classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
68 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tool Trailer for Handyman Service

Ray Cecil
FuzzFace2 wrote
I was thinking if just starting out on this new "path" why spend the money on EFI when you have a working carb and for what return?
Same with the trucks, was looking at what "I" think would work best and why.
You doing dump runs with this trailer or is the junk being thrown in the bed of the truck for the dump run?

Sometimes someone will see something and a light bulb will go off and say "why did I not think of that"
Dave ----
Dave, I sincerely appreciate your advice and input. Especially since you offer it open minded, and not condecendingly.

Im not a practical guy. I do things cause I wanna. Not cause it makes sense, but because I enjoy it. But I wouldnt post on here if I didnt want advice. So, thank you.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Ray Cecil wrote
Im not a practical guy. I do things cause I wanna.
Ray, we used to joke about the German engineers (when discussing VW issues).

"They do things because they can, not because they should".

I'm not much help, I know, but good luck with the project. I'll be watching along.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I am part german....
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
I do a lot of handyman work.

If I had to use a trailer I'd probably get a front end hit, single wheel utility body pickup and make a trailer out of that. (As long as the flat part of the bed was 50" wide)
*Plenty of locking tool storage.
*Accessable from the outside.
*No need to try and stuff sheet goods into a closed space.
*Etc, ad infinitum..

I don't know if a Flareside could tow that. (remember, you need the brakes to stop it too)

But I sure as heck wouldn't want a 10-12' single axle enclosed trailer for what I do.

I'd definitely buy a upfitted beater white van before I did that (and struggle with sheet goods)
But you won't consider that option, so.....

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I cant count how many times Ive needed an enclosed trailer. Ill start with a 10 or 12 footer. If it proves to be cumbersome, Ill consider something else. I do like Jim's idea of a utility truck back half.

My goal is to make the most money doing the lightest work possible.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I contacted Fitech. They confirmed that the primary and secondary valves open at the same time, 1:1.

So a dual port Offy would deliver air/fuel through both ports full time.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I should probably figure out how the idle air works. If the primary and secondary valves meter idle air, or if its metered around them.  This might make a difference....

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Fuel injection systems usually have an idle air controller (IAC) that bleeds air around the throttle.  The computer pulses the IAC to keep the engine idling at the preset RPM, despite the A/C system coming on, the tranny going in gear, the power steering pump requiring power, etc.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Yup.

I was wondering if the idle air bleed would make it into both ports, or just one. It might not matter either way.

Having all valves open on the main TB would effectively make the Offy work like a single plane.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Don't think it'll matter.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I hear you have to look at the total area of the ports between the 2 manifold models.
The DP one has to have less, read smaller ports / less area, because of the divider in the runners.
So the DP will not flow as much with the smaller ports.

Now this can be a good thing or bad thing.
Bad, is it can choke the motor as it cant pull enough air into the motor.
Good, because the air flow is high the fuel will not drop out of the air and pool on the floor of the intake.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Ray

I am seeing a lot of things here about upgrading the power train. I have seen one comment that touched on brakes very lightly and another that touched very lightly on tires.

My Bronco was ordered from the factory with the factory trailer package, so read into that larger front and rear brakes, heaver rear springs, larger radiator, bigger alt, trans cooler. larger and bigger capacity tires (30x9.50 r15) and a brake controller and class 3 receiver hitch. Whom ever ordered this Bronco had it down great until they ordered it with 3.08 gears, they kinda blew it there.

Towing a trailer that is going to weight anywhere from 1500 to 3000 lbs more then the pickup already does is going to need more brakes and tires to handle the extra weight. Having the extra power to pull the trailer is worthless if you cant stop it. On to the tires, same thing, if the tires have to soft of a side wall and are not some where in the weight range of a 6 ply tire, it could cause what is called sidewall washout. That is where the reared of the pickup starts to start to un controably sway from side to side and you end up on your roof in the bar ditch.

Just some more food for thought while you are pondering everything else that is on your plate from starting up your business.

Steve
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Ray Cecil wrote
My goal is to make the most money doing the lightest work possible.

I would also vote for a van or truck with a walk-in shell. Something ready to go right now that you can slap a logo/phone number on the sides.
I'd be afraid of that one time you need a little more room so you throw something in the back of the Ford and then it just escalates from there.
Don't get me wrong, there is a landscaping business in town where the guy uses a really nice 80's Chevy to pull his mowing trailer and while he'd probably be the first one I'd call if I can't do the work myself, I also always wonder if he's ever caught it with a rock or some other occupational hazard.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I hit my truck with rocks evertime I pull down the drive. Im not worried about scratching or denting. Its already torn up. It has that cool patina look now.

As far as brakes go, e-brakes on the trailer. Problem solved.

Im not sure about the BFG 32" mud terrain for towing. I might need to think about that, or look up their rating.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
E-brakes are good.  But read up and ask around about the brake controller for the truck.  There are several kinds.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Where are you at with your log carrying trailer?

I'd be WAY more worried about the weight of that one than some aluminum box with a bunch of tools in it.
And I have E-rated tires, a -literal- ton of weight in the bed, and a tow package that includes beefy f&r sway bars, big brakes and helper springs.

I've had bad loads (not mine) try to wag the dog before.  ðŸ˜²
I don't offer help to anyone any more.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
The logging trailer is at a stand still. Ive been out of town working during the week. Weekends are full of kids, wife, and taking care of the property. Once I get back from out of town I will have more time. Ive got a big financial incentive to be going out of town, or I would not be doing it.

As far as the tool trailer goes, Ive got a line on a co-workers dads used 12'. Side door. Rear ramp. Single axle. Has shelves.

I anticipate being booked up for weeks eventually. So that will allow me to subtract tools that arent needed for a few days. So, I wont be hauling around 5000lbs of tools all the time. And I wont be getting on the interstate.

After thinking about it, I need an enclosed trailer with rear ramp so I can roll things in there like a powerwasher, air compressor, lawn mower, gravely bush hog, rented equipment etc. No way I can get some of that stuff up into a cargo van, or a utility truck. If I need to buy lumber longer than 12', I have the 16' car hauler already.

The blue truck will get suspension and fuel injection upgrades. Maybe tires if the 32s are squirely. If it becomes obvious I need a bigger truck then I will get one.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ray Cecil wrote
......My goal is to make the most money doing the lightest work possible.
Ray Cecil wrote
..... After thinking about it, I need an enclosed trailer with rear ramp so I can roll things in there like a powerwasher, air compressor, lawn mower, gravely bush hog, rented equipment etc.
Somehow, the two of these seem mutually exclusive.

I'm not sure what the going labor rate is in KY, but around here you and the family would have to be living in that 12' trailer to make ends meet.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I live in a trailer Jim. So...got that covered.

It helps to have only a mortgage, and a wife that works.

I stuggled in my 20's to bring home $2000 a month. Now, my income plus the wife's we bring home $9000 and are still living mostly like we did in our 20's. Actually, we had a house in our 20s, now we live in a trailer.

The goal is to do this work that makes the bank long enough so I can get debt free. Then I can do what I love to do and not worry about the big dollars.

If my plan falls apart, I will sell everything and start over.

Not affraid to fail anymore.

I dont consider grass cutting, bush hoggin, powerwashing to be heavy work. That is light work in my experience.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I always thought of brush hogging and anything behind a Gravely hard work.

I'd rather shovel rocks with a pitchfork all day than spend a few hours behind one of those.

I'm glad you have a great wife and your finances together.

Good luck in your new venture!  
 Jim,