Trailer Tow Package Identification (Without Marti?)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Trailer Tow Package Identification (Without Marti?)

OlBlue
Greetings all,

Hoping to find some answers regarding the Trailer Tow/Camper package. Specifically, how can I tell?

I have "low mount" mirrors, in that I have the style that seems most common on bullnoses (two post, one high one low, swinging) but not the "low mount" four post ones. I don't have an engine oil cooler or transmission cooler but it's a 460 w/ manual so as best I can tell (from here: https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-td62424|a62626 ) it shouldn't.

Also existing on the truck: 4.10 gears, full gauge suite (tach, amps, oil pressure, etc), something that sure looks like the original factory 7 pin trailer "wiring harness" but could well not be, sway bars front and rear. It's got a pretty big radiator and A/C - I'd hazard a guess it was the biggest option but I could be wrong.  

However: the spring code on the door tag is simply " 7 K" which suggests to me that there are no spring options and therefore it is unlikely to have the "handling package," which in turn precludes the tow package.

Any help from those wiser than I in these matters would be much appreciated. I'd rather not cough up the money and time for a Marti report but could be persuaded to.
Thanks,
Ethan
Blue: 1986 F-250HD, 460, ZF-5, 4WD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Trailer Tow Package Identification (Without Marti?)

85lebaront2
Administrator
Easiest way is to look for (a) brake controller hook up wiring (b) extra wiring, hopefully not cut, left rear of the frame for a trailer connector, it may have two plugs that the Ford provided proprietary socket would plug into.

The specific wiring and locations are in the EVTMs and both 1985 and 1986 ones are in the documentation area.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Trailer Tow Package Identification (Without Marti?)

OlBlue
Bill,

Thanks for the advice. Looking at the 86 EVTM for the Trailer Option, I have the "Trailer Relay" but not the junction block. Instead they all run directly in to the main loom through the firewall.

Also, looking closer, even the 460s are supposed to get the "43H" engine oil cooler.

I guess that's that.

Thanks very much for your help.
Blue: 1986 F-250HD, 460, ZF-5, 4WD