These aren't my favorite trucks. . .

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

These aren't my favorite trucks. . .

PetesPonies
sorry. But I'm honest and I do like them, I own two. But here  is some recognition  . . . .

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/03/23/suvs-to-buy-sell-or-hold-in-2018?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=18_Mar_28_HagertyNews
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: These aren't my favorite trucks. . .

Rembrant
My Uncle was a Jeep guy and he bought a new CJ8 Scrambler in the early 80's after years of running the old Commandos. I forget what year it was...1982 maybe. It was dark brown, and he installed a set of those white wagon wheel rims. The truck looked really nice. He ran it into the early 1990's and when he was done with it, it was just a parts truck basically. Rotted out and worn out. Years of 4 wheelin', snow plowing, and salt. It was done. I wanted it and he wouldn't sell it to me. I think the guy that bought it only wanted the diffs and was going to junk the rest of it.

It was the only Scrambler in our town, and it was the only one I had ever laid eyes on for 20 years or more, until I came across another one in Utah on a work trip years later.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
Cool!  May some day own a Bullnose Bronco, but if they are going up I'd bet the pickups are as well.  Maybe not as fast or as high, but up nonetheless.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
That's my take as well. The  66-77 have gone nutso, out of most people's range. The 78/79 has just recently spiked, they were dirt cheap too just a couple years ago. So I guess it is normal to expect the next series to start to climb. Plus the fact that the Bronco is coming back out. That always helps the older versions as well.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Another cold snap out here, so I spent my day parts hunting. Incredible how all the old trucks seem to have disappeared this year. Even the 87 to 96 trucks are hard to find and priced quite a bit higher than I expected.

Probably should not get too greedy as I already have enough projects to keep me busy for the rest of my days.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
NotEnoughTrucks wrote
Another cold snap out here, so I spent my day parts hunting. Incredible how all the old trucks seem to have disappeared this year. Even the 87 to 96 trucks are hard to find and priced quite a bit higher than I expected.
I noticed this year there are a lot of Bullnose wanted ads online. Seems like more than usual. I often check across the country, killing time while having coffee if nothing else. Fewer trucks available, and more people looking for them. I can't say that it's a bad idea...that is how I found the one I have. Posted an ad of what I was looking for, and had two hits within a week.

Not sure what it means for the value of them.

And yes, all the 87-96 trucks I'm seeing are priced higher...and they're rust buckets.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Supply and demand.  If there are more people wanting them then demand is up.  In that case the prices go up.

I really like the posts on here showing what is being advertised out there.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the supply of good trucks is in the NW, and that's consistent with what people have told me in the past.  So surely those that really are looking can find one by trolling the adverts from there.

However, the big problem when you find something that is interesting is having it checked out before you fly out to see it for the first time since the cost of an airline ticket is getting close to the cost of the truck.  Hmmmm.....

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
However, the big problem when you find something that is interesting is having it checked out before you fly out to see it for the first time since the cost of an airline ticket is getting close to the cost of the truck.  Hmmmm.....
Gary, on another forum I am on they have "can you help" area, bigger forum so why it's own area.
Anyway you can ask other members that might be close to the car/truck if they can look it over, take pictures and give back the information gathered. Cant always trust the seller and think it works pretty good.

On here I guess you could just post up help needed and the state / city and see if you get any bites?
Dave G.
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, we are small enough that approach would work fairly well.  However, we don't know where everyone is so don't really know whom to ask.

What if we had a listing of who is willing to help and where they are?  People that are willing to help other members on here, and I would probably stress only members on here to keep the load down, could tell me that they are willing to help and where they are located.  I could maintain the first post in that thread by editing it based on what people say.  And y'all could look at the location, pick someone close, and email that person via the included email system in the forum.

It might look something like:

REGION/USER NAME/REAL NAME/AREA

Oklahoma:
Gary Lewis; Tulsa Area

Texas:

Etc

But, each member would obviously be able to say "I'm sorry, I can't do that right now."  Or whatever.

Anyway, thoughts?  And, what do you see when you click on the link on my name, above?

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
That link takes me straight to your profile.

I'd always be willing to help, but sometimes the world is a big place. For example, I'm probably the only member here is Saskatchewan, Canada. My area is Melville, (smallest city in Saskatchewan). Eastern edge of Saskatchewan. Our biggest urban areas, which also are the most likely spots for vehicle sales would be Regina, (1.5 hours away) and Saskatoon,(3 hours away). Some parts of the province may be a 6 hour drive! Manitoba is a 1 hour drive east, but Winnipeg is 6 hours away. Used to make that trip every week when I worked for the railroad.

Of course, I'm retired and would always be up for a road trip, but our fearless leader here in Canada has determined to extract every tax dollar he can out of our pockets for gasoline, prices jumped $0.10 a litre just this weekend. Some trips may need gas money.

Still, if you are buying out of your area, some sellers are reassured if you can name a local contact. Too much scamming out there these days. Personally, I have traveled as far as Texas and Missouri to buy cars off eBay and it worked out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ray - I'll put up a topic in Resources this afternoon/evening with your info and mine, and others can chime in if/when they want.  Thanks.

(Afternoon is my hoped-for time for this, but it all depends on how things go fixing the headlight bucket on Big Blue, which is a necessity.)

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've put the topic up in Resources/Willing To Help.  See what you think.  And I'll start a new thread telling people about it.