Thermactor/Smog Pump Rebuild

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Thermactor/Smog Pump Rebuild

Dyn Blin
Good evening all.  For now, I need to keep the emissions equipment stock and functional.  Last week my pump started making some painful noises.  I removed it and broke it partially down over the weekend.  The interior is pretty clean, surprisingly, and the carbon vanes in decent shape, however, the bearing is very tired.

'Seems a shame to trash it and pay for a remanufactured.  Does anyone have experience with a successful DIY rebuild?  Any pointers beyond the bearing swap?
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Thermactor/Smog Pump Rebuild

PetesPonies
I have taken them apart myself. But never for rebuild, always for removing the vanes  :) That way they spin and look stock, but offer no resistance.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dyn Blin
No experience rebuilding them, just removing them.  Probably have a spare or two.  Want one?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
Someone could learn more than a few things from you, Pete.  Good idea for a JY pull with a good bearing.  Thanks.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Even better, Gary.  I'll drop you a line.  Deeply obliged.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hey, I'm in your debt, big time.  Happy to send you one or two.  But let me check to ensure it/they seem to work.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Here's a tidbit . . even the air pumps from the 90s, looked very, very, very similar to ones from the 60s. Not quite enough for a concour restore, but certainly good enough for an average show  :) Little was changed, very little.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
You may be able to find a replacement bearing if you can find any numbers on it. Amazon has excellent prices on small bearings.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Thanks again Pete.  That'll give me a lot of flexibility.  

I'm not keeping it roll off the floor stock, rather just trying to keep it CA BAR compliant until they ever decide to relax the emissions rules for our rides.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Great reminder Bill.  I keep forgetting they are a great resource and often we'll priced for small quantities.  

I've had good luck walking into the Grainger store, too, if I find someone behind the counter that likes a challenge.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
You owe me not a haypenny Gary.  I've learned more on this forum than I could ever hope to give back.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Maybe a farthing then?  

Haven't been to the shop yet today, but maybe later this afternoon or at least tomorrow.  Will check out the pump(s) then.

In T-Town at a Barnes & Nobles.  Gotta buy this 2019 London Guide as it has so many pics of places we've been and may want to go again.  Good memories that I want to share tonight with Janey.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Grainger is fantastic, but the nearest one to me is roughly 70 miles including a $20 round trip toll. I do have an online account with them which helps.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
The small bearing is no problem.
The large ring bearing is pricey.

I went to eBay, but don't recall what it cost.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mark - My pump is frozen up as well.  Sorry.  You are welcome to it but I seriously doubt that you want it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Ah, they do tend to fall to that entropy state.  I'll perform the same work needed for yours on the one I've got.  Thanks for checking that reserve inventory- my old kit tends to migrate to the least convenient locations.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Post-script to this-

I found a vendor that offers rebuilds of these & offers a separate DIY kit with bearings, and both styles of carbon strips these pumps use.  After I get a chance to test their offerings, I'll post back to close out the thread.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Reply | Threaded
|

estes8693
Gary,

Is there a post describing how to remove this system in its entirety?

Thanks.
1986 F150 2WD Single Cab. 351HO .030 over. C6 Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't think there is one post about removing the thermactor pump.  There are probably many posts about that subject.  Nor do we have a page on that in the documentation.  But we do have a page with illustrations and part #'s here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/thermactor-systems.html.

I'm not exactly sure why, but it isn't all that difficult to do.  But, before doing that you need to think about why the pump is there - to put air/oxygen into the catalytic converter.  So without the pump the converter(s) won't work properly and may clog.

Also, the thermactor system doesn't use enough power to make much difference, so there's not much benefit in removing it.

Anyway, you don't have a signature and didn't say what your engine is, so I'm not sure what more to say.