check tomorrow and can scan it in if so.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
that would be fantastic! it came out of a 1984 300 RWD, if that distinction makes any difference. i believe one or two users on here replied to my other thread with experience on these transmissions, so i'll probably post there tomorrow so that they'll see it too
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by blackdog
blackdog wrote
a.k.a TOD "remote tower shift" or "three-rail overdrive?". seems that it was original to these trucks, replaced either SMOD or SROD after 83.
The transmission section in the 1984 Factory Service Manual shows two different 4spd/OD transmissions. One is for the Vans, and the one for the trucks is the "TOD", shown below in the right hand column in section 16-27-01 as the "Single Rail Four-Speed".

The transmission looks like this one, right?

The top cover on this trans is very similar to the 1988-1996 M5OD-R2 5spd transmission.

The factory manual has a great service section on the TOD with lots of pictures. My PDF software won't let me extract the pages, so I would have to print them and then scan as a single document (Which I would have to do at work). Between Gary and I, one of us can get you the TOD section.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thank, Cory.  I don't have an '84 manual but am cutting up an '85 to scan, so if it has it we'll have it a bit later today.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
Thank, Cory.  I don't have an '84 manual but am cutting up an '85 to scan, so if it has it we'll have it a bit later today.
I just had a quick look at the '85 FSM and the manual trans section appears to be identical to the '84.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
In reply to this post by Rembrant
That's the one, rembrant
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
See if this is what you need: Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/TOD.

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
Whoo hoo! Awesome thanks guys
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator