Transfer case shifter boot

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Transfer case shifter boot

Gsmblue
This is a small one that is bugging me.. The Bronco has the boot around the 4x4 shifter but it is not secured in place. When driving you can see straight through to the road.

Does anyone have an exploded view of this part? Is there supposed to be some kind of retaining ring? How is this thug supposed to be sealed?

Any help appreciated!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Transfer case shifter boot

grumpin
Your question piqued my interest. And it's a good question, they don't seem to exist!

Wow! Couldn't find anything.

Fabrication time I guess.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The catalog doesn't show much on that boot, and the illustration below appears to be the best it has.  But, the boot just screws to either the floor pan or the transmission cover.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
I have seen some boots on earlier year trucks that have a chrome trim ring to retain the rubber. Most, however, have the metal ring cast into the rubber of the boot. That is screwed to the floor with sheet metal screws and hidden by carpet. I have no idea what transmissions/transfer cases and what years had the chrome ring, but if your boot does not have metal embedded in the rubber base, it might be missing the chrome one...

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
The boot has an internal ring whereas it is screwed to the cover below. The screws are hidden by the bellows of the boot.

Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I am back from my work trip so I will run out to the truck later and see what is there... I do not recall any kind of metal retaining ring in the boot, but it may be hiding under the carpet..

Thanks for all the help. I will post my findings later.

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Well. It looks like the carpet needs to be pulled up and then I can pull the ring up, replace the screws that have threaded the sheet metal...

Thank you for the help, I have half a clue now... but now I need an intact boot.. never ending...

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
So your '82 has the external ring? My '83 does not.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
The ring sits on the boot, under the carpet.

The boot is really in bad shape. Ideally I would find a new boot, pull the carpet up, sound deaden the floor and then install the boot/ring/new trim I just got on ebay and put the carpet back.

I doubt that will happen this year... probably a spring project..

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Mine originally had plastic flooring hiding the stamped steel ring over the last lip of the boot, held down by 4 Phillips screws going into the tunnel cover plate.  I've never seen the 7E074 seal, on any '80-86 truck.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gsmblue wrote
The ring sits on the boot, under the carpet.

The boot is really in bad shape. Ideally I would find a new boot, pull the carpet up, sound deaden the floor and then install the boot/ring/new trim I just got on ebay and put the carpet back.

I doubt that will happen this year... probably a spring project..
Hey Gsmblue,

Did you ever find this shifter boot? I happened to obtain a transfer case shifter boot out of a 1982 Bronco recently, and I do not need it. It is the boot on the left in the picture below, and it still has the stamped steel plate on the bottom. If you're interested in it, let me know. If not, then no worries.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
PS: I should clarify...

The boot on the left was supposedly removed from a 1982 Bronco...I did not see the vehicle myself, and I'm only assuming that it is the transfer case shifter boot (Otherwise there would have also been a trans shifter boot included with it?). The boot on the right is NOT from the same Bronco....it is there for comparison only.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseSooner
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Resurrection time... did you ever sell that transfer case boot?
Reply | Threaded
|

octaviobours
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Hi
Do you still have the extra shifter boot?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
octaviobours wrote
Hi
Do you still have the extra shifter boot?
You apparently missed the email I just sent you asking you to post an introduction in the New Members Start Here folder.  That is important as you'll get to see our guidelines when you do, and we hold everyone to them so you need to read them.

Don't worry, plenty of people miss that step, but please follow through so we can answer your questions.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI