classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Trans tunnel covers

fryntrz
This post was updated on .

I’m getting ready to cut the hole for my TKO 5spd swap in my 2wd auto stamped floor.  I’d like to cut the cab floor for a trans cover, and then cut my hole as needed in that cover.  On preliminary measurements, nothing stock for offered M/T will be close to what I need with the shifter location I’m choosing to go with.  Can anyone confirm the part number for a 2wd auto removable tunnel cover - is it ‘88 E8TZ-1512110-B?  Any other options in the later years?

Bryan
1985 F-150 2wd frame off restomod underway, 460ci/TKO600 swapped
Instagram: @fryntrz
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Trans tunnel covers

Frogger2662
I cannot help you with part numbers. But I installed aT5 with a S10 location shifter. I had a manual tunnel cover that had been butchered. Welded in some sheet metal and did not have to touch the cab.20240212_132936.jpg
1984 F150 Flareside
1992 stock 5.0 with edelbrock 4 barrel.
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by fryntrz
In 1988, some of the transmissions became taller (E4OD, M5OD, ZF5), and the 4x4 shifters moved to the side of the trans tunnel. So essentially, an automatic 4x2 cover and an automatic 4x4 cover are the same. Keep in mind that the covers are physically taller than the 80-86 covers, but they mount the same way.

The automatic trucks that will likely have a taller cover are the ones with an E4OD transmission. My 1990 F350 Regular Cab came with a C6 and had no removable cover. I suspect the AOD trucks may not have a cover either, but I don't have experience in that and may be wrong. The bigger cabs like Super and Crew may have different rules as well and could even have a removable cover with a C6 or AOD.
Reply | Threaded
|

fryntrz
Perfect, that’s a start.  I figured the covers would be taller but that should be tolerable if that’s the only option for a plain bolt in auto cover.  
Bryan
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I know Darth's was pretty tall to begin with. Even though he was a 460/C6 from the factory, he still had a tall removable cover.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
the only thing i can say on this is that the cabs have the stamped outline which all bolt on covers mount in the same position. it seems that your shifter position for a t56 I think looks further back and may cross the stamped outline. if this is the case then skip getting a bolt in floor tunnel and just cut where it's needed and use a shifter boot. I'm guessing you are doing buckets also. as a bench will interfere.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
85lebaront2 wrote
I know Darth's was pretty tall to begin with. Even though he was a 460/C6 from the factory, he still had a tall removable cover.
I think I remember reading somewhere that Crew Cabs all had removable covers. Not 100% sure, but it would explain why yours has one.

And I don't know what that means for Supercabs.

So essentially, OP will just need to hit the junkyard and pull up the carpet on all the trucks that don't have a lever sticking out of the inspection cover.

Reply | Threaded
|

fryntrz
Chasing the crew cab cover helps too.  No yards nearby so this will be a part number search or a WTB hunt.

That red shifter plate will be flipped 180* towards the front, and should bring the bottom cut of the boot hole along the edge of the cover, with just enough meat left.  I’d still like to one-and-done the cut for a complete tunnel cover with future access or inspection as needed since the interior and exterior will be finished with new paint.  
Bryan
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
If you want to check with Pete's used auto parts in Newport News VA he had a number of crew cabs in there.

Phone (757) 599-1200, if you can get Donnie on the phone tell him Bill Vose referred you.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
The bigger cabs like Super and Crew may have different rules as well and could even have a removable cover with a C6 or AOD.
Big Bro (crew cab) has manual T18, this picture seems to show a big floor plate.
But I dot know if it is larger than a regular cab…

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I have one that I am working on where I did a v6 to v8 swap. also, three on the column to 4 on the floor. I used a tunnel cover from the same 87 that I got the 4 speed from. I can measure a couple things from this if it helps you. I cut the floor opening as closely to the donor as I could and on this one the shifter is very forward. it should be accessible to measure from the block back to see how far the seam is.
Reply | Threaded
|

fryntrz
Thanks.  I’ll reach out to you if I’m stuck.  The shifter for this is going to end up near centre at the tail of the cover, so likely a unique cut.
Bryan
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The Zf and E4OD covers slope straight back, instead of having a crease in them like Bill shows.

Every cab floor I've seen has the same cutout.

Like Shaun said, later 4x4 trucks have the transfer case lever on the side of the tunnel.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.