classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Totally Stainless

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I know that Brandon mentioned his appreciation for both the customer support and the products of Totally Stainless.  And I'd contacted them about goodies for the upcoming show and got a good response.  But, until yesterday I hadn't perused their catalog.  Wow!  152 pages, with lots of good stuff on each page.

Here are a couple of the kits shown, which include our trucks:

BODY KITS - Body kits include component kits for Battery Box, Starter Solenoid, & Relay, Bed Mount, Front Body Mount, Front Bumper(polished Carriage), Cowl Cover, Door Hinge, Door Jambs, Front & Inner Fender(does both), Gas Pedal, Grill, Hood Hinges, Hood Latch, Interior, Master Cylinder, Radiator Support, and Seat(for bench seats). Body Kits with Styleside Beds also include component kits for Bed Mounts, Tailgate, and Tail Lights.

ENGINE KITS - Every engine kit includes component kits for the Distributor, Fuel Pump, Intake, Oil Pan, Thermostat, Timing Chain Housing, Valve Covers, and Water Pump. Over 132 pieces and available in 5 to 6 different bolt styles!

And they have individual components available, including SAE and metric: Carriage bolts, in both standard, oval, and curved styles; plugs; studs; specialty square nuts; clamps; air cleaner nuts; studs; and even door striker bolts - although maybe not for ours yet.

I'm not pushing this company, and certainly don't have stock in them.  But they apparently have good products as well as good customer service.  And with the very wide range of products they carry they may be just the resource some of us need.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Totally Stainless

85lebaront2
Administrator
Looks interesting, of course nothing for a K-car or the 2.2-2.5L engines, but I can go through the individual items and find a lot of it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, even if they don't have a kit for something they probably have the individual fasteners.  Cool!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
I believe they have full accessory kits too. I was considering one of those.
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
They do have some kits, although I'm not sure exactly what they have.

Which leads me to a discussion of a long conversation I had yesterday with their machinist, Bernie.  He called to work with me on my needs for Big Blue as they don't have a kit for the EFI 460's.  In fact, I don't think they were aware that there are differences in the normally-aspirated 460's and the EFI'd 460's.

In the course of the conversation Bernie let me know quite a bit about the company.  Apparently he and the company founder were working together on another job and the other guy was working on a VW.  He wanted some stainless fasteners for it, so Bernie made them.  Others also wanted them so they started selling them.  Then the other guy started finding other people with other vehicles and the company was born.

They kept expanding their offerings by taking vehicles apart and measuring things.  And along the way they started buying in the more common fasteners and making up the kits.  But, many of the things, like the knurled air cleaner nuts, are still made by Bernie on the old South Bend manual lathe.

Unfortunately the founder of the company passed away about 18 months ago, so now it is his wife, his daughter, and Bernie.  And I think I see a way to help them by our expertise in Ford trucks, and especially the Bullnose trucks.  So I've started liaising with them on the EFI 460 fasteners as they would like to have kits for it.

Given that, would you folks take a look at their catalog and see what might be missing for our trucks?  I already know they don't have the door striker bolt as ours first appeared in 1980 (thanks to the 1982 MPC).  What about bed kits for the Flaresides?  Is there interest in those?

Anyway, I think we could help them help us.  What do y'all think?

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
The accessory kit is $130. I may just buy one because these are certainly some of the most visible pieces on our motors.
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Would sure look good.

Do you have that engine running yet?

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
I bought the wife a Baby Grand Piano. We got it from her work Saeid Music. They wanted to do a social media commercial for the delivery and set up here at the house. I was waiting on Totally Stainless to ship the correct bolts for the front cover and water pump because there was confusion with the original order. So meanwhile while they were shipping them I had to spruce the yard and house up for the commercial that was filmed today. I should be back at it this weekend. It is time to drop in lifters and mount the heads. I will have to assemble a couple of valves in order to be sure the pushrod geometry is correct. Should it be then I will be off to the races on finishing the assembly to drop it back home in Jr.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll watch for the commercial.  Good luck on the valve geometry.  

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Glad this thread exists :)

Getting my truck painted and have been contemplating going with the full styleside body/bed kit.

I really wish they had the indented hex heads as I am not sure how good plain hex heads will look.
They do have the button head bolts but also not sure on that look.

I spoke to a lady there today (very helpful) and was told that the bolts were equivalent to grade 2 (I believe this is standard for common stainless besides arp stuff). I figure that will work just fine for most things but I did have some concern for the hood hinges, door jambs, and tailgates hinge bolts. I know the tailgate hinge bolts are a 9.8 (~grade 5). Not sure if there would be any concern there with downgrading the strength.

I've put a lot of thought into this the past couple of days as it's a fair chunk of change for arguably, aesthetics. Would be glad to hear any thoughts/opinions.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Did you ask if they had harder stainless?  The guy I spoke to said they did, but it may not be for the applications you are speaking of.

I wouldn't think a G5 is needed for the tailgate unless you are trying to contain stuff that's rolling around in the bed.  But I'm not sure I think that's a good idea for door hinges or latches.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I asked if the kit contained any hard grades in it but didn't think to ask if they could be swapped in. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by kramttocs
kramttocs wrote
I know the tailgate hinge bolts are a 9.8 (~grade 5). Not sure if there would be any concern there with downgrading the strength.
I personally would have no issue with lower grade bolts for the tailgate. Now, if you said you wanted to use lower grade bolts for suspension or steering components, then no...of course you wouldn't want to, but for a tailgate, sure, why not. Others may disagree, but that's my 2 cents.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by kramttocs
kramttocs wrote
...the bolts were equivalent to grade 2 (I believe this is standard for common stainless besides arp stuff).
Ford recommends nothing lower than Gr.5 anywhere on its vehicles.  But factory fasteners are significantly stronger than Gr.5.  I don't even like going that low.  What good is a shiny bolt if it breaks or strips?
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Agreed. I am a big fan of overkill so purposefully going down in terms of strength (whether the strength is needed or not) doesn't sit well. I will give them a call again to see if there are any other options. Otherwise I will likely visit a local shop and only buy stainless (in higher grades) for the locations that are readily seen like hood hinges.
Scott