The stock front height on the 1986 F250 4x4 6.9 IDI

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The stock front height on the 1986 F250 4x4 6.9 IDI

Romel
I just wonder if anybody knows the stock height the front spring should be from the rubber spring limiter, it seems to me  less than an inch is stupidly small.  The camber is not right, I do believe it is the front spring sagging over the time. I do not have any intention of lifting, I just want to keep it stock.
Thanks
Jan
1986 XLT Lariat F250 6.9 IDI, supercab, sidewinder, psd intercooler, hydroboost
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The stock front height on the 1986 F250 4x4 6.9 IDI

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jan, do you have twin traction beams on your truck or the monobeam (live axle) If you have the twin traction beam, the clearance is somewhat small due to the length of the axle from the pivot out to the bump stop. My 2WD truck only has about 1" between the axle beam and the bump stop. If you have ball joints, the camber can be adjusted with bushings at the upper ball joint, if not, the old rule a front end man gave me years ago on a 1987 F250 with the 7.5L engine was this: With the truck on a level floor, run it back and forth then check the camber with a level positioned on matching blocks at the wheel rim. It should be vertical. If not then, if both sides are off, I would carefully raise the front of the truck until the wheels are vertical to see how much it will take. If the truck appears level viewed from the side at this point, good indication the springs have sagged.

Now you have the replace or add some sort of extra spring to solve the problem. Darth was a little low and slight negative camber, when I added my front sway bar mounts the extra amount from the brackets corrected it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The stock front height on the 1986 F250 4x4 6.9 IDI

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Romel
Jan - I can't find an easy answer to your question.  But, one can be derived, sort of.  On the Alignment page you will find a range of ride heights and how/where to measure them.  Note that you are supposed to have the truck on level ground and you must measure the angle of the frame with the ground at a spot just ahead of the rear wheels, as shown on Page 6.

And, on the Dimensions and Weights page you will find the Lift Heights of the trucks.  You can measure your LH at the rear of the bed and compare that with the table.  And if you have a deviation then you need to consider why.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI