1234 ... 10
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

TransAmerica Trail -TAT

Ray Cecil
This post was updated on .
For official trip information, dates, roll call, etc go here:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/2021-RUNNING-OF-THE-BULLS-OK-TO-CO-td63432.html#a63441

Well, among many other items on the bucket list, riding the TAT coast to coast is probably the most realistic item for me to accomplish sooner rather than later.

For those unfamiliar, the TAT is a hodge podge of offroad and pavement routes from West Virginia to Idaho, with short "spurs" to the coasts. So you could ride coast to coast.

My first trip will be West Virginia to Oklahoma. 2nd trip Oklahoma to Oregon Coast. All by motorcycle.

Then, I want to outfit either a bullnose bronco, or the blue flareside to do it with Holly. She cannot ride motorcycles, she has ear problems and gets migraines very easily. So, i will need to put a lot of thought and work into this trip to get a bullnose ready. I will use this thread to share what ive learned from the motorcycle journey. I am sure to run into 4x4s along the way. So I am hoping to learn some things from them along the way.

Likely, I will build the Flareside, unless I can get into a bronco over the next two years. Bronco would be ideal, as it provides a sleeping area. Ive seen some cool tents you can install on the top of an suv, so you can keep the inside for storage.

Holly has to use the restroom 30 times a night. Lol, so I have to think about that. Sleeping in a bronco, in a truck bed, or on the ground would be better for her bladder.

Anyway, this will be a fun adventure, and I am sure to get all sorts of opinions. Please, no Nay sayers. Constructive criticism will be accepted as such, but anyone with a negative attitude toward this will be completely ignored.

First order of business is finding a partner to do the motorcycle part with me, 2nd is choosing the right bike for me. I have reached out to about a dozen close friends and family to see if anyone would be interested in the motorcycle journey. If anyone on here is up for the challenge.....let me know.

Ive owned a KLR650 and a DR650. No way am I going for the KLR again. Too heavy for the western sections. I am thinking DR650 as the heaviest option. However, a DRZ400 WR250 and similar size/weight is what I am thinking.

Also, Gary's place is VERY close to the Oklahoma section. I believe it goes directly between Skiatook and Bartlesville. Im thinking of starting the western half of the trip from there. I have family in Bartlesville, and Gary in Skiatook, so that to me is a perfect launch point. I can stop in and see everyone before heading out.

Your Thoughts guys?

Also, Maybe Gary would be into hosting a spring time Bullnose TAT convoy. Skiatook to Moab UT one day? Just a thought.

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: TransAmerica Trail -TAT

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sign me up - for the Bullnose portion!  And maybe as the chase truck for the motorcyle portion.

I think that sounds like a wonderful adventure.  And I'm serious.  Count me in.

One of the plans for Big Blue is a rooftop tent, so I'd have a place to sleep.  And with on-board air and plenty of carrying capacity I can bring the tools and parts.

But I haven't yet found a detailed on-line map for the OK portion.  Have you found one?  Can you post some links on here?

I know they can be purchased, and that's probably what I'd want to do for the trip, but for just looking things over I'd like to see the details.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
This post was updated on .
www.transamtrail.com

Gary, go to the official TransAm website.

They provide roll charts as well as GPS tracks for Garmin based systems.

The entire coast to coast trail is easily purchased. GPS tracks are sent via email, and you download them into your Garmin device. You might be able to do it on a phone, I need to research that.

Gary, I just got excited! Thanks for being willing to chase motorcycles. Knowing that, I will take you up on that offer. Having a chase vehicle opens up options for motorcycles, as they can carry less weight.

A heavier KLR650 or DR650 would be able to do the eastern half carrying its gear. But if I could run the 2nd western half without the gear, I could get the heavier bike....which is more comfortable. I still dont think Id take the KLR. If I could count on a chase truck, the DR650 I would definetly purchase.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Sounds like a great trip!  Sign me up to honk and wave as you go by on the GA portion.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Ray - I'm not committing to the whole coast-to-coast thing, but I can do part of it here in the middle of the US.  Maybe Arkansas to Utah?

What I'd like to do is to get my son to sign on to go with me/us, but I have no idea if he will.  Nor when he could.

And, I obviously need to get Big Blue whipped into shape, which isn't going to happen too soon.

But, I would like to see some maps, and I'm not willing to start buying them.  Nor do I have a Garmin device on which to load them.  I'm just looking for free maps to peruse so I can get my head around what we'd be in for.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ray just asked me in the background to share this - as apparently Androids can't do what iPhones can.

Note that at 1:33 there's an error in the statement as they apparently don't realize that a "proper vehicle" is a Bullnose.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I figured you couldnt go coast to coast. The eastern half (west virginia to the base of the rockies) is the easiest and less technical. So, a Bull Run from Skiatook to Moab would be just about right.

That is what I am thinking we could call it...the Great American Bull Run. Tulsa to Moab.

Yes, that video is just for inspiration, a proper 4x4 would for sure be a Bullnose, and even some Bricknoses!

I believe I met your son at the truck show one year. Would be great to give this a father son theme. I fear mine are too young and still too aggravating to one another to make it a good trip. I am not going to break up fights the whole way.

Im thinking Bullnoses and Bricknoses and motorcycles all at the same time would be awesome.

Participation in the event would require a set of bullhorns mounted to a grill, or front fairing of a bike. How funny would that be? Hahaha.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Dorsai wrote
Sounds like a great trip!  Sign me up to honk and wave as you go by on the GA portion.
Matthew, at least ride with us for a day!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gary Lewis wrote
But, I would like to see some maps, and I'm not willing to start buying them.  Nor do I have a Garmin device on which to load them.  I'm just looking for free maps to peruse so I can get my head around what we'd be in for.
Gary, I will take care of buying the maps.

Reply | Threaded
|

Shorty
Sign me up! This has been on my bucket list for a long time. Agree about the KLR650 weight. I'd be looking at a DR650 or XL650 as a replacement.
Some day...
“Find what you love and let it kill you.”
― Charles Bukowski

1980 F100 Custom, Big Six, bench and 3 on the tree. My bare bones play truck.
2012 VW TDI Sportwagen daily driver.

Dennis
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
That will be incredible!

The KLR is heavy, but a great machine. I had one. Aftermarket is huge. I like the DR650. My thought is the venerable Honda 650. Air cooled, good on the trails, lots of torque. The DR is good from what I hear, never rode one.

I believe you’re thinking is good on different parts of the country, will be tough to chose one bike. Lots of choices besides the ones mentioned. I also like the thought of a 400 or 250. I probably wouldn’t because there’s no replacement for displacement! Still true on these motors I think.

I learned to ride dirt bikes from an old off road racer, and the first time I really got the KLR off road and tried my tricks, nothing happened! I describe it as grabbing a hippo by the ears and trying to make it go where you want it to!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm going to enlist the help of Janey's cousin, Andrew Hitchings, who made it essentially around the world on his bike.  Here he is, on the left, with his brother.  His father probably took the pic.  I'm guessing he, and they, would be invaluable in planning such a trip.

And his caption on the pic on Facebook is:

It's hard to beat conquering a mountain pass with your big brother and old man.

Expedition Round the World and Back

@adventuremototouring @advrider @bmwmotorrad @bmwmotorradusa @bmwadvriders @bmwgsfans #makelifearide #bmwmotorrad #advrider #ridetheworld #slovenia #lovekg

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
This is gaining traction!

I feel so bad, a long time friend of mine was just talking to me about this. Just a minute ago on the phone. Hands free in his mercedes....i hope I wasnt distracting him...but he just ran into a Land Rover!! I think its destiny my buddy Cliff go on this trip...I mean...we all laugh at that Jay Leno video that a proper 4x4 is not a Land Rover....and as soon as we laugh about that my bud Cliff runs into one. It is an OMEN. Had to let him go real quick, but sounds like maybe a parking lot bump instead of a high speed collision.

Lets all be rootin for Cliff.

Also, yes the KLR is a hippo. I love the Ewing McGregor Charlie Boorman Long Way Round videos....but they were 90% out of their minds doing that journey on such big bikes. 1200GS is a great bike, but not in sand, mud, and Russian river crossings.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gary Lewis wrote
I'm going to enlist the help of Janey's cousin, Andrew Hitchings, who made it essentially around the world on his bike.  Here he is, on the left, with his brother.  His father probably took the pic.  I'm guessing he, and they, would be invaluable in planning such a trip.

And his caption on the pic on Facebook is:

It's hard to beat conquering a mountain pass with your big brother and old man.

Expedition Round the World and Back

@adventuremototouring @advrider @bmwmotorrad @bmwmotorradusa @bmwadvriders @bmwgsfans #makelifearide #bmwmotorrad #advrider #ridetheworld #slovenia #lovekg

Did these guys ride those bikes in the tough stuff? My lord...a KLR is cumbersome enough. Those GS bikes are BEASTS to pick up.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Go read about Andrew's round-the-world trip.  By himself.

Yes, they took those bikes in some pretty rough places.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
My hat is off to him. Im 6'4" tall and not very strong, so the idea of picking up a gs bike kills my enthusiasm.

Which brings me to a good point. I am also embarking on a strength training schedule to gain strength for these trips.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I tried to watch Long Way Around, but there were kids in the house when I tried. McGregor and Boorman think the f word is an adjective!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
grumpin wrote
I tried to watch Long Way Around, but there were kids in the house when I tried. McGregor and Boorman think the f word is an adjective!
Yeah...maybe not the best thing to watch round the youngin's. But those guys sure enjoyed themselves, heavy GS bikes or not, they sure had the time of their lives getting them out of some deep mud and sand...

I think the power those bikes have can compensate for some aspects of some of the technical type riding. Its just the price tag on them is too rich for my blood. If I paid $15,000+ for a motorcycle, I couldn't take it off road. My choice is a $2500-$5000 dual sport that I can throw away when done...lol.

I learned something several years ago after starting to ride. Someone said it somewhere, maybe on ADVrider.net, "Id rather ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." I honestly can say that I agree with that statement. Low HP high torque single cylinder motorcycles share an attitude with the 300 I6. That slow yet strong, enjoy the ride, minimalistic type attitude is what I like.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
One of my favorite bikes was an XL350.  It wasn't fast, but the torque was like a tractor.  Loved it, despite the vibes the single gave.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gary Lewis wrote
One of my favorite bikes was an XL350.  It wasn't fast, but the torque was like a tractor.  Loved it, despite the vibes the single gave.
That shows your age Gary...when did they stop making those? Before I was born I believe. lol

Anyway, I have drummed up some interest in the motorcycle portion of this trip. Cliff seemed interested before he decided to smash a Land Rover...he's okay by the way. Minor rear-ender. Sheww that was close.
Also, I have a bud that I used to work with at Remington Arms, Chod (not Chad, Chod), who has expressed interest in a short trip this year, and maybe a longer one next year. I think if I can get out with Chod this year on a new to me bike, I can do some shake down tests for gear and comfort mods. He is up in Ohio, so not sure what our plans are yet, if they ever will fruit, but maybe him and I could do Jellico, or maybe West Virginia...I think he said he is up near Dayton or Columbus....maybe I can get Chod on this forum to join in the planning.

And I have another bud, Matt, who said "I'll look into it." We work together, and I have been eggin him on for awhile now to go do something epic with me. Maybe I can get him along. Chod has a few bikes, Matt doesn't have one currently. Last I checked, Chod had a XR650L, and a V-Strom...I think he said he had a cruiser too, but its been a little while since we talked about it.

1234 ... 10