classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
90 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Thoughts on a heavy hauler...

Ford F834
Administrator
Folks, up front this thread has scope creep beyond Bullnoses, but I think some members here may still be able to help. In July 2018 I bought a place out in Golden Valley, and for 1-1/2 years all of our household water has arrived 275 gallons at a time like this:

This works okay, but takes up far too much of my time especially in summer. I need to be able to haul more at once. So I bought a 1,050 gallon fiberglass haul tank:

The plan was to put this on a 14’ tandem axle Big Tex trailer that I own. (Yes, I know all of this is beyond legal GVWR limits, but this is rural use, not highway). This would work, but would require me to switch the diesel T19 for a granny 1st NP435 in my ‘81 and add a stronger receiver hitch to the frame instead of the ball on the stock bumper. The trailer also needs tires...

So before I sink $ into this set up, I started thinking about the trucks I own, and the way I intend to use them. Trailering is a pain, and access to our cistern isn’t good. Water hauling is a daily thing, and isn’t going away. I really would prefer a truck that can handle the 1,050 gallon tank without trailering. Again, I am talking practical ability at 40 mph on a rural county road, not legal GVWR. You would not believe what I see going down the roads out here... there is still a tinge of the Wild West!

I am not in a huge hurry, but I’ve started eying some options. Heavy trucks are outside of my knowledge area, which is where I could use some help. I welcome any thoughts, comments and suggestions. Obviously I prefer Ford, and having something in the Bullnose/Bricknose/OBS era would help in terms of spare parts... but I’m open to anything that would do the job well.

I see some older 50’s, 60’s & 70’s F600’s that are advertised as 2 or 2.5 ton (mostly dump bed) trucks. My concerns are parts availability and brakes that work about like opening the door and dragging your foot:

1980+ F600/F700 are few and far between, often expensive, and typically have a monstrous bed that isn’t versatile:

1988-1997 F450 Superduty is attractive because it shares parts with my F350 build. They could even be Bullnose’d if I were so inclined. I have read that owners have hauled 8,000 lbs with them, but that they are s-l-o-w. Weight rating wise these are not much above a 1-ton F350, but the frame, axles and springs absolutely dwarf my F350 equipment. The down side is availability, and they were sold as CnC’s so they have odd or no bed when you find them:

One thought I had was how hard it would be to convert a F450 to 4x4. The answer I got is that most people just put F350 8-lug axles in. 10 lug exist but are not something you are going to just find around. So that brings me full circle back to why not just a F350 DRW then? And no, it’s too late to consider DRW on my crew cab. The frame is chopped for the short bed and the haul tank is 9’ long. It won’t even fit a standard bed with the tailgate up. It would be centered over the rear axle, which is probably less desirable than a F450-up, but would certainly open up more options.

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Thoughts on a heavy hauler...

FuzzFace2
1 thing to worry or think about on the larger trucks is to keep is below the 26,000 weight limit unless you have a CDL.

Then you get into what endorsements you would need on the CDL for the tank.
I forget what the limit is but might be 1000 gallons+. Now if I under stand it (could be wrong too) if you did 2 or more 500 gallon tanks you are ok but DOT is looking into maybe changing this because beverage truck have more than 1000 gallons but it is all in smaller bottles.

The other is air brake endorsement for the truck and now if you don't have a CDL is the endorsement for a auto (can only drive auto trucks) or stick (can drive stick or auto).

So with that out of the way and if you are worried the F500+ trucks may be out of the question because of the 26,000 weight CDL thing but that is what I would go with if I could.
You could then go with bigger tank(s) (if not worried on the CDL) so less trips.

I like the looks of the older large trucks but you are right on the "getting parts" thing.
You brought up brakes for parts, don't know how hard it may be to get.
Then you have wheels & tires. Older truck use split rims (wheels) and a lot of shops will not touch them so need to check that part out. Then you have tire size I hear some sizes could be hard to come by.

Can a F450 / F550 truck carry the tank(s) with out over weighting the trucks? To me they look like rebadged F350's and don't know if they can carry the extra weight but that's me.

On the CC trucks with out a bed I don't think it would matter as long as the rear wheels were covered, only need mudd flaps (look at 18 wheel tractors without a trailer) but small fenders over the wheels would keep a lot of wheel spray off everything.

Don't know if I helped or hurt?
Good luck
Dave ----

ps you may want to check out here to see what is posted on large trucks. I don't look in this area but may help you https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum232/
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thanks Dave,
I definitely want to stay below the 26K limit for CDL operators license. Many of the 80’s era F600 and F700 trucks do not have air brakes and can be operated by the average Joe.

The F450’s are odd. The trucks themselves tend to be so heavy (especially with the utility beds and other add-on’s) that the pay load is less than a ton according to the sticker. Make no mistake though, the frame, springs and axles are massive compared to the lower F series. They are in a whole different class. They are extremely heavy duty. The diesels have higher GVWR because of the torque rating. From what owners have posted online, carrying the 8,000 lbs isn’t a problem except for engine power.

Regarding DOT regulations, I already mentioned that I will not be taking this on the highway. The stand pipe where I get my water is only about 2 miles from my house. Estrella Rd has a 45 mph speed limit. Mohave county sheriff deputies do patrol our area, but I have never seen them stop a water hauler. Most of the water-haul home owners are not well off, and most of what you see are ridiculously overloaded trucks and home brew trailers swaying and squirming down the road. I am not saying it’s right, but this is life in Golden Valley. I will not be the only one managing a 1,000 gallon tank. 500 gallons is far more common, but there are others with large tanks or a gang of the “basket” tanks totaling 1,000+ gallons.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
A good friend had a 1970 F600 dump truck, damn thing had an HD 300 in it (huge 3 bolt exhaust pipe) velocity governor under the Carter hand choke YF. Breaker points of course. Truck had started life as a city waste water work truck and had a crew box behind the cab. He said it would only due 45 mph and figured it was governed that way. Crew box was removed and the metal used to extend the dump bed to the cab back. He would loan it to our BSA camp for the summer with the proviso that I would fix anything that got broken. First thing I did was look at the carburetor/governor, found it was only getting 3/4 throttle. After that was fixed I received a phone call from the owner, he said he thought he saw his dump truck pass his house and go airborne over the bridge. Damn thing would peg the 70 mph speedometer! It had vacuum assist hydraulic drum brakes and manual steering and we hauled all kinds of loads in it. I used to pick it up Friday afternoon for a weekend work session and bring it back Sunday afternoon with a mostly full tank of gas from the camp.

If you can find something like that, strip it to the frame, put a flat deck on it and haul your 1000 gals of water.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
You're looking at over 8,000# in water alone and with no baffles in the tank you need WAY more than that to keep from ending up on your side (or worse)
How much does the tank and flatbed to mount it weigh?
At least 4 1/2 ton at that point!

I think a 550 MIGHT be able to do it, but you're not going to have a good time over ruts or in turns.
And without air brakes it's going to be even more dangerous.
350-450 fuggetaboutit....

Dave drives propane so he is definitely the authority.
That's just my 2c
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Thank you Bill! I was going to check out a ‘77 F600 but it was a 3 hour drive from me and it sold before I could arrange the trip. It had a 360 V8 though... and I would vastly prefer a 300HD. I may check out the ‘59 F600 pictured above, as it is local. I don’t know what power plant it has.

Did you happen to drive the ‘70 F600? Wondering how the brakes worked. My dad used to have a 50’s 2-1/2 ton Chevy and he said it was pretty scary in town... it’s older than what we are discussing but not by that much. I had an unfortunate run-in with a wild burro last fall, and black cows in the road at night are a big problem here, so brake effectiveness does worry me.

And yes, that’s me circa 3 years old figuring out a screw driver!

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
The 9th gen F-Superduties came with a max GVWR up to 16,000 lbs from what I see.  That's 6,000 more than an F-350.  And sure, the chassis will be a lot heavier.  But my crew cab F-250HD weighs about 6,000 lbs.  Lose the extra glass and sheet metal of the crew cab and the bed and add the F-Superduty muscle and you're at maybe 8,000 lbs?  1000 gallons of water might be over its rating, but not by an awful lot.

And baffles in the tank would really only help if the tank isn't full.  When it is full there's not much room for the water to move.  I'd still be really careful with it, at least until I got some experience.  But it doesn't sound undoable.

That said, an F-Superduty seems like the absolute minimum I'd go with.  As hinted above, I'd be tempted to not have any more bed than was needed to hold the tank.  A bigger truck would be better, but if it was much older you'd have to want it as a project that would need to be (mostly) completed before you could use it.

On the front drive axle, do you need one?  You'd have a lot of weight on those drive tires when the tank is full.  Could you get by with good tires and maybe a locker?
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Jim, if the tank were not full then I would agree, water movement would be dangerous. But when completely full the water can’t move much. I’ve hauled a half-full tank and it’s a sketchy thing, while a full one feels like nothing at all. I see plenty of these tanks, as well as 1,000 gallon horizontal and even vertical tanks going down the road on trailers. The center of gravity is lower, but the stability seems less with tandem axles than dual wheels. My route is paved except for the last 1/4 mile which is a nicely graveled section line road. No overlanding to our parcel. I’m not trying to discount the gravity of your warning... this is one reason I opened the topic for discussion. 4 tons of water is a load to be taken seriously. I am hearing that a F600 is probably the ticket, but I do wonder how much more beef the older ones have compared to the F450 Superduty CnC’s?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Thanks for the thoughts... I don’t have a front axle and it wouldn’t be a requirement for water hauling. The only time might be in the aftermath of our periodic flash floods where up to 2’ of sand and rock debris washes over the roads. But the mess is usually cleared within a day. The desire to 4x4 convert it would be more for general versatility, but I will have my F350 for that. The truck ~can be somewhat of a project, since I do have the current 275 gallon at a time method, and the trailer... but I wouldn’t want it to be a very large project like my crew cab. The whole point is to be able to use it fairly soon. As you can see from my examples, I can’t expect perfection in that price range. I expect at the minimum to need tires, brakes and common wear items which will about double the price of most.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I drove it a lot, to and from NE Suffolk VA to our BSA camp on the James River outside of Surry VA, probably 45-50 miles each way, then all over the camp on work weekends. Never had a problem with the brakes even loaded. It wasn't a fast accelerator, but would definitely carry a load.

The 58 or whatever (58-60) had quad headlights, 57 was single, engines, 223 6 was basic, then the bigger 6 was 262 (which doesn't seem to have been available until 1961). V8s, 292, possibly a 272, big engines would be a 302 or possibly a 317 or 332 (Lincoln Y-blocks used as HD truck engines). The Lincoln derived Y-blocks will have a ram's horn style exhaust manifold with a center outlet.

Even though the engines are breaker point ignition they may have ball bearing breaker plates, if they are the off-center pivot style, you may be able to convert to a DS-I or DS-II system, but they are pretty damn reliable engines. All are solid lifter requiring valve adjustments.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Jonathan,
What are the dimensions of the 1,000 tank you have?

I'm just taking a WAG, but if 8' long seems should be at least 5' diameter.

But  I haven't done the math, I'm just trying to grasp the scale and CG of this thing.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
First, that’s a great picture! Second, I saw a bullnose yesterday that looks like yours. Made me smile, an old ranch truck in pretty good shape and still kicking!

If you use your trailer, about 3/4 full would be gross weight. If the road isn’t bad and you’re going slow the trailer would probably take the full tank, but I would expect things to break or wear faster. And I would probably try it with the tranny in it.

An F600 with a higher gross weight, but under CDL weight would be great. Might even be able to do both tanks.

Might be a challenge for parts and repair, or it might work great for years.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by old55pete
The tires I bought for my F350 are Firestone Transforce 215/85R-16 and are LR E. Easy for me to find as the school buses here use them. They are rated for more load than my axle (7400 lbs).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Jim, you have an excellent eye... the tank is 9’ long and roughly 5’ diameter. For whatever reason, the compact density of water in a tank hauls much nicer than other loads of equal weight. I am guessing it is just the distribution and center of gravity. That all changes if the tank isn’t full. As you mentioned, if that weight starts moving things get exciting... fast!

Old55pete, your account of the F450 echos what others have said. The trucks are extremely capable but slow. 73mph is no doubt empty, or at least on flat ground. For my intended use that is a non issue. I am guessing it is still faster than an older F600/700. On the tires, the certification label says 235/85R16 E. That is what I currently run on my ‘81. The tire sidewall says at 80psi the load rating is 2778lbs run as duals. So times 4 would be 11,112lbs. If I had a light flatbed that would be just about the max, and I would prefer to seek out a 12 or 14 ply (rated) tire. I am aware that good rubber will not come cheap. A new set of F600 tires (if I were to go that route) might exceed the prices of the trucks I am looking at. This is part of the equation, and I suspect the F450 actually holds an advantage as far as tire price.

Grumpin, a non-CDL F600/700 might indeed allow me to haul even more than 1,000 gallons. I have thought about that since I own to of the basket tanks. If I can great, if not, 1,000 at a time will be wonderful. Our below ground cistern is 2,300 gallons. I will add another large above ground tank when we get more serious about gardening (a passion my wife and I share).

On the transmission, I pretty well know the T19 won’t get a 10,000 lb trailer rolling without using the transfer case low range. Our Streamline camper is 5,000 lbs and it does okay on the flat, but on any incline it really struggles (4.02 first gear x 3.00 axle gears). With the 275 gallon water tank (~2,300 lbs) it starts out with ease, but if I get too aggressive with the throttle and clutch I can smell the clutch. Pulling a 10,000 lb. trailer would be murder on the clutch if it worked at all. But I’m really thinking a heavier truck is going to be the thing to do...

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Jonathan, F-450's never came with a ratio like that.
4.30, 4.88, 5.xx.  I think 4.10 was available as a highway gear.

All the above are a far cry from 3.00:1
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Jim, I was replying to Grumpin regarding my F150 gears and pulling the water tank on my trailer... not going to go over so well without a low 1st gear transmission... the usual axle ratio for the F-450’s is a 5.13 Dana 80. And even the diesel F450 got the wide ratio ZF with 5.72 first gear...

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yep, I knew it was 5.xx but for some reason I was thinking 5.11, and I wasn't certain.  

But 16" wheels work to your advantage here.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Just to let you know, I'm following this but don't have a lot to contribute.  However, I do think the 5.72 synchro'd 1st gear could get about anything rolling.  And with a 5.13 rear you are looking at a 29.34:1 gear ratio.  Compare that to your close-ratio T-18 and 3.00 gears at 12.06.  In fact, that's essentially the same as your's in 4lo of 31.43 - assuming you have the NP208.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
My best friend in high school's uncle ran a commercial yard care business that also dealt in porta-johns.

The truck that they used to suck those johns out was a '86 F-600 and it had a 1500 gallon tank on it which was split between waste and clean water. Never had any issues with it.

The fire department had a old dodge M-57 power wagon that had a big water tanker on it without any issues either.

I've seen F-450s in use for hauling liquids on the bed and loaded down for fire department use as well but no idea how much that weighs.

Another option may be an old Izuzu NPR or other delivery truck. Modify the bed to haul your tank.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew