classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transmission Swap Suggestions

Ray Cecil
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I know they can be had with 3 shifter positions and many ratios.

What they call Ford spline is the input, but I've never personally seen one with a transfer case bolted to it.

I imagine divorced is easy enough to do.

If you want to LS swap this truck why would you dump 3k into a Ford gearbox ?

ETA: I can't imagine why you would need (or, want) a 5-600 ftlb gearbox for a 300, no matter how built it is.
Ive played around with the idea of swapping this 4.8 LS into the truck, yes. However, Ive never made plans to do so. The LS was purchased for the 69 Chevy.

After getting some miles in the truck, I enjoy this 300 very much. After some suspension work, and a nicer 5 speed, I might do a turbo setup on this thing. So having an overbuilt trans might just be a good idea. Its nothing for a properly built turbo 300 to push 400lb ft and into the 300 hp range. My dads friend let me drive his fuel injected turbo 300 and it was a beast. Rewired a 302 v8 computer and did a MAF setup on it. Another friend of ours tuned it on a dyno. He has since sold it. I think he had the factory 5 speed in it.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
You must have been joking then.

A factory Zf-5 is rated at 420# for the Windsor and comes in 4wd.

***If your fathers friend had an F-150, or a LD 250 it would have came with an M5OD from the factory.
The Zf was not an option.  ***

Yes you would have to get a hydraulic pedal box.

You would still be 2k below the cost of a TKO and all the parts are off the shelf or out of Ford's catalog.
The sticks work with the holes in your floor.
The transfer case stays the same.

Do what you want. It's not my truck, or my life.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Zach 1981 Flareside
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
I don't know about the 4x4, but I would assume it would work because you're truck currently has the same transmission mine had, Single Rail Over-drive.  That SROD happens to be a Tremec too, which isn't relevent but kinda interesting.
Zach. 1981 F150 Flareside 300 straight 6 all stock except Tremec TKO 5 speed transmisson. Nashville TN.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ford gearboxes come with either a tailshaft or a flange for the transfer case.
The output shaft lenght is not the same.

Can you get an extended or shortened output shaft made for a TKO 500?
How much would it cost?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Zach 1981 Flareside
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I wanted it for the 1.34 3rd gear, and it's not a sloppy shifter like an autozone rebuilt SROD.  And it has short throw.  Did a lot of research and found that as my only option for a direct swap.  I don't have the skills to swap something that requires modifications... i don't even have skill or equipment to weld a cross-member.  This one even uses stock mechanical clutch.  No regets on the price because only other option to get a five speed was to buy a different truck.  My truck has been in family since it was new.

I did some calculating today and plan to get 3.25 rear end, gonna has a shop rebuild it, that make 5th gear set for highway and it doesnt change 1-4 too much.  2.75 is not good for me now that I got rid of the original transmission.

Dropped about $8K in truck so my daughter has reliable truck for high-school in 4 years.  Wife bought that line, after protesting investment for myself.  New shocks and springs, oak bed (daughter helped on that project) interior, brakes, deleted immissions mess, added a second battery and a modern day stereo, stuff like that.  Gonna keep grandpa's old 300 and shifter knob that shows wrong shift pattern.  Truck was given to me with with the new paint, so I have an $8k truck... no regrets on expensive transmission.

Zach. 1981 F150 Flareside 300 straight 6 all stock except Tremec TKO 5 speed transmisson. Nashville TN.
Reply | Threaded
|

Zach 1981 Flareside
Don't know about 4x4.  Really had the transmission dealer do the thinking.  They said it would fit and it does... but I have 4x2.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Zach 1981 Flareside
A father, daughter mechanical project *is a great thing these days Zach!

It's a beautiful truck and I'm sure she will be proud to drive it.  

Glad you're doing what you must to keep it in the family!  

*autocorrect
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Zach 1981 Flareside
Yeah, I might not get so lucky with a 5 speed for 4x4.

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
A father, daughter mechanical project it a great thing these days Zach!

X2 what he said!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
A father, daughter mechanical project *is a great thing these days Zach!

*autocorrect
Times 3!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI