9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tips & Techniques: Cleaning & Prepping parts

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
From dish soap to a laser rust removal system.
Electrolysis to case hardening.
Stripping, media blasting.....
Whatever you do to a part before you assemble it into the truck.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tips & Techniques: Cleaning & Prepping parts

Ray Cecil
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Forget about the parts for a second. What if the whole truck is made out of rust? Asking for a friend.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sometimes, just like man's best friend, the right thing to do is put them down.  šŸ˜”
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
From dish soap to a laser rust removal system.
Electrolysis to case hardening.
Stripping, media blasting.....
I have used dish soap for dusty parts like door & kick panels but for greasy parts in my parts cleaner Zep Purple industrial degreaser. I have also been known to use old gas to degrease a motor & trany.

For rust I have used Electrolysis in a 5 gal. bucket as a test then moved to a home built pool on large parts, fenders & hoods and it worked pretty good on rust & removing paint.

Paint stripping & rust removal on panels I use stripping pads from Eastwood, gray pads work the best.

I have also soaked smaller rusty parts in Evap-O-Rust and it does ok.

No blasting or case hardening here.
Electrolysis pool with fender & bumper backets.

Eastwood pad on an air grinder, 3/4 of hood done.

Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry that I'm late to the party, but I use a Graymills parts washer for cleaning parts.  It is made to use Simple Green, but since it heats the solution you really don't want to use the scented stuff as it'll run you out of the shop.

When I first got the washer I did try the evergreen Simple Green and got lots of complaints from the other family members as the washer was in the attached garage.  So I called Simple Green and talked to the owner and told him what I had and what I was doing.  He suggested using Simple Green Crystal that doesn't have the scent, and not to take the temp over 130 degrees.  So that's what I use.

However, the filtration system took a bit of learning as well.  There's a coarse screen to prevent tools or small parts from falling in, then there's a fine screen to catch stand, gravel, etc.  And then there's a string filter like used for water systems.

Originally it used short string filters, but those were hard to find so I upgraded to a 10" filter.  And I thought that something like a 2 micron filter would be good, but soon discovered that it plugged pretty quickly.  So over the course of several years I've gradually gone to less and less fine filters and have now arrived at 50 micron units, which work pretty well and last for many uses.

How does it work?  Very well!  I've probably only had to replace the Simple Green three or four times in the maybe 15 years I've had it.  But with the stuff up to temp it'll cut through grease and oil very well, although I do use brushes to clean things.  And when the part is clean you can rinse the part in hot water and dry it with a towel.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Neat antique Alabama tag to the left of the parts washer, Gary!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I thought about mentioning it, but decided Iā€™d wait and see if you spotted it. šŸ˜‰
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
I am always on the look-out for license plates and hub caps!