Transfer case stuck

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Transfer case stuck

FrazerJames
Just an update on my newly acquired 83 Bronco. It’s in front of the house now, but I can’t get it to start. I think the battery needs a charge since it has been started a bunch over the last few days without driving far enough to get charged. That‘s easy enough...

My real issue is that I was messing around with my new toy and dropped it into 4WD. It was a bit hard to shift into it, but not ridiculous. But now I can’t get it out. I don’t want to force it of course so I resisted that temptation. I figure since it sat for so long it may just be gunky under there, but then I thought - what if I’m just doing this wrong and have no idea.

So there. Am I doing this wrong? I’ve searched all over youtube and the forums and all I keep seeing is later models with stuck transfer cases. I can’ find anything for a Bullnose except a guy taking one apart. Any thoughts?
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Current Name: Whitney
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Transfer case stuck

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sometimes you have to roll it a bit to get it to come out.  Usually if you have the engine running and in neutral that will do it.  But if you can't get it started, and you are on The Hill, roll it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Why would the engine running and the transmission/gearbox in neutral do anything?

There's no relative motion of the transfer case input shaft.  🙅

If you mean the transfer case is in neutral, that I understand...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
I would imagine putting it in neutral takes some pressure off the forward pull?

Either way - thanks!! I’ll try that!
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim - My assumption has been that there's enough drag in the transmission to cause the output shaft of the tranny to want to spin, gently.  And that it is just enough to take the bind out of the t-case gears.

But I've had more than one t-case not want to shift if the engine was off.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Took a little bit of finagling after getting it started, but it’s back in 2wd now. Thanks Gary!
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!