Trans cooler lines routing

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Trans cooler lines routing

Tarheel Blue
I will not be buying prebent lines from any of the multitude of sources. Please don’t suggest that as a solution. I will be making my own lines. That’s just how I roll.

Going from the trans to the radiator, on through the Hayden aux cooler, back through the radiator and then back to the trans.

I’m hoping that someone can provide me with pics of the two lines from the trans up towards the core support. Do the stock lines run over the top of the front crossmember? Below? Are they tucked in close between the starter and the oil pan?
How did the factory run them? Where were they supported/ secured along the route?

Thanks in advance for pics.

Cheers,
Kurt
Kurt K
'85 XLT Lariat, 4.9L, NP435, 3.08LS, DSII, 130a 3G, PMGR, '87 MC, P235/R75
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Trans cooler lines routing

mat in tn
I don't have pics but they run past the starter then bend inward toward the oil pan then along the gasket line over the center frame . on windsors they get tethered by a strap which bolts to the same anchor bolt that should be used as the block ground. a duplex bolt with 7/16" thread going into the block with a 3/8"stud remains for the cooler line strap . keep them reasonably high past the starter to keep starter removal access
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
which transmission are you using?
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Thanks Matt,
Installing a 4r70w behind a 300

So, between the starter and the exhaust? And over the front crossmember? I’m assuming by that they run under the motor mounts?
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
on the 4.9 yes, I do have one that I could get you a picture of. I just did this on mine about September 2023. I removed a c6.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
That would be very helpful
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I see that you are in apex. about a hundred miles from me. I was through there two weeks ago going to and from the coast. I've been there a few times now. once to buy a transmission actually last year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Yup, in Apex. Dave (FuzzFace2) and I need to make a run out your way sometime to see your shop and also run by that place in Denton that supposedly has a huge collection of F series trucks and parts.

Hopefully you’re able to load a couple of pics for me.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I kind of refer to it as Chernobyl. it's a defunct mobile home factory and we get asked often if it's a real shop. from the outside it isn't much. and the landlord is clearing areas off, so he is burying our entry with leftover bldgs and equipment. I do not know how long we will continue there. but its working for now.
Reply | Threaded
|

essmaker
Not sure if this helps or not. The lines are bolted with a hanger at the front of the motor

Erik

1985 F150 4x4 - 351W, C6 - work in progress
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Yes Sir!
Those pics are a tremendous help as I now see that they nestle into that triangle of space between the motor mount, engine block and over the front crossmember.
Now I can start working out the bends necessary to get from the trans outlet/ inlet locations while staying as far away as possible from the Y-pipe exhaust.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Thanks for these, especially the first one as it shows the lines tucked under the starter. Prior to seeing that, I was inclined to try and go over the top of the starter.
Something I’ll have to think more about.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
this trans core was sourced from a v8 and I was able to use the v8 lines also.